Big John says weight cutting is more dangerous than PEDs

When MMA gets older as a sport there's going to be a LOT of punch drunk guys walking around. A lot of guys with CTE, suicides etc.

Some valid questions will be:
-Did PEDs put these guys in higher weight classes than their natural frame (so they're taking bigger shots?)
-Did PEDs make their opponents shots harder, especially over 3/5 rounds?
-Did PEDs give them a better chin where they're taking a long beating rather than going down quick?

Weight cutting is dangerous for sure but I don't think we need a competition of which is 'more dangerous'.

He only dropped to 205 because of Cain and he even said that. if it wasn't for Cain in the heavyweight division, I'm sure DC would be with the heavyweights.
He never said that.

He dropped to LHW because that's his division, said multiple times that he was crazy to fight at heavyweight seeing how big those guys are.

i think that makes sense on the fighters not being allowed to pick weight classes that are too low - seems hard to implement

I think most fighters would love to stop cutting weight, but you must have assurance that the competition is going to as well. It's difficult to disarm when you cannot trust that the other guy is going to. Same with PEDs really.

He never said that.

He dropped to LHW because that's his division, said multiple times that he was crazy to fight at heavyweight seeing how big those guys are.
No he said he dropped to 205 because Cain was the HW champ. he freaking beat the fuck out of Josh Barnett, Bigfoot, Mir, to name a few, for crying out loud. he said before the Jones fight that he dropped because his teammate Cain was in the heavyweight division so he dropped down a weight class because he felt more comfortable with his size and weight.

they already do that. And if they are more than 8% over their target weight then they are monitored all week.

This is why you see Notivzky around sometimes at weigh ins, hes with the monitored fighters.

Cool, didn't know that.

And what is the result of them being monitored all week? Because if there is no punishment then I don't think they mind if they are monitored.

keep the scale in the boot of your car. then drive 1000 miles a week and see if it stays like that.

the trouble is, if there is even a slight doubt in the scale the athletes will be able to appeal against it. If an athletes fined x amount because of a couple of pound all they have to say is "that scales travelled 1000 miles a week, in an out of a car boot, its not accurate"

Put it inside some protective casing and I don't see why the journey would be a problem for it. Especially if you got some better scale. I'm just speculating though. I don't know how it would behave.

Cool, didn't know that.

And what is the result of them being monitored all week? Because if there is no punishment then I don't think they mind if they are monitored.
well ufc can either pull them from the fight if they consider it a health issue (which has happened) or they can tell them to stop cutting because theyve reached a point where its not healthy which means they miss weight, which costs them money, which has apparently happened.

Novitzky covered it to a degree in a february interview with mmafighting

http://www.mmafighting.com/2017/2/2...sses-usada-weight-cutting-in-wide-ranging-q-a

MR: Another odd side effect of early weigh-ins is that fighters are missing weight and some of them are missing by a lot. Some are missing by five pounds or more. Is there anything you’ve seen in the data that has shown why that is happening?

JN: Absolutely. What you’re seeing there is more attention being paid by the UFC to those fighters and in most of those situations it is me, the medical team or a doctor aware the fighter has come into fight week heavier and have a very close eye on that fighter. So we are often in rooms the morning of, we’ll see a fighter that maybe gets into a struggling area and then call it off right there. Say, ‘You’re not cutting any more, go downstairs and weigh in. Basically we’ve seen enough, we feel like you’re getting into an area that wouldn't be safe for you.’ So we’re stopping that.

So instead of giving a fighter a few more hours to cut even more, more salt baths etc, they are saying, nah, stop, go weigh in heavy now, we arent letting you cut more

well ufc can either pull them from the fight if they consider it a health issue (which has happened) or they can tell them to stop cutting because theyve reached a point where its not healthy which means they miss weight, which costs them money, which has apparently happened.

Novitzky covered it to a degree in a february interview with mmafighting

http://www.mmafighting.com/2017/2/2...sses-usada-weight-cutting-in-wide-ranging-q-a

MR: Another odd side effect of early weigh-ins is that fighters are missing weight and some of them are missing by a lot. Some are missing by five pounds or more. Is there anything you’ve seen in the data that has shown why that is happening?

JN: Absolutely. What you’re seeing there is more attention being paid by the UFC to those fighters and in most of those situations it is me, the medical team or a doctor aware the fighter has come into fight week heavier and have a very close eye on that fighter. So we are often in rooms the morning of, we’ll see a fighter that maybe gets into a struggling area and then call it off right there. Say, ‘You’re not cutting any more, go downstairs and weigh in. Basically we’ve seen enough, we feel like you’re getting into an area that wouldn't be safe for you.’ So we’re stopping that.

So instead of giving a fighter a few more hours to cut even more, more salt baths etc, they are saying, nah, stop, go weigh in heavy now, we arent letting you cut more

Good info, thanks.

edit : // but they could let media know about this. Because later on people bash on those fighters that they haven't even tried.

No he said he dropped to 205 because Cain was the HW champ. he freaking beat the fuck out of Josh Barnett, Bigfoot, Mir, to name a few, for crying out loud. he said before the Jones fight that he dropped because his teammate Cain was in the heavyweight division so he dropped down a weight class because he felt more comfortable with his size and weight.
He dropped down because it's his division, he simply said he would never face Cain, not that he dropped because Cain was champ.

He joked that he decided to drop down when he met Ubereem.
If you heard him doing commentary he said he was crazy to fight at HW after watching huge guys like Walt Harris, also said heavyweights are getting more athletic.

And if i remember correctly when Travis Browne was walking into the octagon he joked that he doesn't want anything to do with former basketball players joining mma, and said again he was crazy to fight at heavyweight.
Probably was referring to his teammate Chi Lewis Parry, former basketball player turned kickboxer/mma fighter.

When MMA gets older as a sport there's going to be a LOT of punch drunk guys walking around. A lot of guys with CTE, suicides etc.

Some valid questions will be:
-Did PEDs put these guys in higher weight classes than their natural frame (so they're taking bigger shots?)
-Did PEDs make their opponents shots harder, especially over 3/5 rounds?
-Did PEDs give them a better chin where they're taking a long beating rather than going down quick?

Weight cutting is dangerous for sure but I don't think we need a competition of which is 'more dangerous'.
No. PEDs allow them to train longer, and protect themselves to a greater degree inside the octagon.

Knockouts are just as brutal under USADA, and by attempting to stop people taking PEDs, you are just furthering mismatches when a fighter doesn't have the resources to beat the testing.

PEDs make the sport safer. Not more dangerous. If the UFC spent the money on doctors administerstion rather than self administration, the sport would be far safer to fighters, and far more entertaining for us.

Back