Christmas Party Story

Vergilius

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
We had our office Christmas party 14 days ago. I was the MC, and it was pretty great. However, there was one unfortunate incident: a guy in his 50’ies got drunk and grabbed the asses of two young women there (both in their 20'ies). I don’t know this guy that well, but he’s nice enough normally. He had a difficult year with a stress diagnosis and is a single father to two boys. He was quite drunk, though, never seen him like that before.

One of the girls was really upset and told him off to his face. When I heard what had happened, I got hold of him, told him to apologize and steered him out the door, which he acquiesced to.

I spoke to the girls over Christmas, and they are ok, but they’ve sent a complaint to management, and I’ve been called in as a witness.

Here’s my dilemma: I kind of feel bad for the guy. He was a drunk douche, for sure, but to me he’s more pathetic than anything else, and the fact that he’s a single father to teenage boys and already had a terrible year… I find myself not wanting anything too bad to happen to him. At the same time, it wasn’t my ass that was grabbed so maybe it’s none of my business.

I’m friendly with the two women and especially one of them is not inclined to be merciful… I don’t know what management is thinking, but I could maybe have an opportunity to put my thumb on the scale a little bit, and maybe I could even get the girls to let up a bit. But I just dunno. The guy made his own bed for sure.

So what say ye, Sherdog? When I go in to testify, I’m definitely going to state the facts of what happened… but should I also call for mercy or just state the facts and let the chips fall where they may?

That drunk guy is the reason why we can't have nice things and office Christmas parties anymore...

State what you saw and try to leave out your personal feelings. In today's retaliatory corporate environment, better to stay out of trouble.

Also, pics of the asses that were grabbed?

Last edited:
You’re a horrible friend and enabler if you don’t say anything.

Or it’s just business as usual and he should be allowed to grab em by the pussy, yolo?

He's already fired no matter what, you cant change that, companies dont joke around about sexual harassment

You may be right, but we are not in the US and norms in my country tend to be a bit more lenient. There is a generational difference, though, a lot of the women over 30 in the office feel like this sort of thing isn't that big of a deal, but the younger ones disagree.

It was a bit of a weird atmosphere today after the holiday: the girls acted like nothing had happened and told me that they had nothing to feel bad about - he's the one who messed up (and I completely understand).

The guy was also talking normally in another part of the office like it was just another morning at work.

I felt like I was acting more awkward than all of them combined at times.

Dunno what I'll say tomorrow morning when I go in to give my account.

He's already fired no matter what, you cant change that, companies dont joke around about sexual harassment

Companies fire people for telling their co-workers they look pretty after they get their hair done.

This guy is beyond fired.

He is only crime was not being a good looking man.

giphy.gif

Let's play a game.

Your daughter comes home to you and tells you a drunk older man at the office party helped himself uninvited to a grab of her ass.

How do you feel about that?

Your sister comes home to you and tells you a drunk man at the office party helped himself uninvited to a grab of her ass.

Your wife comes home to you and tells you a drunk man at the office party helped himself uninvited to a grab of her ass.

Let's play a game.

Your daughter comes home to you and tells you a drunk older man at the office party helped himself uninvited to a grab of her ass.

Your sister comes home to you and tells you a drunk man at the office party helped himself uninvited to a grab of her ass.

Your wife comes home to you and tells you a drunk man at the office party helped himself uninvited to a grab of her ass.

anigif_sub-buzz-11780-1593712672-8.gif

Stay on the fence as much as you can, but don't go out on a limb for the guy. I mean, he grabbed two asses and was drunk. Kind of self-destructive behavior, really. Does it make him irredeemable? No, although I wonder what's up with him at 50. Will it ruin the other two women? No, it won't. He should be fired, though.

He should probably bow out and quick resign, deal with the consequences. Like you said, different culture, so maybe he can keep his job.

Let's play a game.

Yeah, I've tried thinking about it like that. In all instances, I think the guy is a gross douche and I want him to make restitution - I might even want to slap him around... but context is king: if the guy apologizes, gets spanked by management and tries to make amends, I don't neccessarily need him hung, drawn and quartered... or fired.

He is only crime was not being a good looking man.

Well, he's like 53 and the two girls are in their 20'ies. His targetting system was faulty too.

For real, another female coworker today told me that she's had her ass grabbed many times and in one instance, she slapped the guy who did it, but in another she just turned around and smiled. "It depends on the guy" as the put it. She's 36, though, and that might make a difference.

...though come to think of it, one of the two 20-something girls isn't that fazed either. "I'm a former bartender", she said, "the weird thing was that I've never spoken to this guy before and then he went and took liberties. So that's why I'm complaining. If you had done it, Vergilius, I'd have told you that you are a drunk idiot, but that would have been that".

Back