Black people are segregating themselves - Harvard + UFT have separate black graduation

Scheme

Red Belt
@red
Reaction score
https://www.thestar.com/news/gta/20...to-hosts-first-black-graduation-ceremony.html
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/06/02/us/black-commencement-harvard.html

With just a few minutes until what’s believed to be Canada’s first Black graduation, the packed hallways of Hart House at the University of Toronto were buzzing with excitement.

“It’s really great to see community coming out to support Black students who have made it to completing their undergraduate degree or the other degree they’ve accomplished,” said 23-year-old Jessica Kirk, one of the co-organizers of the event.

Kirk, graduating with a Bachelor of Science in psychology, co-organized the festivities with 21-year-old Nasma Ahmed, who’s graduating with a Bachelor of Arts degree in public policy.

The ceremony held Thursday night comes on the tail end of a graduation season with 27 convocations. It was expected to draw graduates of undergraduate, Master’s or PhD programs from all three of the University of Toronto’s campuses.

In holding a celebration just for Black students, the school followed in the footsteps of Harvard University and others in the United States. Family and friends of the gown-wearing graduates filled the hall Thursday as proud parents snapped photos.

Media weren’t allowed to stay for the full event, with the ceremonies open to Black-identifying students and their guests only. However, the celebration was set to include speakers, student awards for contributions to research, community service, leadership and athletics, and recognition of all graduating students.

The number of Black students at the university has historically been low compared to the number of Black people in the GTA. This year, just one first-year student in the faculty of medicine identified as Black.

The challenges students of colour face make it all the more important to celebrate those who’ve made through a system largely stacked against them, said 19-year-old history student Milen Melles.

“That’s a huge thing, for people to be able to see positive images of Black people,” she said. “But, then, for graduates themselves to be able to, like, congregate and not feel so alone . . . , it means a lot emotionally, academically, for us to be able to see.”

Looking out over a sea of people in Harvard Yard last week, Mark Zuckerberg, Facebook’s chief executive and one of Harvard’s most famous dropouts, told this year’s graduating class that it was living in an unstable time, when the defining struggle was “against the forces of authoritarianism, isolationism and nationalism.”

Two days earlier, another end-of-year ceremony had taken place, just a short walk away on a field outside the law school library. It was Harvard’s first commencement for black graduate students, and many of the speakers talked about a different, more personal kind of struggle, the struggle to be black at Harvard.

“We have endured the constant questioning of our legitimacy and our capacity, and yet here we are,” Duwain Pinder, a master’s degree candidate in business and public policy, told the cheering crowd of several hundred people in a keynote speech.

From events once cobbled together on shoestring budgets and hidden in back rooms, alternative commencements like the one held at Harvard have become more mainstream, more openly embraced by universities and more common than ever before.

This spring, tiny Emory and Henry College in Virginia held its first “Inclusion and Diversity Year-End Ceremonies.” The University of Delaware joined a growing list of colleges with “Lavender” graduations for lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender students. At Columbia, students who were the first in their families to graduate from college attended the inaugural “First-Generation Graduation,” with inspirational speeches, a procession and the awarding of torch pins.

Some of the ceremonies have also taken on a sharper edge, with speakers adding an activist overlay to the more traditional sentiments about proud families and bright futures.

After Columbia’s ceremony, Lizzette Delgadillo said she spoke about the pain of “impostor syndrome — feeling alone when it feels like everybody else on campus just knows what to do and you don’t,” and of how important it was to have the support of other first-generation students.
Ms. Delgadillo, who graduated with a bachelor’s degree in biomedical engineering, had lobbied for the event for three years, as a member of a group called the First-Generation Low-Income Partnership.

“The current political climate definitely pushed this initiative to come to fruition,” said Ms. Delgadillo, the daughter of Mexican immigrants living in Los Angeles.

Participants say the ceremonies are a way of celebrating their shared experience as a group, and not a rejection of official college graduations, which they also attend. Depending on one’s point of view, the ceremonies may also be reinforcing an image of the 21st-century campus as an incubator for identity politics.

“It’s not easy being a student, being a student anywhere, but especially at a place like Harvard,” Ward Connerly, president of the American Civil Rights Institute and a former University of California regent who campaigned against racial preference in admissions, said sympathetically.

But events like black commencements, he continued, serve only to “amplify” racial differences. “College is the place where we should be teaching and preaching the view that you’re an individual, and choose your associates to be based on other factors rather than skin color,” he said.

“Think about it,” Mr. Connerly added. “These kids went to Harvard, and they less than anyone in our society should worry about feeling welcome and finding comfort zones. They don’t need that.”

The alternative ceremonies at Harvard had printed programs, and incorporated the pageantry, ritual and solemnity of traditional commencements, though without the diplomas, which were reserved for the official university commencement.

The University of Toronto is following Harvard's example of having black only graduation ceremonies. One of the most important times in a young person's life (which I didn't attend cause fuck that boring shit) when they have finally achieved something, and we are now segregating those moments. Strong unity you have there leftists.

The left is literally regressing back to segregation. I wont be surprised if in a few years down the line we see black people supporting slavery again.

Last edited:
Sooo.... let's say you were married to a black person or had a black kid/relative but were white/asian/latino/middle eastern...

Would you be "allowed" to watch your own family walk across the stage?

How long before they screen what color people can even go watch one of these "progressive events"?

For some liberals, all they see is race. They don't look at the person on the inside, they look at the outside and make everything a race issue.

