****Canelo vs GGG on September 16*** Official Thread

Who do you have?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
You know, a lot of people are dumping on Mayweather for trying to steal the thunder of the Cotto vs Kamegai fight, and the Golovkin vs Alvarez fight (among others, probably). I really think Mayweather did this to try and prove something for his ego - namely that he still wants to feel relevant. He hates other people getting the spotlight so he tries to dampen them out. He picked a date when Cotto was fighting to spite him, and he picked a venue where Golovkin and Alvarez are fighting to spite them. These examples demonstrate him to be a man that really doesn't care about anyone but himself, and while there are countless people that will say, "who cares, he can do what he wants," there are countless others that would say that if you're such a big fan of him you really ought to realize that you are supporting a guy that is just trying to snub out the development of the sport that you love. And, to be perfectly honest, you wouldn't know who he is, if not for the sport. Yes, it's his prerogative, but then you have Muhammad Ali, who is beloved by all, not hatefully remembered, and that's because he had a different prerogative: people. So there's that.

Thing is, the boxing fans are gonna watch those actual boxing fights and they are gonna find the news and media they want for them. Simple as that. Radio channels that were broadcasting about how Mayweather vs McGregor was finally signed weren't already giving out all this boxing news already. They caught wind of the freakshow and it's out there. It's not like, for the most part, boxing fans are going to flock over to the Mayweather vs McGregor fight because most know that it's a dumb sideshow that's really just a veiled excuse for millionaires to make millions more.

In the Venn Diagram of fans, there really isn't much overlap: casuals and MMA fans on one side, boxing fans on the other. There might be some overlap in the middle, but it will be negligible. I really don't think he gets in the way of the boxing fights (other than Cotto vs Kamegai, which really just seems like a punitive act on his part).

Is Mayweather a great fighter? No doubt. But for a fighter that cares about legacy, he won't be near the hearts of so many fans once the sands of time wash over his memory, he'll just be defended by the people that like undefeated records (and this is, obviously, because he is a very effective fighter, so they'll like that too). But Marciano had an undefeated record and nobody hates him (wait, Larry Holmes might, right? lol). Mayweather may be a decent human being if you meet him (truly, maybe even a bleeding heart orphanage owner, for all I know), but he sure isn't showing much love for the sport that gave him all the opportunity that he has, and people will remember him for that. I expect some to say, "uh-uh," but also, I'll be right. He won't ruing big fights like GGG vs Canelo, and he won't enhance his reputation/image/legacy by beating a gut that (according to recent reports by the BBC) didn't even have ONE amateur fight.

I don't know about the whole psychoanalysis of Floyd since i don't know the man, but I agree with the gist. I'm a huge Mayweather fan. Loved watching his fights, his art, and dedication to his craft. But he's retired and should move on. I can't blame him for wanting to make money off an easy "fight" but he is stealing the spotlight for fights and fighters that are relevant to the future of the sport. Let others take the spotlight for once. I had no idea Cotto was fighting Kamegai on the same night. I will watch that over this McGregor Farce.

I think you're also right about that it's mostly casuals and perhaps MMA fans who are interested in the Mayweather/McGregor match. In real life, it's the casuals who excitedly talk about it. In my boxing gym people mention it and acknowledge how stupid it is and move onto GGG vs Canelo. I'm getting annoyed with people in real life trying to talk to me about it because they know I box so want my take on it.

I don't know about the whole psychoanalysis of Floyd since i don't know the man, but I agree with the gist. I'm a huge Mayweather fan. Loved watching his fights, his art, and dedication to his craft. But he's retired and should move on. I can't blame him for wanting to make money off an easy "fight" but he is stealing the spotlight for fights and fighters that are relevant to the future of the sport. Let others take the spotlight for once. I had no idea Cotto was fighting Kamegai on the same night. I will watch that over this McGregor Farce.

I think you're also right about that it's mostly casuals and perhaps MMA fans who are interested in the Mayweather/McGregor match. In real life, it's the casuals who excitedly talk about it. In my boxing gym people mention it and acknowledge how stupid it is and move onto GGG vs Canelo. I'm getting annoyed with people in real life trying to talk to me about it because they know I box so want my take on it.

Lol my buddies and coworkers know I box and I get the same. "Hey, did you hear about that Mayweather and what's his name fight?" I've heard that a few times, word for word. I tell them: "the real fight is on september 16th"

Lol my buddies and coworkers know I box and I get the same. "Hey, did you hear about that Mayweather and what's his name fight?" I've heard that a few times, word for word. I tell them: "the real fight is on september 16th"

I usually don't even talk about it. I got tired of explaining why it's a farce. Even my dad asked me who I think is going to win and I had to explain an NFL running back isn't going to beat Usain Bolt in 100m sprint just because the running back is pretty good at running. I feel like a little bit of logical thinking would answer that question but most casuals have no idea about fighting. Goes to tell you the masses will be hyped for a fight if business interests tell them it's a good fight.

I usually don't even talk about it. I got tired of explaining why it's a farce. Even my dad asked me who I think is going to win and I had to explain an NFL running back isn't going to beat Usain Bolt in 100m sprint just because the running back is pretty good at running. I feel like a little bit of logical thinking would answer that question but most casuals have no idea about fighting. Goes to tell you the masses will be hyped for a fight if business interests tell them it's a good fight.
I am hearing a lot of meh when the casuals even more than me hear it's going be a boxing fight

@wilddeuces
You could make a case that Oscar asked for it. He badmouths Floyd for years and he asked people to boycott his match.
It's not uncalled for to respond in this manner. It's ruthless but Oscar probably deserves it.

