Chuck Liddell on why he doesn't like GSP and Jones playing it safe

That's why I love wand... Fought mark hunt on fucking 3 days notice?

safe.gif

But the problem is that even by your standard that they are "in the business to make money and provide for their families", Jon Jones should have taken an easy ass fight against Sonnen which DOES make him more money and provide for his family, rather than sit out and not fight.

He did fight a month later.

It depends on a fighters skills. Everyone can finish with a sub, ko, tko, but a dominating decision isn't bad unless of course they beat guys to a pulp for all 3 or 5 rounds when they could have finished them many rounds earlier.

I agree with the points Chuck makes but I think the days of the hero champion are coming to an end. There's a lot more at risk these days with a loss than just losing the the title. There's a lot more money in play and champions are going to do whatever they can to get the most out of their career. It may not make for exciting fights and times but to a large extent it's hard to blame them. I vastly prefer chuck over almost any fighter to grace the octagon but I also know his style wasn't conducive to his longevity and overall health. You aren't going to see too many more like him but I enjoyed watching him while he was throwing down in the cage.

Then you should probably stfu too.

LOL. No kidding.

So now you say if shogun was champion he would have fought anyone so shogun only fights anyone when he is champion.

Shogun turned down jones at UFC 152 and declined Jon Jones on one month notice. Shogun didnt just turn down Glover, he also turned down Jones on a one month notice.

Now all of a sudden he only fights anyone at anytime when he is champion. This is some spin and hypocrisy Grinding. I know you are a big shogun fan but this is some reaching that you seem to not be willing to give to GSP and Jones.

The fact of the matter is Shogun has turned down two fights, Jones on one month notice and Texiera and now all of sudden you dont want to label him what you so explicitly enjoy labeling Jones and GSP.

Its smells bad.

Just be glad that Shogun isn't a top 3 right now. It was like this but 10x worse when he was one.

Chuck's current state is an example of why "playing it safe" is usually the best way to go.

Thread title: "Chuck Liddell on why he doesn't like GSP"

Chuck's comment: "I love St. Pierre"

lolwut?

I agree with Chuck, but the stakes have gone WAY up since Chuck was knocking guys out for a couple grand.
On the other hand, these guys are making millions because of guys like Chuck.

it's a entertainment business, you wanna wrestle a guy all rounds like jon fitch or gsp go do something else this is ultimate fighting champions, we fans watch so we get entertaint

that is the go to argument. BUT:

1) GSP is a HUGE ppv draw (I don't fucking understand this at all, but there it is)

2) jones is crazy exciting to watch (said as a jones hater...or former one....I'm getting used to him)

so.....there's that.

With all due respect to Chuck-
The sport has evolved, smart fighters are just not going to take same risk as the previous generation of fighters.
The same way Chucks generation was safer than the first batch of UFC fighters.

In addition to that, Chuck has probably suffered damage from his style of fighting, who knows to what extent.

:icon_neut

Jones playing it safe? The hell?

GSP and Jones are athletes.

Chuck is a fighter.

I think that's the difference.

If the UFC went bankrupt GSP and Jones would find something else to do.

Chuck would have been fighting behind bars for 50 bucks either way.

If Jones had a chance in hell of playing in the NFL/NBA he wouldn't have been a college dropout living in his girlfriend's basement. Only recruiters that ever talked to him were in d1 wrestling.

I don't see how Jones is playing it safe he's finished 9 out of his last 11 fights, 10 if not for the bogus Hamill loss. Chuck Liddell only has 14 finishes in his entire career Jon Jones already has 15.

Chuck is right, everybody knows it.

Back