This graduation is another example.

Sooo.... let's say you were married to a black person or had a black kid/relative but were white/asian/latino/middle eastern...

Would you be "allowed" to watch your own family walk across the stage?

How long before they screen what color people can even go watch one of these "progressive events"?
Leftists hate non-template black people. They want all black people to think and be the same. Because it makes them easier to control I assume.

I hope the rest of the country follows this example. Bring segregation back. Fight the racist whites!

We are going back to 1964 and this time it's willingly

Segregation was extremely beneficial to the blacks in America. Still would be, to an extent.

Imagine blacks, in the late 19th century and early 20th century, being forced to compete with largely white-owned industries, and being forced to use largely white-owned services, without forming their own communities, including their own churches, markets, schools and such, which helped to create a sense of black identity. They would've been completely screwed.

De-segregation may go down as a great crime towards the African-Americans. It helped erode the sense of identity that they had built up to that point. It also made them more dependent on "white men's" institutions.

Last edited:
https://www.thestar.com/news/gta/20...to-hosts-first-black-graduation-ceremony.html
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/06/02/us/black-commencement-harvard.html

The University of Toronto is following Harvard's example of having black only graduation ceremonies. One of the most important times in a young person's life (which I didn't attend cause fuck that boring shit) when they have finally achieved something, and we are now segregating those moments. Strong unity you have there leftists.

The left is literally regressing back to segregation. I wont be surprised if in a few years down the line we see black people supporting slavery again.

"That is the way things should be!!!" - Democratic party AKA the party of white supremacy, slavery, and jim crowe

Leftists hate non-template black people. They want all black people to think and be the same. Because it makes them easier to control I assume.

It's called a voting bloc.

Segregation was extremely beneficial to the blacks in America. Still would be, to an extent.

Imagine blacks, in the late 19th century and early 20th century, being forced to compete with largely white-owned industries, and being forced to use largely white-owned services, without forming their own communities, including their own churches, markets, schools and such, which helped to create a sense of black identity. They would've been completely screwed.

De-segregation may go down as a great crime towards the African-Americans. It helped erode the sense of identity that they had built up to that point. It also made them more dependent on "white men's" institutions.
My instinct is that this is all wrong, but I think a good argument can be made that the black community has regressed in many key ways since the Civil Rights movement.

"That is the way things should be!!!" - Democratic party AKA the party of white supremacy, slavery, and jim crowe

The party of "of course we need them! Do you expect white people to do that?? We need them to pick crops to kee the prices down!"

Except it's illegals instead of slaves now

Once again...the Pussy right wingers are crying about something and making it seem like racism.

First of all.....I see nothing wrong...I don't like it, but I see nothing wrong...So some black kids who shared some experience together, decide to have a graduating ceremony with fellow black people? Who gives a shit?

2nd of all...It doesn't mean white people can't go...Media weren’t allowed to stay for the full event, with the ceremonies open to Black-identifying students and their guests only.

So a black person with a white relative, can totally invite them, if they want to.

This is really just a black theme Ceremony where they will talk about the black struggles.... You can't really dedicate that theme to a regular graduation, because it will be awful, specially with various cultures.

It's like for some reason some group of Iraqis/Afghanis/Vietnamese students who had gone thru a struggles decided to have their own graduation theme, where they talk about their struggles of war to graduating....Nobody would have a problem with that.

The fact that you people compare something that is suppose to inspire students, to white people keeping black people down because they hate em, is so fucking stupid.

The party of "of course we need them! Do you expect white people to do that?? We need them to pick crops to kee the prices down!"

Except it's illegals instead of slaves now

LOL, yeah, "we need immigants because fucking WHITE PEOPLE are too good and superior to do those subhuman shitjobs" ---- democrat party of racist hood wearing bitches.

First of all.....I see nothing wrong...

First of all, no one gives a fuck what you say leroy jenkins aka hollywood cuckie. Go away.

My instinct is that this is all wrong, but I think a good argument can be made that the black community has regressed in many key ways since the Civil Rights movement.

The African-Americans went from dirt-poor emancipated slaves, to carving out a substantial legacy of their own in the United States from the late 1800's, to the 1950's.

People look back on segregation in anger, but in reality, segregation served as a great morale boost for the American blacks to find their own path, without being dependent on their previous "slave masters" and the institutions that they were in control of.

One could make the argument that segregation is no longer necessary, but I do believe it was necessary during the time it was imposed. It allowed black America to develop a community of their own, separate from the whites. And I would argue that it was a good, solid community atleast up until the 1960's or so. After the Civil Rights movement, the progress stagnated.

I believe this is because the carpet was somewhat swept from under-neath black America. Suddenly you had "slain the beast", and had forced the white man to admit you were his equal, and there was no longer an objective to work towards. Generations became complacent, and ultimately dependent on assistance that they previously did not require. These generations were no longer filled with the same purpose as previous ones, which had strived to compete with the white man and prove themselves a race of equal worth, on their own terms.

There may be some measure of truth to the idea that the races must separate again, to an extent. But one cannot cherry-pick in this regard. If you don't want to have white people in your class-room, then you must accept that white people may not want you in your class-room. That is not racist, that is simply a fair trade.

Last edited:
I can understand that some students prefer a smaller graduation ceremony.
There won't be a smaller ceremony than one for black ivy league graduates, so it makes sense to use that as a criterion.

I'm all for it.

Bring back segregation for those people if they want it.

What do you mean 'those people!'

carlcuck.PNG

Back