Big John says weight cutting is more dangerous than PEDs

He's undefeated at heavyweight and only dropped down a weight class because of Cain. The fuck?

Yes. He put his career on hold for Cain. Rashad tried to play the same shit with Jones and Jones told him to go fuck himself. Cormier has always put Cain in front of himself.

his point wasn't to downplay the health risks of PEDs but stress how extremely dangerous severe dehydration is

that said it is true in the short run this:
IMG_3993.JPG
is more likely to kill you than this:
IMG_3994.JPG

He proposes a thorough assessment by doctors. OneFC has this figured out from what I understand, but I don't remember how exactly their system works.

Yep I know but how would that assesment look like? I will try to find info on OneFC.

I do think one short term solution could be that anyone having serious health trouble with his weight cut or simply cant make the cut by 3or more lbs (to be discussed) is forced to go up one weightclass. That would impact guys like Khabib, RDA (did it on his own) Gastelum, Hendricks etc. Imo that would help alot.

No shit. There have been multiple deaths that are easily and directly attributable to weight cutting. PED related deaths, if they happen, likely happen only after years of abuse.

If I cut weight poorly for a fight next week, I might die next week. If I take some steroids during the camp that fuck up my liver or damage my heart (more), I might die in 10 years.

Fighters should be able to chose their weight class, but they should have a commission mandated minimum that they can't fight below. I've got no problem with Edgar moving back up to LW if he wants to. Barao moving back down to BW... not so much.

PED deaths are largely either ignored, non reported or covered up.

There were countless athletes died in the 90's from EPO abuse but its just not talked about. Theres people spent a lot of time digging into the deaths in Dutch cycling at the start of the EPO era and everywhere they go they are hit with people who wont talk. Even now, perfectly healthy athletes who drop dead from heart attacks in their twenties are quickly buried with no real post mortem done.

We are only really over the last decade started to see deaths that are partially attributed to ped use. Laurent Fignon who died recently blamed his cancer on ped's, theres a number of post career drug related suicides that have been thought to be results of career long ped abuse.

But if you think the steroid era really peaked in teh 70's and 80's, the EPO era kicked off in the early 90's, its only recently those athletes have started to enter old age

That said, of course, certainly in teh short term weight cutting is inherently more dangerous.

Yep I know but how would that assesment look like? I will try to find info on OneFC.

I do think one short term solution could be that anyone having serious health trouble with his weight cut or simply cant make the cut by 3or more lbs (to be discussed) is forced to go up one weightclass. That would impact guys like Khabib, RDA (did it on his own) Gastelum, Hendricks etc. Imo that would help alot.
Here's one way that's already being done. Can't see why something similar couldn't be done in MMA:
http://inwr-wrestling.com/wp-conten...RICAN-SCHOLASTIC-AND-COLLEGIATE-WRESTLING.pdf

Probably hydration tests, checking walk around weight, etc. I don't know medical stuff very well so I'm incapable of giving a detailed answer, I'm just speculating.

I'm going to look up OneFC's system as well. Someone told me about it but I don't remember how it works.

While its a headline grabbing statement, its a bit like saying walking in front of a truck is more dangerous than walking in front of a car...

yes, its pretty obvious the truck is going to make more of a mess, but that doesnt mean to say walking in front of a car is a good idea

Big John should concentrate on being a better ref than commenting on things he doesn't have qualifications for. Maybe he should become the instant replay guy full time.

While its a headline grabbing statement, its a bit like saying walking in front of a truck is more dangerous than walking in front of a car...

yes, its pretty obvious the truck is going to make more of a mess, but that doesnt mean to say walking in front of a car is a good idea
Yeah not necessarily, although many / most people don't know much about PEDs (myself included), and I bet plenty of fans aren't aware how big of a problem weight cutting is, and how dangerous.

It's been hurting the UFC's pocket books and image for a while though, so I imagine they'll do something about it.

Yes. He put his career on hold for Cain. Rashad tried to play the same shit with Jones and Jones told him to go fuck himself. Cormier has always put Cain in front of himself.