As for poor Cotto, yeah that was kinda mean...

Your post reminded me a video I watched recently about Robinson.
In the final minutes it showed the last match of Robinson's career.
See yourself the reaction of the crowd at 12:22
Such a huge recognition and respect from the people.

Great vid.

I miss the days where fights went 15 rounds and refs actually counted to 10.

could you just not be a hater and talk about one fight and talk about the other?

seems weird that your buddies and coworkers come to you to talk about something and you shut them down. If it were me i would cease to talk to you about shit since you were so stuck up that you know when a real fight is lol

You should just accept that this is a milestone in sports. Its an event that has never been done on this scale. I for one am excited to just see these two awesome fighters in the ring. Will it be competitive? probably for like 3 rounds maybe

but thats not the point of this fight. it truly is something which no has ever seen. the hype behind this is unreal. Theyre talking about this on NFL Network the other day interviewing nfl players on who they think will win. You dont hear that about any other fight.

My point is enjoy this fight for the spectacle and quit trying to down play it. Be a part of history. shit watch it with your dad. if hes not that into boxing but hes asking you about this then enjoy it with him while informing him of the next big fight and maybe you guys can enjoy that one together too

You should just accept that this is a milestone in sports. Its an event that has never been done on this scale. I for one am excited to just see these two awesome fighters in the ring. Will it be competitive? probably for like 3 rounds maybe

but thats not the point of this fight. it truly is something which no has ever seen. the hype behind this is unreal. Theyre talking about this on NFL Network the other day interviewing nfl players on who they think will win. You dont hear that about any other fight.

My point is enjoy this fight for the spectacle and quit trying to down play it. Be a part of history. shit watch it with your dad. if hes not that into boxing but hes asking you about this then enjoy it with him while informing him of the next big fight and maybe you guys can enjoy that one together too
Mayweather-De La Hoya and Mayweather-Pacquiao were bigger.
They asked everyone who they thought was going to win those fights.

I will say that Mayweather-De La Hoya was the last big one where people thought Mayweather had a little chance of losing.

I feel like not to many people were taking Pacquiao to win and obviously no one is taking McGregor to win.

Mayweather-De La Hoya and Mayweather-Pacquiao were bigger.
They asked everyone who they thought was going to win those fights.

I will say that Mayweather-De La Hoya was the last big one where people thought Mayweather had a little chance of losing.

I feel like not to many people were taking Pacquiao to win and obviously no one is taking McGregor to win.

Floyd made it that way, people just started accepting he wasnt going to lose.

The night of the pac fight there were some surveys on who you thought would win the fight. It was like 85% said pac would win. The commentator laughed and said I think thats just some wishful thinking

Not going to disagree that those were huge fights but so is this one

Floyd made it that way, people just started accepting he wasnt going to lose.

The night of the pac fight there were some surveys on who you thought would win the fight. It was like 85% said pac would win. The commentator laughed and said I think thats just some wishful thinking

Not going to disagree that those were huge fights but so is this one
This one's huge in a big movie budget way.
It's huge because it's suppose to be.

But Mayweather-De La Hoya was huge in regards to talent, Oscars name, and Floyds budding stardom. It felt more real and exciting for that fight.

I was surprised when Mayweather-Canelo did 2.3m ppvs. I didn't think that fight had that much clamour to the casuals.

Mayweather-Pacquiao was big but wasn't as fun. Soon as the fight became official, Pacquiao fans weren't as rabid as they once were.
Pac St Elite was even saying they know Floyds gonna win but they wish Pacquiao the best.
That sorta takes the gamesmanship out of it.

could you just not be a hater and talk about one fight and talk about the other?

seems weird that your buddies and coworkers come to you to talk about something and you shut them down. If it were me i would cease to talk to you about shit since you were so stuck up that you know when a real fight is lol

Naw. I can see why you get that from how I wrote, and that was for the sake of abbreviation. I mean, I could go over what we ordered at the pub. What other details does one need to include? I give a playful laugh, I tell them I'm not hosting for that fight, I tell them why, and I tell them about the fights I am hosting. They will show up because there is a mutual respect founded on honesty, integrity, support, trust and similar interests, so they get me, on top of all that. Furthermore, it was my friends, who said, "it'll probably be more one-sided than the May vs Pac fight." When speaking to them I supported my reasoning, praising Mayweather along the way, because he is that damn good. I guess that's what subjective haters do though, right?

They ask for the sake of small talk, I small talk back. Is normal. It's a good thing you don't know me, and it's probably for the best that we'll never meet, since people that jump to conclusions like that don't usually add to the lives of those around them.

I had the lamb burger with blue cheese, by the way, it was pretty good and I'm not a huge fan of blue cheese usually. But I gave it a chance, because, unlike you, I don't jump to conclusions.

That ought to cover it.

I'm not denying it's a spectacle (I'll watch McGregor get toyed with and pummeled before tuning into Cotto vs Kamegai) but a spectacle in itself yield merit. Mayweather vs Serena Williams in a boxing match would also be spectacle and so would if McGregor got in a cage with a chimpanzee but it get begets the question, why? The only reason this fight is getting hyped is because most people are stupid enough to get sucked into hype and think McGregor as any chance. Even last night a couple guys asked me who I think is going to win, to which I said Mayweather obviously, and one of them responded with, "You really think so?" I'm starting to lose respect for people who ask me this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back