Can someone refresh my memory: why is Silva getting an immediate rematch vs. Weidman?

Jagan Eye

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
I never really looked into/understood this. Didn't Weidman knock Anderson out cold? Wasn't he winning that first round before the KO? What warranted an immediate rematch off a decisive win like that? Yeah Anderson was showboating but isn't that like..his responsibility? I can understand being horrendously robbed by the judges to the point that maybe it warrants and immediate rematch but Anderson got knocked out COLD by Weidman on paper. I just don't get it. Shouldn't Anderson have to work his way back up to a title shot if he wants it (which should be relatively easy for him) especially after losing the way he did?

Weidman offered and it was in Anderson's contract.

Imo Vitor should have gotten the next shot and Silva should have maybe fought one time before another title shot.

Because he was the most sucessful champion in UFC and arguably MMA history?

Controversy aside, I don't think there should be immediate rematches

Because he's Anderson fuckin Silva.

I don't know why but Dana White said pre-fight that if Anderson were to lose he'll get a immediate rematch.

Is there a source to this? I've seen people say it a few times.

Nothing is worse than people who choose to be willfully ignorant like the TS.

A ufc juggernaut fucked around and lost the match causing a shit ton of haters to arise and claim silva was fighting at his best because he's played around like that before.

16 and 1 in the UFC. Who has a better record than that despite coming off a loss. Who is more deserving? Vitor? The guy AS dropped cold?

Because he was a long time champion,I think more than 4 or 5 defences should get you an immediate rematch.Plus it will probably be one of the UFC's biggest earners ever.

Anderson Silva should be enough as an answer.

Is it really in his contract? To get an immediate rematch no matter how he lost and vs. anyone?

Because he was the most sucessful champion in UFC and arguably MMA history?

Idc who it is. Just because some people (and definitely the UFC as an organization) believe that Anderson is the greatest, he deserves an immediate rematch against the guy who JUST dethroned him via knocking him out cold? What kind of screwed up logic is that? So now it's like "lol wait hold up hold up.....we're fighting again....last time didn't count".

Did we see an immediate rematch when Fedor got careless and got subbed by Werdum? When Wandy got KTFO by Hendo (at that point it would've been in the UFC but you get the point)? When Cain stopped Brock? When Jones caught Machida in that guillotine? Hell did we even see an immediate rematch when JDS stopped Cain as fast as he did?

You see where I'm going with this? Anderson lost. Not only did he lose but got finished. Not only did he get finished but he got knocked out cold AND was losing the first round before he got KO'd.

Regardless of who he is how does that warrant an immediate rematch? It's like someone wants to hit the reset button so Anderson gets a second chance to make a title defense.

Back