BJ Penn vs Eddie Alvarez in 2008-2009 - who would've won?

Eddie would take it. Penn was fighting scrubs like Florian and Sanchez. Eddie was fighting real top light weights like Kawajiri and Hellboy.

Evan Dunham was robbed absolutely brutally against him.
Robbed is a stretch. But it was a very clear example of how different ways of scoring. Dunham rocked Sherk and wrecked him for 20-40 seconds, and Sherk ‘controlled’ Dunham for 2-3 minutes.

I’m glad the rules have changed and using today’s rules, Dunham clearly wins the round, and the fight.

I agree and that's what most people remember about him but that was 37 year old Sherk. 2006 Sherk would have smashed Dunham like he did Ken-Flo

Dunham was robbed oh so many times.
Against TJ Grant. Against RDA. One judge even tried to rob him against Tyson Griffin.
Who knows how his career would've changed? He could've easily become a #1 contender, but crappy luck.

I remember Sherk very well, and I remember how good he was. Especially on roids lol
He was a problematic wrestler to deal with, he knew how to mix it up and beating him was definitely a huge deal (never mind that GSP made it look like a walk in the park)

I’d say odds would rightfully be about Penn -170. Maybe as high as -220.

Would have been a great fight. Melendez too.

BJ would have boxed Eddie's ears off and won by RNC after either dropping him, reversing a bad takedown or taking him down while he was dazed.

I feel like I'm taking crazy pills seeing people give Eddie a chance against prime Marinovich BJ. 100% he'd beat Eddie. He went five round with Diego pretty much. He wasn't a goddamn Conor McGregor gassing out in 8 minutes. He outwrestled the blanket Fitch 2 years later.

BJ would have walked right through Eddie.

Frankie's run was something special.
Even when he LnP it was fun to watch, because he was so fast...and so small :)

When the fight was announced I told myself: "Frankie will take a round from Penn...heck, maybe even 2. That"s how good he is"
It was boring as fuck, nobody liked watching him because he was like DJ before he started finishing people.

He also lost to BJ in their first fight. That should have never been a trilogy.

Eddie would take it. Penn was fighting scrubs like Florian and Sanchez. Eddie was fighting real top light weights like Kawajiri and Hellboy.
Aoki v BJ in 2007 would have been a blast. BJ wouldn’t fight him the way Melendez did. They would have rolled, for sure. BJ is way stronger. Aoki is more of a sub wizard. BJ probably wins by TKO, but hot damn it would have been fun to see.

EDIT: what’s funny is you didn’t even mention Aoki, but my brain just went there when I saw Hellboy and Kid lol

Aoki v BJ in 2007 would have been a blast. BJ wouldn’t fight him the way Melendez did. They would have rolled, for sure. BJ is way stronger. Aoki is more of a sub wizard. BJ probably wins by TKO, but hot damn it would have been fun to see.

I think Penn would take it everywhere but I think if they just grappled for like 3-5 minutes that would have been the dopest ground fight of all time

Robbed is a stretch. But it was a very clear example of how different ways of scoring. Dunham rocked Sherk and wrecked him for 20-40 seconds, and Sherk ‘controlled’ Dunham for 2-3 minutes.

I’m glad the rules have changed and using today’s rules, Dunham clearly wins the round, and the fight.

Dude, rewatch the fight. No matter then or now, Dunham should've won.
Sherk never got that much control. His only success was giving Dunham a good cut.

It was boring as fuck, nobody liked watching him because he was like DJ before he started finishing people.

He also lost to BJ in their first fight. That should have never been a trilogy.

You cannot name even one Edgar fight that was "boring as fuck"

I personally saw 3 out of 5 rounds in Penn-Edgar 1 as 10-10, giving other 2 to Edgar.

Alvarez with his non existent boxing defense and questionable chin would get jabbed up and eventually CRACKED by Penn.

Penns grappling >>>>>>> Eddies

Penns chin >>>>>>> Eddies

<seedat>

Dude, rewatch the fight. No matter then or now, Dunham should've won.
Sherk never got that much control. His only success was giving Dunham a good cut.
Controlled the same way Couture controlled Vera.

We only disagree by degree. I agree with you that Dunham should have won. I disagree with the word “robbery”.

Same way I disagree with the poster above who responded with my “BJ would be a 2-1 favorite” with “No, BJ is a 100% guarantee...”

EDIT: what’s funny is you didn’t even mention Aoki, but my brain just went there when I saw Hellboy and Kid lol

What the fuck are you talking about. Aoki vs BJ would have been BJ defending the takedown and beating the shit out of Aoki and eventually taking him down unless he had those illegal pants on.

Dunham was robbed oh so many times.
Against TJ Grant. Against RDA. One judge even tried to rob him against Tyson Griffin.
Who knows how his career would've changed? He could've easily become a #1 contender, but crappy luck.

I remember Sherk very well, and I remember how good he was. Especially on roids lol
He was a problematic wrestler to deal with, he knew how to mix it up and beating him was definitely a huge deal (never mind that GSP made it look like a walk in the park)

Yeah I'm not saying you in particular but in general. People tend to forget what a problem the guy was, especially at LW. Sherk used to be viewed as a massive win for BJ, and these days it's chalked up as like equivalent to beating Diego or something lol

Dunham was a guy who could make any fight close (well almost any) but could never really put a stamp on fights or even rounds. Idk , he certainly didn't have good luck for sure, but I think his style of fighting is one that will lead to good competitive fights no matter if the guy is better or worse than you are. And in this sport being competitive and hoping the judges will get it right just sadly isn't a good idea

Controlled the same way Couture controlled Vera.

We only disagree by degree. I agree with you that Dunham should have won. I disagree with the word “robbery”.

Couture did something else. He wall and stalled.
I would've given fight to Vera due to his success moments in 2 rounds (knockdown and mount) , but I understood where the judges came from.

Different in Dunham-Sherk. Dunham actually picked him apart and made him give up on takedowns.
The fight even went on Dunham distance.

BJ would have wrecked Eddie back then. Eddie was a slightly better version of Diego and we saw how that went

You cannot name even one Edgar fight that was "boring as fuck"

I personally saw 3 out of 5 rounds in Penn-Edgar 1 as 10-10, giving other 2 to Edgar.

Literally all of them

Exception maybe the Maynard comeback

For 2 rounds, and barely.
Then Fitch took him down and didn't let him either breath or put his head up.

That was a fat and out of shape BJ at 170 against a big welterweight.

Doesn't change the fact that BJ at 155 would smoke Eddie. Literally better everywhere. Eddie's heart is overrated. The guy has a freakish ability to recover from bad shots but I distinctly recall him quitting against Chandler and giving him his neck.

BJ in 2009 would walk right through Eddie man. It's a goddamn shame we never got to see BJ do his thing at that weight class because he was to busy fighting stupid fights.

Back