BJ Penn vs Eddie Alvarez in 2008-2009 - who would've won?

Dunham was a guy who could make any fight close (well almost any) but could never really put a stamp on fights or even rounds. Idk , he certainly didn't have good luck for sure, but I think his style of fighting is one that will lead to good competitive fights no matter if the guy is better or worse than you are. And in this sport being competitive and hoping the judges will get it right just sadly isn't a good idea

You know who else fit this description of yours? Benson.
Never put a stamp. Even in fights that he won and should've won, he left the controversy - like Melendez.

But he, unlike Dunham, lucked himself to the very freaking top.

What the fuck are you talking about. Aoki vs BJ would have been BJ defending the takedown and beating the shit out of Aoki and eventually taking him down unless he had those illegal pants on.
Simmer down Francis.

We both agree that BJ was bad ass. We both agree he would win each fight that has come up. I don’t agree strongly enough and you’re mad about it.

You’re why people don’t like fanboys.

So just one example, pls

Penn, Bendo, literally any other UFC fight he's had has been boring. His 145 stint isn't even fun to watch either. It's okay dude, not everyone has to cream their pants over manlets who struggle to finish a sandwich.

Aoki v BJ in 2007 would have been a blast. BJ wouldn’t fight him the way Melendez did. They would have rolled, for sure. BJ is way stronger. Aoki is more of a sub wizard. BJ probably wins by TKO, but hot damn it would have been fun to see.

EDIT: what’s funny is you didn’t even mention Aoki, but my brain just went there when I saw Hellboy and Kid lol

I don't think BJ would roll with Aoki, BJ rarely tried to grapple unless he dropped someone and grappling with Aoki isn't smart when you're a much better striker with fantastic TDD.

not everyone has to cream their pants over manlets who struggle to finish a sandwich.

Ah OK, so you're either a troll or just not the sharpest knife in the kitchen.

Sorry to bother you, carry on

I don't think BJ would roll with Aoki, BJ rarely tried to grapple unless he dropped someone and grappling with Aoki isn't smart when you're a much better striker with fantastic TDD.
Ya I’m convinced. You and the others have gotten me to rethink that post.

But in my wet dream, they roll, heh.

Ya I’m convinced. You and the others have gotten me to rethink that post.

But in my wet dream, they roll, heh.

It would be cool to see and as a fight fan it would be more entertaining cause the fight wouldn't be a blowout if they mostly grappled. Uncompetitive fights aren't really much fun to watch.

Simmer down Francis.

We both agree that BJ was bad ass. We both agree he would win each fight that has come up. I don’t agree strongly enough and you’re mad about it.

You’re why people don’t like fanboys.

I'm not a fanboy. BJ hasn't won a fight in close to 8 years. Fanboying for a guy with his record and who hasn't won in that long is an oxymoron. Very cruel fate.

Look at my first response. You gave some very foolish odds and I responded to that.

You know who else fit this description of yours? Benson.
Never put a stamp. Even in fights that he won and should've won, he left the controversy - like Melendez.

But he, unlike Dunham, lucked himself to the very freaking top.

Couldn't agree more

Benson's run of incredibly fortunate decisions was one of the most frustrating experiences of my entire MMA fandom

And speaking of which you just reminded me of another one. Jorge Masvidal is that type of fighter too except somewhere in between Benson and Dunham on the luck scale

Funny thing is that Eddie would have lost to Diego back then. I know it blows your little mind but it's true.

Only if it was like his Kampmann win. Diego has crappy takedowns and failling striking. His cardio and heart are his biggest assets and Eddie matches him there and is a much better striker, hits much harder and has better wrestling.

Diego's face would get mangled while trying to take Eddie down, Eddie is a terrible match up for him.

Funny thing is that Eddie would have lost to Diego back then. I know it blows your little mind but it's true.
I would have had it as a tossup. Diego definitely would've had the advantage on the ground, but I don't know that he could have gotten Eddie down and I think Diego would've lost the standup brawl that they would've had.

And speaking of which you just reminded me of another one. Jorge Masvidal is that type of fighter too except somewhere in between Benson and Dunham on the luck scale

Masvidal has other problem. His problem are retarded judges.
He's a counter guy. He moves backwards. He does damage.
But judges think his opponent is the agressor. That's what happened with Iaquinta fight, for example

Maybe but only if it was like his Kampmann win. Diego has crappy takedowns and failling striking. His cardio and heart are his biggest assets and Eddie matches him there and is a much better striker, hits much harder and has better wrestling.

Diego's face would get mangled, Eddie is a terrible match up for him.

Diego has better takedowns, heart, jiu-jitsu, and chin than Eddie did back then. You have to remember that he outclassed Nick Diaz, Clay Guida, and several other guys back then. He was undefeated for a long time.

Diego would have beat Eddie no problem. Eddie was getting into life and death situations with guys way beneath UFC calibre.

Only if it was like his Kampmann win. Diego has crappy takedowns and failling striking. His cardio and heart are his biggest assets and Eddie matches him there and is a much better striker, hits much harder and has better wrestling.

Diego's face would get mangled while trying to take Eddie down, Eddie is a terrible match up for him.
Eddie wasn't that much better of a striker than Diego in 2008. I don't think the power difference is that big of a factor because neither of them hit hard enough to finish the other back then.

Well considering that BJ hasn't looked to be in peak form since 2010 and hasn't looked decent since 2011, I'm going to go out on a limb and say that Eddie would probably beat his ass if they fought right now.

I meant, is Eddie now the same "Diego Sanchez"?

Back