Boy scouts to admit girls. Why?

Scouts are already mixed in Australia it's a good thing as scouts teaches kids good skills and helps them socialize.

No issues at all.

I was in cubs and my sister in girl guides. I recall her last day.

We made flying foxes while she learnt napkin folding.

when i was growing up boy scouts were seen as somewhat nerdy, but still had enough respect for the activity that it didnt warrant any bullying.

the real kids went into baseball, basketball, football.

now that girls are allowed it will for sure put them on the fence from nerdy to outright pussy

and the stigma will force the nerdy kids to join a real sport even if they cant be that great, and then the total lost causes will be boy scouts.

boy scouts will be seen as far lower than even chess club.

people forget kids have instincts at maintaining natures pecking order even in the face of authority. bullying will be done in increasingly clever ways to skirt punishment.

I was a cub for 3 years and a scout for 3. Got exactly zero shit about it.

We did have a cool pack though, barely anyone got badges instead we built shit did shit and set fire to shit.

Its fucking disgraceful how many grown men i know who can't light a fire without bone dry wood and a newspaper.

Or mormons....Goddamn, idiot.

I happen to think it's a good thing for girls to learn scouting skills, and it's good for the boys as well, considering they get to cooperate with girls in such an environment.
LDS left scouting. They felt it was moving to far left and secular

I was a cub for 3 years and a scout for 3. Got exactly zero shit about it.

We did have a cool pack though, barely anyone got badges instead we built shit did shit and set fire to shit.

Its fucking disgraceful how many grown men i know who can't light a fire without bone dry wood and a newspaper.
I don’t know if some one told you this before but we got lighter fluid now and all kind of lighters, is so easy to light shit up now and as we speak California is literally on fire right now.

It's nothing new that a boy scoot trout had a younger sister tag along, it never had to be official before.

I don’t know if some one told you this before but we got lighter fluid now and all kind of lighters, is so easy to light shit up now and as we speak California is literally on fire right now.

Not always, how do you think i know this?

Scout enrollment has been dipping for some time. I think a lot of this is due to demographic changes in the country, but a lot of it is also due to them Scouts deciding to allow gay scout leaders. The leadership of the org and the rank and file aren't on the same page. I think they will gain members by allowing girls, but they'll lose some too.

Possible, it's just interesting because the Girl Scouts are leading that charge that the Boy Scouts are just trying to prop up enrollment. The enrollment numbers were dropping long before they allowed gay scout leaders. They've been on a steady decline for decades at this point.

But I think enrollment is dropping because there are so many other things that kids can be involved in for the same purpose. Team sports being the most popular right now.

What was the difference between girl scouts and boy scouts to begin with, did they do the same stuff basically?

Umm, there are more skills than shooting guns and robotics. I fail to see the problem with girls getting taught the skills that scouts teaches.

Do you think the Scouts will require girls to piss standing?
<6><6><6>
So why not just teach them within the Girl Scouts?

What was the difference between girl scouts and boy scouts to begin with, did they do the same stuff basically?
Boy Scouts is more camping and survival oriented while Girl Scouts sell cookies and do arts and crafts. That's my understanding of it

It was inevitable. The interesting side story is that the Girl Scouts accuse the Boy Scouts of doing this to bolster their enrollment numbers, which have been falling for years.

Which actually brings up a different thought - if enrollment in the Boy Scouts has been dropping for years, what's the argument that boys needed this space given that it was already failing to hold the interest and attention of boys and their parents? One wonders if this change would be taking place if the BSA were having increases in their enrollment?
I think the contention is that boys increasingly have fewer and fewer male spaces to be socialized in and this is just another encroachment. The lower enrollment in the BSA tells me not that boys don't need this sort of gendered space but rather that the interest in the outdoor activities of the BSA is waning. Nowadays kids grow up exposed to technology at increasingly earlier ages and that's going to be pulling their interest away from outdoor activities.
That said, I'm looking at an all-boys prep school for my son because I do think that sometimes boys can benefit from an environment that caters to their needs.
Increasingly I agree with this. And from my POV its just as much the peer to peer socializing within the gendered environment as the environment itself. Which is to say the role of the organization is to structure the socializing in such a way so that its productive and not toxic and then let the boys be boys within those limits.

My kid sold that stuff last year. He's not doing cub scouts this year.

Trail Life USA, baby!

Trail Life USA is a Christian Outdoor Adventure, Character, and Leadership Program for boys and young men.

Operating from Troops that are chartered through churches in 48 states, the K-12 program centers on outdoor experiences that build a young man’s skills and allow him to grow on a personal level and as a role model and leader for his peers.

Living the Trail Life is a journey established on timeless values derived from the Bible.

Scout enrollment has been dipping for some time. I think a lot of this is due to demographic changes in the country, but a lot of it is also due to them Scouts deciding to allow gay scout leaders. The leadership of the org and the rank and file aren't on the same page. I think they will gain members by allowing girls, but they'll lose some too.

Whoa, Gay scouts; not scout leaders - at least that's the last I heard.

Thanks for the post. I've heard that Boy scouts are run better, more fun etc. Why don't we work on girl scouts and make it better?

Are you trying to create some sort of "separate but equal" system for boys vs girls (note that this is separate from males vs females)? Sexist bigotry like this is disgusting but I know that you only lash out like this because as a POC you can't fight against your true oppressor, the White Patriarchy

Are you trying to create some sort of "separate but equal" system for boys vs girls (note that this is separate from males vs females)? Sexist bigotry like this is disgusting but I know that you only lash out like this because as a POC you can't fight against your true oppressor, the White Patriarchy
Remember, choose your words wisely when engaging in conversation with an oppressed member of a protected class.

Remember, choose your words wisely when engaging in conversation with an oppressed member of a protected class.
Please don't get me wrong, as a white hetero cisgender male I can never truly understand the life you've been forced to lead, the constant pressure to fail being placed on you by the White Patriarchy. I'm not trying to judge you, belittle your feelings or engage in other oppressive behaviours and if you felt that way it's on me for trying to push my views on you despite you not having the privileges I've had.

Back