Boxing is one of the weakest martial art forms.

It depends if you're a point boxer, or a legitimate banger in boxing.

The truth is karate, tae kwon do, etc. are all jokes compared to boxing, because pro boxers do it for real and for money. They don't point spar, "touch," etc. They are trying to knock each other out.

The highest level boxers would absolutely farking destroy any other fistic martial art discipline that did not utilize grappling. To make it to the upper level of boxing, you have to be tougher, and hit harder, than everyone else. Otherwise you get KO'd and go by the wayside.

Since boxing is where the money is, if you see anyone else "doing well" in another striking form, you need to realize they would fail at boxing. Why would anyone continue to compete in a venue where they couldn't make real money? If you could make millions of dollars as a boxer, or a few thousand as a kickboxer (etc.), why wouldn't you go to boxing if it was so easy?

The reason is, these people have gotten their asses handed to them as pure boxers. It is "easier"to compete against B-level opposition (kickboxers) then A-level opposition (real boxers).

Sure, in an MMA setting, boxing can be exploited through grappling, "dirty boxing," etc., where a boxer becomes vulnerable, because he hasn't been trained in these techniques.
But when a boxer does get trained in these techniques, or a world-class grappler get serious training in boxing, then you can have your most dangerous combat athlete. Period.

When a good grappler learns boxing techniques, he is going to hit harder than any other MMA fighter (i.e., harder than a karateka). Look at how harmless the supposedly-deadly Conor McGregor's punches were against Floyd Mayweather, who is actually a slap-boxer, and not a feared puncher like Manny Pacquiao.

There is no muay Thai, TKD, karateka, or any other striker, that would have a snowballs chance in hell against a prime Paquiao their same size. Same with Golovkin, Alvarez, and other truly elite-level boxers, who are truly legit punchers. The hardest you can hit someone is with your feet firmly planted on the ground, moving forward. People who use their feet just don't hit as hard with their fists as people who do not. It's just the way physics works. Anyone who tells you boxing isn't effective simply doesn't know WTF he is talking about.

Go train boxing for 3 months, then spar other amateurs for 1000 rounds and get back to me. Because obviously you have never trained. It would do you some good. Believe that.

For self defence on the streets, boxing is one of the absolute best things you can learn. You develop great timing, speed, footwork, distance, punching power, defense against punches to the head (most strikes thrown on the street are big overhand rights to the head) etc. You also get used to taking hits, and you learn to keep your head down and shoulders up. It's not easy for some untrained clown to land on you well enough to knock you out.

Sure, you can get taken down, but that's not nearly as common as some people like to think. And it's not like learning some basics on the ground will take you all that long anyway. You can do that in months, not years.

Of course it can pay to learn to kick too (and defense against kicks - although that's not going to be relevant on the street most of the time), as well as relevant self defence specific techniques etc that you won't learn in sports styles. But boxing alone gets you much farther than almost anything else. A lot of times a decent boxer gets into a street fight he is dumbfounded by how easy it was. The other guy just seems so unbelievably fucking slow and clumsy.

Would I recommend boxing over MMA? No. Nothing really beats MMA for the streets, generally speaking. But that's if you actually train MMA - a lot of people who go to MMA gyms don't really do that, obviously. You need the full contact sparring, for one thing. No full contact sparring = don't get into street fights. That goes for any discipline. You can't learn fighting without fighting, really.

This thread is idiotic. All martial arts are defined by their rules.

Boxing is boxing, you can't kick, takedown, submit people because that's not boxing. If any non boxer boxes a boxer they lose. If Conor had gone in with Canelo and not Mayweather the fight ends a lot quicker. If an Olympic boxer tried for triple gold entering the judo and taekwondo competitions they wouldn't make it past the first round in judo or taekwondo as their boxing is of no use there.

It's like saying golf is the weakest of ball sports. It makes no sense at all.

