****Canelo vs GGG on September 16*** Official Thread

Who do you have?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
The only problem is that's about twice as many seats to sell out. Is it worth selling tickets at artificially low prices to get a sellout?

Did Pacquiao sell it out when he fought there? I bet Canelo/GGG would do better in terms of attendance.

Did Pacquiao sell it out when he fought there? I bet Canelo/GGG would do better in terms of attendance.
I don't think he did. I guess it might but fans might be more inclined to travel to Vegas or New York for the fight. It should be a great fight wherever they stage it. I can't wait.

I like Canelo and he is one of my favorite fighters.

i just am not sure how he will do in bigger weight classes. I don't think he can hurt GGG.

And if GGG isn't scared of your power, he will work you.
I think Canelo powerful counters will repeatedly stop GGG from fighting his style. Canelo does have power in those hands for sure.

""I think Canelo is in his prime but Golovkin is not in his prime anymore," Brook told Sky Sports during filming Behind The Ropes. "I think he's still up there [among the world's best], but with the fight against me and Daniel Jacobs I think there's a blueprint that now they've got in their minds that he can be beaten."

"Triple G might be too strong and too much in his face. I can see a Golovkin knockout."

http://www.boxingscene.com/brook-fe...knock-canelo-out--116812#sthash.o4Zia18x.dpuf

For sure, Canelo is considered an underdog for this bout in September.

GGG has the upper hand but it will be a nail-biter, a thrilling match till the end.

""I think Canelo is in his prime but Golovkin is not in his prime anymore," Brook told Sky Sports during filming Behind The Ropes. "I think he's still up there [among the world's best], but with the fight against me and Daniel Jacobs I think there's a blueprint that now they've got in their minds that he can be beaten."

"Triple G might be too strong and too much in his face. I can see a Golovkin knockout."

http://www.boxingscene.com/brook-fe...knock-canelo-out--116812#sthash.o4Zia18x.dpuf

Not sure Canelo can suddenly grow taller and get a longer reach and develop the power Jacobs has between now and September.

Brook's "blueprint" didn't turn out so well for him unless having his skull broken was what he wanted to happen.

I have to wonder how much the Mayweather/McGredor fight is going to take away from this fight.

Mayweather and Dana messed with Oscar big time.
The guy tried to build this fight as a mega event for the last couple of years and now
it' might get overshadowed by a freak show.

No to mention that Floyd also messed with Cotto's fight. Poor Cotto also fights on the same day! lol

I have to wonder how much the Mayweather/McGredor fight is going to take away from this fight.
There is no shortage of money. If promoted professionally it will do very well

I hate crossover/sport matches, I'll buy GGG/Canelo and pass on the exhibition match the same way I passed on Toney/Randy back in the day.

You know, a lot of people are dumping on Mayweather for trying to steal the thunder of the Cotto vs Kamegai fight, and the Golovkin vs Alvarez fight (among others, probably). I really think Mayweather did this to try and prove something for his ego - namely that he still wants to feel relevant. He hates other people getting the spotlight so he tries to dampen them out. He picked a date when Cotto was fighting to spite him, and he picked a venue where Golovkin and Alvarez are fighting to spite them. These examples demonstrate him to be a man that really doesn't care about anyone but himself, and while there are countless people that will say, "who cares, he can do what he wants," there are countless others that would say that if you're such a big fan of him you really ought to realize that you are supporting a guy that is just trying to snub out the development of the sport that you love. And, to be perfectly honest, you wouldn't know who he is, if not for the sport. Yes, it's his prerogative, but then you have Muhammad Ali, who is beloved by all, not hatefully remembered, and that's because he had a different prerogative: people. So there's that.

Thing is, the boxing fans are gonna watch those actual boxing fights and they are gonna find the news and media they want for them. Simple as that. Radio channels that were broadcasting about how Mayweather vs McGregor was finally signed weren't already giving out all this boxing news already. They caught wind of the freakshow and it's out there. It's not like, for the most part, boxing fans are going to flock over to the Mayweather vs McGregor fight because most know that it's a dumb sideshow that's really just a veiled excuse for millionaires to make millions more.

In the Venn Diagram of fans, there really isn't much overlap: casuals and MMA fans on one side, boxing fans on the other. There might be some overlap in the middle, but it will be negligible. I really don't think he gets in the way of the boxing fights (other than Cotto vs Kamegai, which really just seems like a punitive act on his part).

Is Mayweather a great fighter? No doubt. But for a fighter that cares about legacy, he won't be near the hearts of so many fans once the sands of time wash over his memory, he'll just be defended by the people that like undefeated records (and this is, obviously, because he is a very effective fighter, so they'll like that too). But Marciano had an undefeated record and nobody hates him (wait, Larry Holmes might, right? lol). Mayweather may be a decent human being if you meet him (truly, maybe even a bleeding heart orphanage owner, for all I know), but he sure isn't showing much love for the sport that gave him all the opportunity that he has, and people will remember him for that. I expect some to say, "uh-uh," but also, I'll be right. He won't ruing big fights like GGG vs Canelo, and he won't enhance his reputation/image/legacy by beating a gut that (according to recent reports by the BBC) didn't even have ONE amateur fight.

lol at Brook believing he somehow exposed Golovkin.

@wilddeuces
You could make a case that Oscar asked for it. He badmouths Floyd for years and he asked people to boycott his match.
It's not uncalled for to respond in this manner. It's ruthless but Oscar probably deserves it.

As for poor Cotto, yeah that was kinda mean...

Your post reminded me a video I watched recently about Robinson.
In the final minutes it showed the last match of Robinson's career.
See yourself the reaction of the crowd at 12:22
Such a huge recognition and respect from the people.

@wilddeuces
You could make a case that Oscar asked for it. He badmouths Floyd for years and he asked people to boycott his match.
It's not uncalled for to respond in this manner. It's ruthless but Oscar probably deserves it.

As for poor Cotto, yeah that was kinda mean...

Your post reminded me a video I watched recently about Robinson.
In the final minutes it showed the last match of Robinson's career.
See yourself the reaction of the crowd at 12:22
Such a huge recognition and respect from the people.

Nice video, you get what I mean.

Also, and I'm obviously internet conjecturing, which never comes across well, but I feel like Mayweather would have done that anyway. He already expressed anger at having a Mexican holiday claimed by a Mexican fighter, so I feel that it still goes back to him demanding to stamp his relevance back into a sport that many people believe he kinda choked (there was, after all, a Mayweather vs Pacquiao hangover - that was a thing, and though it takes two to tango, the former is typical for hyping up a fight and then turning in impressive snoozers)

So if GGG wins, does he fight Ward next?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back