Chuck Liddell on why he doesn't like GSP and Jones playing it safe

The problem tho, is both of those guys have already accomplished more in mma than chuck did his entire career but whatever. I guess chuck gets to sit back and criticize superior fighters.

So let me get this straight Grinding

Shogun ducking Glover which to you is not similar to what jones did with chael.

Shogun did the same thing as jones, jones actually turned down fighting on 8 days notice and actually wanted to fight cheal after the fact. Shogun wanted nothing to do with Glover and said he was not interested in the fight.

Shogun wasn't headlining a bullshit event.

GSP and Jones are athletes.

Chuck is a fighter.

I think that's the difference.

If the UFC went bankrupt GSP and Jones would find something else to do.

Chuck would have been fighting behind bars for 50 bucks either way.

Wouldn't chuck just have gotten into accounting or whatever his degree was in?

Prime chuck woulda be a bad bad fight for jones imo

can i get the full interview/article where he actually names gsp and jones as guys playing it too safe?
not trying to call bs but i haven't seen anything where he names them. it seems like he was ripping on fitch more because he started talking about guys playing it safe then alluding tofitch and not being paid alot because he was boring.

Why is Belfort on this list?

Because his first fight was against a John Hess, who was 6'7" 295, bare knuckle. Then he fought Tra Tillegman and Scott Ferrozo on the same day, bare knuckle. Then he kept fighting for the next 17 years.

Please show respect.

Yeah i totally agree with Chuck. Don't play it safe and get KTFO in your last 3 fights and retire a loser.

Shogun wasn't headlining a bullshit event.

Who cares if shogun was not headlining a bullshit event, its the same thing outside of Shogun being your favorite fighter and you having an excuse for him but it is the same thing.

It seems hard for you to come to grips with it and label Shogun what you labeled Jones and GSP but he is what you label both fighters.

Jones did not want to fight Cheal on 8 days notice which is fair. Shogun did not want to fight Glover when presented with the Glover fight and turned it down.

Shogun also did not want to fight jones on 1 month notice when he was offered the fill in spot for that same fight you are talking about and on top of that he did he want to fight Glover when presented to him.

But somehow Shogun is different, I wonder why, this is sherdog so we can all understand why.

Chuck is such a legend

but not everyone can be like chuck, some fighter don't want to take risk and want to keep their belt forever. Jones and GSP are one of them and i don't think we can blame from acting like that.

chuckrandyko.gif

One mistake and it's lights out.
chuckrandy.gif

chucktito1.gif

chuckhorn.gif

Who cares if shogun was not headlining a bullshit event, its the same thing outside of Shogun being your favorite fighter and you having an excuse for him but it is the same thing.

It seems hard for you to come to grips with it and label Shogun what you labeled Jones and GSP but its the same thing.

Jones did not want to fight Cheal on 8 days notice which is fair. Shogun did not want to fight Glover when presented with the Glover fight and turned it down.

Shogun also did not want to fight jones on 1 month notice when he was offered the fill in spot for that same fight you are talking about and on top of that he did he want to fight Glover when presented to him. But Shogun is different, I wonder why.

Shogun accepted Sonnen on 1 month notice. Shogun vs Glover wasn't going to save an event from being canceled.

Unfortunately it's legal but it shouldn't be. Still knocked off 2 top MW's.

Yeah. I just think his case is shady because he can't use it in the states and his last 2 fights have been in Brazil. Although I'm not pro-TRT I'm also not like champing at the bit to ban it...I just don't think a steroid user should be allowed to.

Anderson vs TRT Vitor is an exciting fight, though.

Wouldn't chuck just have gotten into accounting or whatever his degree was in?

Can you see Chuck doing that? I can't remember verbatim what he said, but it one of the UFC specials he was like "yeah, eventually they made me declare a major so I chose accounting" - didn't sound too into it.

That's funny coming from a guy that's rocking an Overeem AV.

I'm too lazy to change it. Overeem is a cheat and very **** guy. I love to watch him fight but he's not one of my top 3 favorite fighters anymore for sure.

I want to agree with Chuck because I've thought similar things myself, but Chuck was also known for thumbing a lot of fighters and that's something I've never heard about this new breed. They play by the rules and they win by the rules, with all the positives and negatives that entails.

If his only reasoning of Jones playing it safe is by him not taking a fight on short notice, then he's an idiot.

The Jones situation could be more than just taking a fight on 8 days notice. It might have to do with money. Remember that one time when Dana asked Machida to take a fight on short notice, and Machida's manager asked for more money and Dana went crazy?! Lol

Can't fault the Iceman for having his own opinion on things, Chuck was a guy who would go full force in the ring and leave nothing to speculation. We are watching the new breed of fighters coming up and they approach fights differently. I agree with him on GSP but disagree with him on Jones and I dislike Jones.

Just looks like Chuck trying to validate his own fighting style. In a way he's making excuses for his own losses by criticising guys who win by playing it safe.

Shogun accepted Sonnen on 1 month notice. Shogun vs Glover wasn't going to save an event from being canceled.

They don't make em like they use to.

Nog, Wand, Hendo, Belfort, Penn & Shogun are the last of the "Chuck Liddell" type of fighter. Anybody, anytime.

Grinding this is what you wrote

Now read our thread and come back to the conversation. You said they are the last of the anytime and anybody fighters.

But shogun turned down a Jones fight on 1 month notice and he turned down Glover Texiera becuase he didnt want to fight him for some reason.

So how can he be an anytime or anybody fighter.

I think its you and your shogun fandom that is the issue.

Back