Can someone refresh my memory: why is Silva getting an immediate rematch vs. Weidman?

It's not. He should have to fight like 2-3 fights before getting a Weidman rematch like anyone other top MW would have to. What makes it worse is that he's getting this immediate rematch against the guy who just dominated and KO'd him. In no way, shape, or form does he deserve an immediate rematch (as in his last fight ended up with Weidman doing what he did to him) against the man who just dethroned him decisively even if Anderson is considered a p4p great.

2-3 is a lot.

Lol, Anderson Silva, the current p4p greatest of all time finally loses and Vitor, who got his ass whooped by Anderson by the way, deserves a shot first for beating Bisping and Rockhold.

This is why they hate us.

Vitor does deserve it as he's actually beaten two contenders while Anderson just lost in non-controversial fashion

Is it really in his contract? To get an immediate rematch no matter how he lost and vs. anyone?

Idc who it is. Just because some people (and definitely the UFC as an organization) believe that Anderson is the greatest, he deserves an immediate rematch against the guy who JUST dethroned him via knocking him out cold? What kind of screwed up logic is that? So now it's like "lol wait hold up hold up.....we're fighting again....last time didn't count".

Did we see an immediate rematch when Fedor got careless and got subbed by Werdum? When Wandy got KTFO by Hendo (at that point it would've been in the UFC but you get the point)? When Cain stopped Brock? When Jones caught Machida in that guillotine? Hell did we even see an immediate rematch when JDS stopped Cain as fast as he did?

You see where I'm going with this? Anderson lost. Not only did he lose but got finished. Not only did he get finished but he got knocked out cold AND was losing the first round before he got KO'd.

Regardless of who he is how does that warrant an immediate rematch? It's like someone wants to hit the reset button so Anderson gets a second chance to make a title defense.

God damn you are a moron.

Fedor was in a tournament when he lost. You can't re enter a tournament (unless someone drops out).

Cain/Brock was nothing like Anderson/Weidman.

Was Machida the champ? Why get a rematch to get another shot at the belt. You get one chance lol. Is that even serious?

where have you been living these past 10 consecutive title defenses?

Is it really in his contract? To get an immediate rematch no matter how he lost and vs. anyone?

Idc who it is. Just because some people (and definitely the UFC as an organization) believe that Anderson is the greatest, he deserves an immediate rematch against the guy who JUST dethroned him via knocking him out cold? What kind of screwed up logic is that? So now it's like "lol wait hold up hold up.....we're fighting again....last time didn't count".

Did we see an immediate rematch when Fedor got careless and got subbed by Werdum? When Wandy got KTFO by Hendo (at that point it would've been in the UFC but you get the point)? When Cain stopped Brock? When Jones caught Machida in that guillotine? Hell did we even see an immediate rematch when JDS stopped Cain as fast as he did?

You see where I'm going with this? Anderson lost. Not only did he lose but got finished. Not only did he get finished but he got knocked out cold AND was losing the first round before he got KO'd.

Regardless of who he is how does that warrant an immediate rematch? It's like someone wants to hit the reset button so Anderson gets a second chance to make a title defense.

Mad as shit. Damn.

To me, this is seriously the oddest question I've seen on here. Anderson has made people look ridiculous for sometime now, and maybe he really did have an off night, and after all he's done, he deserves the chance to prove it. Add the facts that it will make a great main event, a ton of money, and an actual interesting fight, I can't get passed the TS saying he doesn't understand it.

Championship clause...If it's in his contract it doesn't matter what your regular shertard thinks...

Even if you don't like Anderson, you can't dispute that this is THE biggest and best fight at mw right now.

Controversy aside, I don't think there should be immediate rematches

I tend to agree, but once you hit double digit defenses you just start making your own rules. That, and Anderson doesn't have enough time left in his career to be screwing around beating up Munoz or Boetsch to become a contender again.

So I somewhat support this exception to the rule.

It's not. He should have to fight like 2-3 fights before getting a Weidman rematch like anyone other top MW would have to. What makes it worse is that he's getting this immediate rematch against the guy who just dominated and KO'd him. In no way, shape, or form does he deserve an immediate rematch (as in his last fight ended up with Weidman doing what he did to him) against the man who just dethroned him decisively even if Anderson is considered a p4p great.

yeah i cant think of any other time in history that a champion lost and got a rematch...

THAT ^^^^^ is sarcasm btw.....

Wow. Well some of you are just taking this really personally.

So aside from AS having a clause in his contract for it (which is something I can understand)

"He's Anderson Silva" is enough for him to be allowed to hit the reset button.

I don't particularly like or dislike Anderson as a fighter but some of the "justification" I'm seeing in this thread is just downright illogical.

I'm a well known to be an Anderson fan, but I believe I can give you an objective viewpoint. He's made the UFC a lot of money over the years, and as a result, his bosses are showing him blatant favoritism.

I often get the impression that many MMA fans have never watched any other sports. Or never stepped outside, for that matter. Anderson is a top 5 draw for the UFC. If any of us ever become one of top 5 most valuable employees, in our entire company, you can bet we'll be treated much differently by management.

Vitor does deserve it as he's actually beaten two contenders while Anderson just lost in non-controversial fashion

Vitor has already had a shot at the LHW title (that he didn't deserve) AND a shot at the MW title that he didn't deserve. So clearly, deserve has nothing to do with it.

Even if it wasn't in his contract, he's been smashing the contenders down for the last 8 years and there aren't that many guys for him to fight if they want to have any contenders for after the rematch. Being the best guy in the world for a decade earns you a few perks and one is rematching the guy who caught you clowning.

This is why I rarely come on these boards anymore. What kind of dumb ass question is that Ts, are you that stupid?

Lol wtf are you? Like I said, in what world does it make sense to give a fighter an immediate rematch against a guy who just beat him without question. Not just beat him but flatten him. Knock him out cold. Anderson's getting a reset button here. It's like an immediate chance to try and erase what just happened.

Anderson deserved to fight for the title again but the immediate rematch is what sounds stupid to me. Within the realm of being fair and just of course. For the UFC this is probably a smart move. If Anderson comes out and finishes Weidman everyone can put the first Weidman fight behind them (I'd imagine Weidman WON'T get an immediate rematch if he loses badly) and all can be how it was before that.

I never really looked into/understood this. Didn't Weidman knock Anderson out cold? Wasn't he winning that first round before the KO? What warranted an immediate rematch off a decisive win like that? Yeah Anderson was showboating but isn't that like..his responsibility? I can understand being horrendously robbed by the judges to the point that maybe it warrants and immediate rematch but Anderson got knocked out COLD by Weidman on paper. I just don't get it. Shouldn't Anderson have to work his way back up to a title shot if he wants it (which should be relatively easy for him) especially after losing the way he did?

Because he's the GOAT. Why even ask why?

I'm pretty sure no one wants to see the rematch so let's call Dana White to scrap it and book Weidman vs Belfort.

yeah i cant think of any other time in history that a champion lost and got a rematch...

THAT ^^^^^ is sarcasm btw.....

After getting stopped/KTFO though? I can't think of too many off the top of my head.

\

Fedor wasn't a champ and the SF GP came right after that fight. Brock had only 1 title defense. Machida wasn't even champion when Jones beat him. And JDS was Cain's first title defense. If you can't tell the difference between those and being 16-0 in the UFC before finally losing you're dumber than you seem

Back