Big John says weight cutting is more dangerous than PEDs

deviake

Otsego Amigo
@Silver
Reaction score
Last edited:
He is right. Cormier put himself in more danger than Jones, Lesnar, etc. It's sad he would literally die before fighting somebody his own size.

No shit. There have been multiple deaths that are easily and directly attributable to weight cutting. PED related deaths, if they happen, likely happen only after years of abuse.

If I cut weight poorly for a fight next week, I might die next week. If I take some steroids during the camp that fuck up my liver or damage my heart (more), I might die in 10 years.

Fighters should be able to chose their weight class, but they should have a commission mandated minimum that they can't fight below. I've got no problem with Edgar moving back up to LW if he wants to. Barao moving back down to BW... not so much.

And if they ban weight-cutting and un-ban PEDs, we'll get much better fights!

I'm not really educated on the subject, but from my understanding is limited PED use isn't that bad. But if it was unregulated like weight cutting then guys would be juicing insane amounts for an advantage and at that point it becomes a huge health risk.

Don't body buildings and pro wrestlers who juice a ton end up having massive health issues?

I'm not really educated on the subject, but from my understand is limited PED use isn't that bad. But if it was unregulated like weight cutting then guys would be juicing insane amounts for an advantage and at that point it becomes a huge health risk.

Don't body buildings and pro wrestlers who juice a ton end up having massive health issues?

I think blaming PEDs for wrestling deaths is wrong. Many sports have PEDs. Wrestlers just fucking destroy their bodies. They are vegetables from head trauma. Like Jimmy Supa Fly Snuka. A murderer who is mentally unfit to be punished for his crimes.

Thank god someone with some brains finally tells it how it is. Weight cutting is the biggest scam in MMA..... way more than PEDs. People are openly cheating rules in place that are in place with the intention of matching fighters again other with equal size. People are so stupid and brainwashed that they just accept it.

And I'm fairly sure that if someone does die in the short term from PEDs, it'll be from abusing stimulants or off-label use of heart meds, not from steroids.

Dang, DC was 236 (with track pants) on the day of the fight.

And whiners say Jonny Bones is too big for LHW.

He is right. Cormier put himself in more danger than Jones, Lesnar, etc. It's sad he would literally die before fighting somebody his own size.

DC is 13-0 at HW

No it's not, these guys choose to fight at that weight class. The only fighters that can complain are the females, they only have 3 options.

Damn I'm pretty shocked DC was 236 fight night. SMH wtf dude you already had liver failure once from cutting weight and you're still putting your body through that? Fucking put the popeyes down and stop killing yourself.

I thought Cormier said he go down to like 220 before having to cut in the past. 236 is fucking huge for a LHW.

I think blaming PEDs for wrestling deaths is wrong. Many sports have PEDs. Wrestlers just fucking destroy their bodies. They are vegetables from head trauma. Like Jimmy Supa Fly Snuka. A murderer who is mentally unfit to be punished for his crimes.
Blaming them for all wrestling deaths is certainly wrong. But you could argue that increased test levels played a part in Benoit's murder/suicide, or that some of the heart attacks wrestlers have had were in part caused by them. It's certainly not a clear connection though. It's more likely that any drug connection to their deaths is due to painkillers. Mark Kerr was an exception in MMA, he wouldn't have been in pro wrestling.

It would be good for fans too. I think the fights would be more exciting without drained fighters.

but how do you want to decide who has to fight in which weightclass?

You could impose a certain amount of weightcut as max but how to control?

Very difficult I dont see a solution.

Maybe same day weighins but even then fighters will try to game that to the max and fight in even more weakened conditions.
Make weighins 4,3,2,1 week before the fight and only allow a certain percentage of mass loss and fighters will start to cut especially for these pre weighins.

With PEDs you can just put more money into scientific research and controls and get more results but weight cut not so much.

can someone please help me. the video must have cut out at some point. i never saw when big john revealed his doctorate degree. i'm a mcgregor fan, but that knee to the head big john gave to aldo is more dangerous then everything else combined lulz

but how do you want to decide who has to fight in which weightclass?

You could impose a certain amount of weightcut as max but how to control?

Very difficult I dont see a solution.

Maybe same day weighins but even then fighters will try to game that to the max and fight in even more weakened conditions.
Make weighins 4,3,2,1 week before the fight and only allow a certain percentage of mass loss and fighters will start to cut especially for these pre weighins.

With PEDs you can just put more money into scientific research and controls and get more results but weight cut not so much.
He proposes a thorough assessment by doctors. OneFC has this figured out from what I understand, but I don't remember how exactly their system works.

He's undefeated at heavyweight and only dropped down a weight class because of Cain. The fuck?

Oh no doubt the punishment pro wrestlers take adds to the fact. My point was more regulated sports against unregulated ones. Isn't there insane health issues for body builders as well?

Regulation doesn't stop PEDs of course, but it certainly limits it which has got to be a good thing.

Back