Can someone refresh my memory: why is Silva getting an immediate rematch vs. Weidman?

Imo Vitor should have gotten the next shot and Silva should have maybe fought one time before another title shot.

Should have? The UFC isn't successful because of what people on the internet thinks should happen. And Belfort can't fight in the U.S. if he is using TRT.

how do you not give the goat and 7 year belt holder an immediate rematch? also, the loss was very polarizing, many say Silva lost only cause he was clowning and he beat himself, that's an another reason for a rematch, it's not like Weidman went in there and dominated every aspect from start to finish..truth is no one knows what's gonna happen in the rematch and that's what makes it so exciting and worthwhile

It was agreed before the fight took place, even Weidman made that offer before Dana made the announcement. Hope that's enough.

If they're making/they made this decision based on Anderson's legacy I guess I can UNDERSTAND how the decision was made although I don't necessarily agree. I didn't watch the pre or post-fight conferences so I didn't catch all that stuff.

It's not. He should have to fight like 2-3 fights before getting a Weidman rematch like anyone other top MW would have to. What makes it worse is that he's getting this immediate rematch against the guy who just dominated and KO'd him. In no way, shape, or form does he deserve an immediate rematch (as in his last fight ended up with Weidman doing what he did to him) against the man who just dethroned him decisively even if Anderson is considered a p4p great.

Well... He's getting the rematch. Whether you think he deserves it or not. It's happening. Doesn't really matter what you think as you are not the deciding factor on who gets what. Dana is. Like I said, the rematch is happening. Get over it.

If you don't like it, don't watch. Plain and simple. :)

They gave hom the rematch specifically to spite you and only you.

I never really looked into/understood this. Didn't Weidman knock Anderson out cold? Wasn't he winning that first round before the KO? What warranted an immediate rematch off a decisive win like that? Yeah Anderson was showboating but isn't that like..his responsibility? I can understand being horrendously robbed by the judges to the point that maybe it warrants and immediate rematch but Anderson got knocked out COLD by Weidman on paper. I just don't get it. Shouldn't Anderson have to work his way back up to a title shot if he wants it (which should be relatively easy for him) especially after losing the way he did?

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ is the correct answer

If they're making/they made this decision based on Anderson's legacy I guess I can UNDERSTAND how the decision was made although I don't necessarily agree. I didn't watch the pre or post-fight conferences so I didn't catch all that stuff.

This isn't basketball. Politics has always played a roll in the fight game. This isn't new and exiting.

Nothing is worse than people who choose to be willfully ignorant like the TS.

Bullshit - I agree with the TS....But I can live with it...because the rematch is going to make Silva look like a fuggin' amateur....There is NOT one discipline of MMA that Silva can better Weidman in....that was proven they're first match....The only problem Weidman will have is deciding which way he wants to end it....on the ground or on the feet....because either way Silva does NOT stand a chance in hell....This is gonna be another huge win for Weidman & even more of an embarrassment to Silva & his fanboys...I can't wait...:icon_lol:

Vitor has already had a shot at the LHW title (that he didn't deserve) AND a shot at the MW title that he didn't deserve. So clearly, deserve has nothing to do with it.

Obviously. That's why Anderson is getting an immediate rematch

It's no secret Dana loves Anderson. You can see how distraught he was after the loss. And besides, I think Anderson deserves a chance for redemption or to truly pass the guard -- many people won't accept that loss as legitimate otherwise.

Bullshit - I agree with the TS....But I can live with it...because the rematch is going to make Silva look like a fuggin' amateur....There is NOT one discipline of MMA that Silva can better Weidman in....that was proven they're first match....The only problem Weidman will have is deciding which way he wants to end it....on the ground or on the feet....because either way Silva does NOT stand a chance in hell....This is gonna be another huge win for Weidman & even more of an embarrassment to Silva & his fanboys...I can't wait...:icon_lol:

Silva is going to look like an amateur? Damn, Weidman may as well move up to LHW afterwards because no one else at MW will stand a chance. Mind as well dethrone JBJ right?

in yo dreams big boy

The fire is burning brightly...

Did St Pierre get an I start rematch after the Serra fight where he got TKOd?
Not sure what you mean by "I start" rematch. He didn't get an immediate rematch at any rate.

Well... He's getting the rematch. Whether you think he deserves it or not. It's happening. Doesn't really matter what you think as you are not the deciding factor on who gets what. Dana is. Like I said, the rematch is happening. Get over it.

If you don't like it, don't watch. Plain and simple. :)
Don't watch? Who the hell ISN'T going to watch this fight? It's gonna be a great fight either way you cut it with some drama leading up and during it no doubt. Just because I think this rematch is happening as prematurely as humanly possible doesn't mean that I'm not excited to see it go down.

They gave hom the rematch specifically to spite you and only you.

I knew it. :rolleyes:

cause its a business, and silva/Weidman is the biggest seller in the division at the moment. oh, and cause dana fucking white said so.

lol You're right.

Oh and let me end this thread real quick: In interviews before the fight Weidman repeatedly said he would beat Anderson and then beat him again at MSG (he knew he would have to beat Anderson twice no matter what went down in the first fight).

And Weidman offered the rematch too. So if he's cool with it, so should we.

$$$

Nothing else.

Anderson Silva was handed a rematch because it was a good business move. Plain and simple. No fighter who's coming off a convincing loss, and let alone a knockout loss deserves a rematch. Fanboys will claim he was given the rematch because he was a dominant champion, Dana will say the same, but if we review history you won't find many (if any) dominant champions that were given an instant rematch after a fair loss.

Truth is businessmen could care less about who deserves what, title shots are often given based on marketability, and there's no bigger fight at MW that a rematch between Chris and Anderson.

Let's consider the possibility that Anderson might be on his way down and about to have a streak of losses. Strictly from a business perspective, do you think it's a smart choice to have the guy you hyped as #1 P4P and GOAT losing to some other contender? or is it better to immediatly match him against the champion and hype it as the biggest rematch ever? The answer is pretty obvious.

The UFC needs to make as much cash out of Silva while they can, thus an immediate and undeserving rematch was handed to him.

Just finished my great post.

I agree with him. This immediate rematch shit is stupid. If there's controversy than ya go at it again, but outside of that it's simply for $$$

Money doesn't magically appear whenever a fight is made. The money comes in from people who want to see it. This is a professional sport, and fighters have a limited window to make money in. Not making a highly-desired and incredibly lucrative fight when the public is demanding it and it was agreed on beforehand is a disservice to the dighters, the fans, and the sport.

It will make that money because people on all sides want it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoyceOuthw
Back