BJ Penn vs Eddie Alvarez in 2008-2009 - who would've won?

2008: BJ: Won UFC title, made Joe Daddy cry blood.
KTFOd Sherk.
2008; Eddie: Won Dream GP, lost to Aoki by sub.

2009: BJ: Lost to GreaseSP (to the death!), beat Florian and Sanchez
2009: Eddie: Won first Bellator GP

Who do you think would've won?
I’d say odds would rightfully be about Penn -170. Maybe as high as -220.

Would have been a great fight. Melendez too.

Yep, I think his fight with Edgar was a good indication of that.
And I’m nit even confident Edgar beats BJ even a year earlier. He was just absolutely right time, right place.

That Sherk dismantling was epic. Newer fans prob don’t get how much. Sanchez Florian and Stevenson we’re expected. But Sherk was something else.

And I’m nit even confident Edgar beats BJ even a year earlier. He was just absolutely right time, right place.

That Sherk dismantling was epic. Newer fans prob don’t get how much. Sanchez Florian and Stevenson we’re expected. But Sherk was something else.

Frankie's run was something special.
Even when he LnP it was fun to watch, because he was so fast...and so small :)

When the fight was announced I told myself: "Frankie will take a round from Penn...heck, maybe even 2. That"s how good he is"

In a 5 rounder Alvarez via decision. One has heart for days the other gasses and folds.

Frankie's run was something special.
Even when he LnP it was fun to watch, because he was so fast...and so small :)

When the fight was announced I told myself: "Frankie will take a round from Penn...heck, maybe even 2. That"s how good he is"
Right? Lol. His comeback from Maynard round 1 was bonkers. He has lost plenty of close rounds since then, but he hadn’t been in that much trouble again until Ortega. And I think every fight (except that exciting Mexican fella who’s name starts with a “Y”) was against a top 5, and most were title or #1 contender bouts.

I'm going with BJ. He was well-conditioned back then and hungry. He would have boxed Eddie up imo.

Right? Lol. His comeback from Maynard round 1 was bonkers. He has lost plenty of close rounds since then, but he hadn’t been in that much trouble again until Ortega. And I think every fight (except that exciting Mexican fella who’s name starts with a “Y”) was against a top 5, and most were title or #1 contender bouts.

Undefeated Maynard was something special himself:
Knocked down Siver, turned Jim Miller's face into strawberry pancake...outstruck Nate. OUTSTRUCK NATE.

His striking was awkward, unexpected, unorthodox.
Since Edgar KO he started to be more basic/technical....and started to get KTFO all around.

Undefeated Maynard was something special himself:
Knocked down Siver, turned Jim Miller's face into strawberry pancake...outstruck Nate. OUTSTRUCK NATE.

His striking was awkward, unexpected, unorthodox.
Since Edgar KO he started to be more basic/technical....and started to get KTFO all around.
Thanks for the short walk down memory lane. That was a fun couple of years :)

People don't respect Sherk these days, he was just "some T-rex armed wrestler"

36 wins. Only men to beat him are 4 all time greats in GSP, Hughes, BJ and Frankie. Sherk was a beast in those days

That win should really stand the test of time a lot more than it does

People don't respect Sherk these days, he was just "some T-rex armed wrestler"

36 wins. Only men to beat him are 4 all time greats in GSP, Hughes, BJ and Frankie. Sherk was a beast in those days

That win should really stand the test of time a lot more than it does

Evan Dunham was robbed absolutely brutally against him.

Thanks for the short walk down memory lane. That was a fun couple of years :)

And another thing I remember from this period was intrigue.
Edgar, Maynard, Eddie, Melendez - all 4 showed such a big skillset variety, similar in some, different in others.
And a lot of questions have been raised - even before Penn-Edgar fight.
And Eddie didn't change much! Really!

But now, after all these years and BJ's demise - everyone is suddenly unanimous.

Evan Dunham was robbed absolutely brutally against him.

I agree and that's what most people remember about him but that was 37 year old Sherk. 2006 Sherk would have smashed Dunham like he did Ken-Flo

Once agsin, this is not the NFL,MLB,NBA OR NFL. The histories of this sport is not as extensive ----- with that said, I like to use this comparison : If Eddie and B.J were the same age today and in prime TODAY and they both trained liked todays elite fighters (trainers for different disciplines as well as nutrition too), Alvarez would be the bigger man at 155 and a mild favorite but my money would be on B.J Penn in an entertaining fight.

Back