Can someone refresh my memory: why is Silva getting an immediate rematch vs. Weidman?

Lol wtf are you? Like I said, in what world does it make sense to give a fighter an immediate rematch against a guy who just beat him without question. Not just beat him but flatten him. Knock him out cold. Anderson's getting a reset button here. It's like an immediate chance to try and erase what just happened.

Anderson deserved to fight for the title again but the immediate rematch is what sounds stupid to me. Within the realm of being fair and just of course. For the UFC this is probably a smart move. If Anderson comes out and finishes Weidman everyone can put the first Weidman fight behind them (I'd imagine Weidman WON'T get an immediate rematch if he loses badly) and all can be how it was before that.

the the world where anderson silva is the greatest fighter in the history of the ufc with a record number of title defenses....

this seems personal

I agree with him. This immediate rematch shit is stupid. If there's controversy than ya go at it again, but outside of that it's simply for $$$

Absolutely not. Benson Henderson doesn't get an mediate rematch. Mighty Mouse wouldn't get an immediate rematch. I would even be ok with JBJ not getting an immediate rematch. Anderson and GSP have dominated their divisions for long enough that they get an immediate rematch if they want it.

To me, this is seriously the oddest question I've seen on here. Anderson has made people look ridiculous for sometime now, and maybe he really did have an off night, and after all he's done, he deserves the chance to prove it. Add the facts that it will make a great main event, a ton of money, and an actual interesting fight, I can't get passed the TS saying he doesn't understand it.

Money and the rematch will be entertaining for sure. Agreed.
Whether AS deserves or should have a rematch, it's interesting to see
how Silva fights next time. I said already also, that the fact he's been defending for so long deserves it.

Because he's the GOAT. Why even ask why?

Because no matter how biased you are, objectively that's debatable since there's a guy that went by the name of Fedor that was pretty good. But let's not get into the who's the GOAT talk right now. That always turns out relatively ugly for all parties.

Lol wtf are you? Like I said, in what world does it make sense to give a fighter an immediate rematch against a guy who just beat him without question. Not just beat him but flatten him. Knock him out cold. Anderson's getting a reset button here. It's like an immediate chance to try and erase what just happened.

Anderson deserved to fight for the title again but the immediate rematch is what sounds stupid to me. Within the realm of being fair and just of course. For the UFC this is probably a smart move. If Anderson comes out and finishes Weidman everyone can put the first Weidman fight behind them (I'd imagine Weidman WON'T get an immediate rematch if he loses badly) and all can be how it was before that.

NO REALLY? Hell yeah it's a chance to reset for Anderson. The guy has the most title defense in UFC history and he loses by a freak KO ( don't give me that crap about Weidman winning, that's all opinion).

Oh and your Holy Shertardness thinks Anderson deserves the right to grind his way back up the ladder? Aww you're too kind.

the the world where anderson silva is the greatest fighter in the history of the ufc with a record number of title defenses....

this seems personal

It's not. It's logical. Purely logical. I don't get what's unclear about this.

Did GSP get an IMMEDIATE rematch after he got KTFO against Serra? Did Fedor get an immediate rematch vs. Werdum after he got caught?

Did GSP get an IMMEDIATE rematch after he got KTFO against Serra? Did Fedor get an immediate rematch vs. Werdum after he got caught?

Did GSP have anywhere near as many title defenses as Silva had? No. If you would actually use your fucking brain you wouldn't be asking this question and having all these shitty examples.

You bring up Fedor losing to Werdum. Fedor wasn't even champ and they had the SF GP basically right after. You brought up Machida losing to Jones. Jones was the champ, not Machida. You brought up Cain losing to JDS, JDS was Cain's first title defense and that fight lasted all of 1 minute. You bring up Brock losing to Cain, Cain was only Brock's 2nd title defense. They aren't even comparable to Anderson Silva's streak in the UFC

I can honestly say I did not want Anderson to get an immediate rematch.

That being said, I agree he should have it because he was arguably the GOAT for a long time, I think that should buy you an immediate rematch one time.

Anderson Silva's resume dwarfs any other contender, even after the loss to Weidman. On top of that, he is the greatest MW of all-time, a hugely popular fighter and is heading towards the end of his career.

Anderson Silva's resume dwarfs any other contender, even after the loss to Weidman. On top of that, he is the greatest MW of all-time, a hugely popular fighter and is heading towards the end of his career.

bbbut he didn't win the fight. and not only did he not win but he lost. and not only did he lose but he got finished. and not only did he get finished but he got koed. and not only did he get koed but he got koed COLD. and machida? fedor? purely logic illogical!!!!!

derp

Because the only thing better than Weidman knocking his clowning arse out cold is Weidman knocking his serious/motivated/no joking arse out cold.

\

Fedor wasn't a champ and the SF GP came right after that fight. Brock had only 1 title defense. Machida wasn't even champion when Jones beat him. And JDS was Cain's first title defense. If you can't tell the difference between those and being 16-0 in the UFC before finally losing you're dumber than you seem

You missed the point that I was trying to make...great fighters can lose and they can lose relatively quickly/get caught.

16-0 in the UFC hasn't been done by anyone and he's a legend for that but it's not like he's getting an immediate rematch for a shaky judges' decision. The manner in which he lost and the fact that he's getting an immediate rematch as a reward for getting finished by the guy he's having said immediate rematch with makes this a totally different story.

He's gonna go down as a legend no matter what way you cut it. That's not in dispute. But does every all-time great with a legacy deserve an immediate rematch if they lose a title defense/get finished by their title challenger?

bbbut he didn't win the fight. and not only did he not win but he lost. and not only did he lose but he got finished. and not only did he get finished but he got koed. and not only did he get koed but he got koed COLD. and machida? fedor? purely logic illogical!!!!!

derp

That sounds like an intelligent rebuttal.

lol, that was GSP's very first title defense. That is an awful comparison.

If anything, you should ask why Hughes didn't get an immediate rematch after losing to GSP. And I don't think anybody would have complained about Hughes getting it.

its such a retarded question.

I hate Anderson but he was the mw champ for many many years. He has earned the right to request an immediate rematch.

Because no matter how biased you are, objectively that's debatable since there's a guy that went by the name of Fedor that was pretty good. But let's not get into the who's the GOAT talk right now. That always turns out relatively ugly for all parties.

I'm not biased. I'm not even a fan of AS. It was a nice win for Weidman. It was a WTF! moment and Silva deserved to lose. If he hadn't been so dominant and defended so many times, I'd be fine with him fighting 1 or 2 before a title again.
He's WM GOAT, but yes all of MMA could be debated. Which I don't want to talk about either.
I understand you in that AS got dominated and KTFO, which shouldn't warrant the rematch, but look at what he's done.

I always wonder if these threads are real discussion or just posters wanted to be the devil's advocate

in any case, Silva getting an immediate rematch seems to me to be the simplest thing on the world. the dude has ruled 185 for a long, long time. if that doesn't earn you a second shot right away, I don't know what does

throw in the fact that it is the most interesting fight for the majority of fans and also the biggest $ fight to be made at 185, it just seems too easy

He's the most dominant champion in MMA history and many people feel like Silva beat himself more than anything. It didn't seem like we got a real fight between the two. It didn't feel like Weidman really beat Silva. Therefore it needs to happen again.

Pretty simple.

GSP lost to Serra in his FIRST fucking title defense. His FIRST defense.

Fedor lost to Werdum in a TOURNAMENT. A TOURNAMENT. It was NOT a title defense.

Anderson was something like 16-0 in the UFC with TEN title defenses before he lost to Wediman.

If you can't see the difference, then clearly you're the fucking problem.

Back