Chris Weidman "Im a good enough striker to not get KO'd by Anderson"

The gif illustrates just one punch. The fact is Sonnen outstruck Anderson all fight.

The question is 'was that because of the td threat?' i say yes. I say the td threat of a good grappler can make the idea of someone outstriking Anderson not unreasonable.

If you are not smart enough to follow the discussion do not comment.

No doubt, the TD threat changes everything. However, you can't only have that. Chael also has an iron chin, great cardio, and is extremely aggressive. If Weidman pushes the pace from the beginning, and has the cardio to sustain that pace, he has a chance of outstriking Silva by keeping him guessing with TDs. He also needs that great chin, though, because nobody has ever fought Silva without getting tagged hard a few times. I'm not sure what his composure under fire is like.

Respond to a question with a question.. Usually a sign that you been beat..

However, Ill play your game. He beat Wand 2 times in stand up fights, Chuck Liddell, and went to split decision with Dan Henderson. Dominated those guys? No he didn't. But anyone NOT on the elite level he dominated..

Now I asked you a question as to why you have such high regards for Weidmans striking.. What has he done to show you that? He landed a damn good strike on Munoz that put him away, sure but need more then that...

I don't know, its just the way peoples who have training with him are hyping him. And also the fact I never perceived Franklin's striking as good. It was good when MW was terribly weak. I always felt like his striking was too slow and his defense sub-par. And I said probably, as in i im not 100% sure. God forbid me for saying Weidman probably have better striking than Franklin, i hope you'll be able to find sleep tonight after reading such an insanity :rolleyes:

He meant he's a good enough striker to stay conscious long enough to get the takedown. And he may well be right.

Weidman's a better striker than Rich Franklin? Stop trolling. I guess the guy in your avatar would beat Superman in a fight, huh?

I think most MW are better strikers than prime Franklin. Sport has evolved past him. Franklin got dropped maaaaaany times since the division filled itself. Forbid me for thinking that the best MW prospect probably have better striking than Franklin. :rolleyes:

I don't know, its just the way peoples who have training with him are hyping him. And also the fact I never perceived Franklin's striking as good. It was good when MW was terribly weak. I always felt like his striking was too slow and his defense sub-par. And I said probably, as in i im not 100% sure. God forbid me for saying Weidman probably have better striking than Franklin, i hope you'll be able to find sleep tonight after reading such an insanity :rolleyes:

Fair enough...

I guess what bothers me is proven fighters like Rich Franklin get a shit ton of hate and disrespect when guys who IMO are unproven like Weidman get put on a pedestal.

To each their own I guess.

I hope this is more that he's confident in his stand up rather than he's actually planning on standing with Anderson for an extended period of time, because that would be a bad idea. He needs to get this to the ground as early and often as possible.

I think most MW are better strikers than prime Franklin. Sport has evolved past him. Franklin got dropped maaaaaany times since the division filled itself. Forbid me for thinking that the best MW prospect probably have better striking than Franklin. :rolleyes:
Agreed. People seem to forget how much the sport has evolved. I told people Weidman would be a better win in my book for Anderson than Rich, and people were shocked because "Rich was a champ, and what has Weidman done." The guys are much better now than they were when Rich was champ. Weidman would be a substantial favorite against Rich, and would easily handle him.

Anderson fans are getting a bit ridiculous with the sensitivity.. You guys take everything as a personal attack against Silva.

Agreed. People seem to forget how much the sport has evolved. I told people Weidman would be a better win in my book for Anderson than Rich, and people were shocked because "Rich was a champ, and what has Weidman done." The guys are much better now than they were when Rich was champ. Weidman would be a substantial favorite against Rich, and would easily handle him.

Yep, thats the way i see it too.

Chris Weidman's striking at this point is much better than Anderson.
Anderson is an aging fighter.

I think he needs to retire.

Fair enough...

I guess what bothers me is proven fighters like Rich Franklin get a shit ton of hate and disrespect when guys who IMO are unproven like Weidman get put on a pedestal.

To each their own I guess.

Quoted for truth. Weidman has a higher ceiling than Franklin, and I don't think anyone doubts that. But as of NOW, he hasn't beaten anybody Franklin wouldn't have beaten.

You neglect to consider that Franklin sailed past his prime as MW was starting to get really good. Also, your point about Weidman being the best MW prospect is irrelevant here. He's the best MW prospect because of his already elite, and still improving, grappling skills.

Not only can he avoid the KO, he could possibly KO Anderson

I have never been as terrified this much leading into a fight :(

Yeah bro, I remember that one time when Weidman landed an elbow on Munoz as Mark lunged face forward throwing a huge looping punch.

Anderson is terrified too I'm certain, given that's how he fights too.

Its why Silva ducked Hamill as well after he KO'd the seemingly invincible Munoz.

Lol.

Anderson starched Henderson. Put Belfort out cold. Made Griffin look like a child after he had just faced Rampage and Shogun.

Yes Weidman, Anderson's strikes won't hurt you.

Yeah bro, I remember that one time when Weidman landed an elbow on Munoz as Mark lunged face forward throwing a huge looping punch.

Anderson is terrified too I'm certain, given that's how he fights too.

Its why Silva ducked Hamill as well after he KO'd the seemingly invincible Munoz.

Exactly. Anderson has terrible elbow defense and was exposed by Bonnar. If Weidman landed the elbow Bonnar landed Anderson would have to retire

Exactly. Anderson has terrible elbow defense and was exposed by Bonnar. If Weidman landed the elbow Bonnar landed Anderson would have to retire

I concur - a deep seated phobia of pointy elbows is why you never see him with Arianny Celeste (Or wanting to Fight Jon 'bones' Jones).

chrisww.gif

This will happen, except in reverse.
That is actually pretty slick.

Not true.

Not saying its a for gone conclusion Silva KO's him, but its likely and most certainly possible lol.

Back