Chuck Liddell on why he doesn't like GSP and Jones playing it safe

Grinding this is what you wrote

Now read our thread and come back to the conversation. You said they are the last of the anytime and anybody fighters.

But shogun turned down a Jones fight on 1 month notice and he turned down Glover Texiera becuase he didnt want to fight him for some reason.

So how can he be an anytime or anybody fighter.

I think its you and your bias that is the issue.

I said they needed game plans which is why Jones turned down Sonnen.

I said they needed game plans which is why Jones turned down Sonnen.

What you wrote was that shogun was the last of the anytime and anybody fighters. You then go to label jones and GSP things you wont label Shogun for some reason.

So I will ask again, did Shogun need a gameplan when he turned down Jones and Texiera because he did turn down jones on 1 month notice and turned down fighting Texiera at any time.

My issue is you are quick to label jones and GSP but when it comes to Shogun a fighter who has done more than both fighters in terms of turning down opponents you seem vacant on the idea.

Its hypocritical

Last edited:
tho on some levels i agree with chuck, i also try to look at it from GSP's side, he has taken very little damage, made an insane amount of money, and after he's retire (assuming he doesn't stay in the game longer then he should) he will still be a physically and mentally healthy human being, which realistically should be the thing he cares about

on the Jones situation i agree, he should have taken the fight imo, just because i don't see how chael beats Jones

I thought I was gunna come in and make a joke about his chin(love chuck) but what he said was real as hell. So I couldn't

His chin was ridiculously good in his prime. Eating flush head kicks with full shin impact in a bare knuckle fight against Pele was incredible.

Fighter's are in this business to make money and provide for their families, I don't know why that is so hard to understand. They are not gladiator's fighting for glory or anything like that.

What you wrote was that shogun was the last of the anytime and anybody fighters. You then go to label jones and GSP things you wont label Shogun for some reason.

So I will ask again, did Shogun need a gameplan when he turned down Jones and Texiera because he did turn down jones on 1 month notice and turned down fighting Texiera at any time.

My issue is you are quick to label jones and GSP but when it comes to Shogun a fighter who has done more than both fighters in terms of turning down opponents you seem vacant on the idea.

Its disingenuous

True, love him or hate him Sonnen is probably one of the last. Penn when he was fighting. Anyone, anytime, any weight class. If Penn had stayed at LW his whole career his record would be ridiculously good so there is a significant trade off.

Fighter's are in this business to make money and provide for their families, I don't know why that is so hard to understand. They are not gladiator's fighting for glory or anything like that.

realistically this, GSP will get a lot of heat now because he isn't finishing fights, yet when he retires with millions in his bank account while still being able to talk like a healthy individual, he will be the one happy and regarded as one of the GOATS

Its disingenuous

Shogun has fought any and everyone. Who has Glover fought? Fight made no sense and Shogun deserved better. If Shogun was champion, he would have fought whoever the UFC gave him, like the Jones fight.

Shogun has fought any and everyone. Who has Glover fought? Fight made no sense and Shogun deserved better. If Shogun was champion, he would have fought whoever the UFC gave him, like the Jones fight.

who has chael beat to fight jones? you can't make a statement like anyone and everyone and then put down certain scenario's where he doesn't have to do that

So now you say if shogun was champion he would have fought anyone so shogun only fights anyone when he is champion.

Shogun turned down jones at UFC 152 and declined Jon Jones on one month notice. Shogun didnt just turn down Glover, he also turned down Jones on a one month notice.

Now all of a sudden he only fights anyone at anytime when he is champion. This is some spin and hypocrisy Grinding. I know you are a big shogun fan but this is some reaching that you seem to not be willing to give to GSP and Jones.

The fact of the matter is Shogun has turned down two fights, Jones on one month notice and Texiera and now all of sudden you dont want to label him what you so explicitly enjoy labeling Jones and GSP.

Its smells bad.

Last edited:
So now Jones does not deserve better but Shogun deserves better. You also say if shogun was champion he would have fought anyone so shogun only fights anyone when he is champion.

How come he didnt fight jones at UFC 152 when he declined Jon Jones on one month notice. Shogun didnt just turn down Glover, he also turned down Jones on a one month notice.

Now all of a sudden he only fight anyone when he is champion. This is some spin and hypocrisy Grinding. I know you are a big shogun fan but this is some reaching that you seem to not be willing to give to GSP and Jones.

The fact of the matter is Shogun has turned down two fights, Jones on one month notice and Texiera and now all of sudden you dont want to label him what you so explicitly enjoy labeling Jones and GSP.

Its smells bad.

I still have Wand :icon_chee

But the problem is that even by your standard that they are "in the business to make money and provide for their families", Jon Jones should have taken an easy ass fight against Sonnen which DOES make him more money and provide for his family, rather than sit out and not fight.

But the problem is that even by your standard that they are "in the business to make money and provide for their families", Jon Jones should have taken an easy ass fight against Sonnen which DOES make him more money and provide for his family, rather than sit out and not fight.

if he thought it was a risk taking the fight then that's his decision, if he thought it was free money he would have taken the fight, but clearly he didn't think that,

But the problem is that even by your standard that they are "in the business to make money and provide for their families", Jon Jones taking an easy ass fight against Sonnen DOES make him more money and provide for his family, rather than sit out and not fight.

No, he didn't want to take any risks on a short notice fight. He could have easily destroyed Sonnen but he didn't feel comfortable taking that fight without being fully prepared for it because in case of a loss it would have been bad for his financial success. Now if he was a gladiator fighting for glory in Rome, that would be a different story.

Back