Let's be honest. Sherdog has this weird obsession with boxers as if they are basically God's that are untouchable. But let's be real. Boxing ON ITS OWN, key words here, is weaker than almost all martial arts. I'm not even talking MMA because everyone already know they would kill a boxer like a child. I'm talking singular martial arts.

Muy Thai vs boxer? Muy Thai destroys the legs of the boxer, destroys him in the clinch, knees and elbows his head in.

Wrestler vs boxer? Wrestler slams boxer on his head and kills him.

BJJ vs boxer? Slams him on his head and strangles him to death.

Judo vs boxer? Same as above

Sambo? Same as above.

Karate? Gets head kicked KOed inside 1 minute.

I'm an amatuer Boxer currently so I'm not biased. Boxing MIXED with other combat forms is amazing. But alone vs other combat forms. Limited

Street Fighters >>>>>>

Would I recommend boxing over MMA? No. Nothing beats MMA for the streets.

That's wrong, middle distance running does.
If you're a 5-10k runner no one gets near you on the streets. You're fast enough to get away and have the stamina to keep away.

A knife beats your boxing or MMA on the streets, running beats all 3.

If you're a 5-10k runner no one gets near you on the streets. You're fast enough to get away and have the stamina to keep away.

/thread

Let's be honest. Sherdog has this weird obsession with boxers as if they are basically God's that are untouchable. But let's be real. Boxing ON ITS OWN, key words here, is weaker than almost all martial arts. I'm not even talking MMA because everyone already know they would kill a boxer like a child. I'm talking singular martial arts.

Muy Thai vs boxer? Muy Thai destroys the legs of the boxer, destroys him in the clinch, knees and elbows his head in.

Sambo? Same as above.

I'm an amatuer Boxer currently so I'm not biased. Boxing MIXED with other combat forms is amazing. But alone vs other combat forms. Limited
By "weakest", I am guessing you mean most limited.

No shit, Einstein. And did you know I just read that a gun beats a knife. That's some rad shit, dude.

Sambo? Same as above.

If only we did combat sport vs combat sport matches still than this might be a relevant point.

Ironically, if you are an MMA fighter who has good everything except boxing than you end up being chewed up by inferior fighters ala Luke Rockhold.

Sambo? Same as above.

Flipside to all those is boxer cracks the other guy on the jaw and its done

No, by a fair shot no.

You have the possibility of being KOed in boxing, on wrestling you have all the perils of being... out pointed according to a judge.

I never cared for boxing, but wrestling is way more artificial than boxing.

Here's a man who knows the score. Not only would I take the boxer, but it wouldn't even be a fight. The karate man would be demolished in brutal fashion, very quickly, every time.
"Karate" is a wastebasket term at this point though. It doesn't mean anything - "Karate" spans the range from Ameridote strip-mall ridiculousness, to Kyokushin fighters who are full contact kickboxers (literally - they go and compete in K1 etc). Same with "kung fu" - you have crazy bullshido and then Sanshou fighters who again are closer to being MMA fighters than kickboxers even.

Boxing is very linear. MMA is more about true fighting where you have to be a jack of all trades, but even still most mma fighters are black belts now in bjj even if theyre primarily strikers.

Boxing is in the middle of the pack.
solo ill take it over any other striking martial art except muay thai, and I might even take boxing over muay thai at a high level.

however, when it comes to mixing martial arts boxing is number one. Its one of the only martial arts that teaches you how to use your height, reach, weight, balance, hips and head movement to fight.

almost no other striking martial arts care about movement between strikes as much as as boxing. im for sure there are no others. this is why boxing mixes so well with wrestling, both rely strongly on thigh and waist movement.

taking it a step further boxing is one of the few martial arts that teaches you the important of circular movement and moving toward your opponent with active defense

Learn how to box kids, you don't wanna end up like Ortega vs Max.
178_Max_Holloway_x_Brian_Ortega.0.jpg

Never did I once say that Mr sarcasm. I said boxing alone. I'm talking singular martial art vs singular martial art. Any martial art will beat a bum on the street.
Wing-chun is surprisingly effective against bums on or even off the street

Back