13-0 at HW. He obviously didn't put anything "on hold" since he fought at LHW 5 months after his last HW fight with Roy Nelson.. and since he could have been HW champ it doesn't really seem like he put himself in front of Cain at all.. in fact quite the opposite considering how horrible the weight cuts seem to be.

"BIG" John looking out for the food industry.

Good for John!

So I guess this means that Khabib will be skyrocketing to light heavyweight?
If we are to believe he walks around at 193.

Interesting stuff. Good to see such a knowledgeable, notable figure in MMA speak out about this.

Says fighters have died from cutting weight, and fighters shouldn't be able to choose their weight class.

BJM. Always speaking truth!

Thank god someone with some brains finally tells it how it is. Weight cutting is the biggest scam in MMA..... way more than PEDs. People are openly cheating rules in place that are in place with the intention of matching fighters again other with equal size. People are so stupid and brainwashed that they just accept it.
Weight cutting came from wrestling but difference is in wrestling weight cutting is REGULATED and monitored. In MMA it's not. That's what makes it dangerous.

I like the idea of weighing the fighters with the USADA visit, that's actually an awesome though, because it's random.

If they catch you weighing in more than some percentage then your next fight should be at a higher weight class.

I like the idea of weighing the fighters with the USADA visit, that's actually an awesome though, because it's random.

to many issues for it to be done.

first theres the issue of calibration, a pound here or there could cost an athlete money.

the second will be the issue of when to weigh them, it needs to be done at a consistent time, not after large meals etc, and as soon as USADA bring any form of routine into their viits then the element of unnanounced rather goes out of the window.

wouldnt happen anyway, its really not USADA;s job.

I think the UFC by weighing them at the start of fight week is making the right moves in that direction.

Weight cutting came from wrestling but difference is in wrestling weight cutting is REGULATED and monitored. In MMA it's not. That's what makes it dangerous.
And it started getting regulated when several wrestlers died in a year due to cutting retarded amounts of weight.

BJM. Always speaking truth!

Why is the biggest ducker in Sherdog history hiding out in here when he was been ducking direct questions for weeks???

Ducktales-logo_2.png

IN WHAT ROUND WAS WEIDMAN SHOWING HIS DEFENCE OFF THE BOTTOM vs DEMIAN MAIA'S TOP GAME????

The direct question will not go away until you STOP DUCKING it! :)

to many issues for it to be done.

first theres the issue of calibration, a pound here or there could cost an athlete money.

the second will be the issue of when to weigh them, it needs to be done at a consistent time, not after large meals etc, and as soon as USADA bring any form of routine into their viits then the element of unnanounced rather goes out of the window.

wouldnt happen anyway, its really not USADA;s job.

I think the UFC by weighing them at the start of fight week is making the right moves in that direction.

1. Good point. Although I always cringe when I hear about scales issues. I buy scales for 10 dollars and it weighs me exactly the same every time I step on it and it's been reliable forever. Hard for me to image buying scales that actually are some good ones and can weigh you with great precision. There could always be equipped with 2 just to double check everything works fine. Also, there could be some allowance like 2lbs.

2. Another good point. But you could make an allowance even 10lbs. Cutting 10lbs isn't bad at all. I think the problem is with those who cut much more than that. But then again, 10lbs is not the same for every weight class, for 125 pounds 10lbs is a lot and for a HW it's not much.

I think we could tune it to our needs and to make the unannounced weighing in work, but perhaps not involving USADA, yeah.

I think if the UFC really wanted to get rid of weight cutting they would. I don't think that it's so hard to figure out a good way. If I sat down one evening I would probably figure out a good plan that could be changed here and there. The points I wrote above I spent a minute thinking about so I don't really treat it as "ah right, it's too hard to find a good way". I would find a good way if I thought about it. BUT it would involve money. And nobody wants to pay for that if they don't have to.

You mentioned starting to weigh in guys in the beginning of fight week. Is it your idea or it's being planned on?

Very few things are more dangerous than rapidly losing water...

DC's internal organs have to be f'd up. How do you put back on 30+lbs in 24 hours???

Back