Big John says weight cutting is more dangerous than PEDs

Kind of silly to generalize.

Depends on what PED's you take at what time in your life for how long.

Or how much weight you cut, how much body fat you have, how you perform, and how well you diet to prepare the cut.

Or how much weight you cut, how much body fat you have, how you perform, and how well you diet to prepare the cut.
He was speaking in regard to the sport as a whole, and which is overall more dangerous and has caused more problems. There's no way to not generalize that.

He's 100% right and the UFC should be all over this, not USADA, the UFC... they should want healthy fighters who'll make weight and fight, unlike Khabib and others who drop out at the 11th hour due to weightcutting issues, costing them paydays, everyone...

He is right. Cormier put himself in more danger than Jones, Lesnar, etc. It's sad he would literally die before fighting somebody his own size.

What are you talking about? He has like 14 fights at HW, and won the HW Grand Prix. Only reason he isn't fighting at HW right now is because he's best friends with Cain.

if one fc banned weight cutting how the fuck does ben askren fight at 170 when hes close to my size and i fight 190 walking around 195

Going from 205 to 236 sounds plausible, though is a hefty amount for Cormier.

I weigh 188 lbs when I wake up on an empty stomach and then 193 at night after a whole day of eating; and I have a sedentary day job and only lift a few days a week. In terms of glycogen stores, I'm close to what the average person holds - 500 grams (1.1 lbs) in the liver and muscle tissue. So if I tried to nearly deplete my glycogen stores, that's a change of 6 lbs or so, without dehydration.

Cormier is larger than me and requires significantly more calories to maintain his weight. So food weight for him by evening likely adds a couple more lbs. Plus, with his size, and being a professional athlete, he's storing more glycogen.

I figure, with him, he added around 7 lbs or so of food weight and replenished about 1.25 lbs of glycogen between official weigh-ins and the next evening before the fight. So subtract 8 lbs from 31 and he's dehydrating 23 lbs which, if he walks near 240 lbs, is nearly 10% of his body weight in fluids. And at 10%, that's when one may experience kidney failure. And we all know he had a history of that.

I think blaming PEDs for wrestling deaths is wrong. Many sports have PEDs. Wrestlers just fucking destroy their bodies. They are vegetables from head trauma. Like Jimmy Supa Fly Snuka. A murderer who is mentally unfit to be punished for his crimes.

Biggest issue with WWE guys is not PED, but pain killer addiction.
That is the main reason for their wellness policy.
Too many performers were abusing the system with multiple scripts & becoming addicted.

Fighters should have doctors monitoring everyone's testosterone levels.

This isn't tennis. Blows to the head naturally lower testosterone. Training 3x per day isn't healthy.

Fighters need additional support. Getting rid of USADA and offering 'training support' such as testosterone therapy would make the sport safer, and healthier for athletes.

Instead they hide in dark shadows taking street PEDs without doctors supervision.

Banning weight cutting= has been done before, easy, cheap, better fighters.

Banning PEDs = extremely expensive and difficult, worse fighters, worse fights

"BIG" John looking out for the food industry.

Good for John!

So I guess this means that Khabib will be skyrocketing to light heavyweight?
If we are to believe he walks around at 193.
I would assume he can diet down to 185 without dehydrating himself

He is right. Cormier put himself in more danger than Jones, Lesnar, etc. It's sad he would literally die before fighting somebody his own size.
DC wanted to fight at HW forever, but because Cain's in the division he moved down.

that's a very good point. It also depends how you use PEDs. It's all dangerous, they all probably decrease your lifespan but the amount is based on what you do and your genetics. Being hit in the head is not generally good for you either.

No one would ever guess Jake Lomatta would be alive and well at 95 but he was. In case you don't know he drank and smoked, took thousands of punches to the head from world class fighters.

I think blaming PEDs for wrestling deaths is wrong. Many sports have PEDs. Wrestlers just fucking destroy their bodies. They are vegetables from head trauma. Like Jimmy Supa Fly Snuka. A murderer who is mentally unfit to be punished for his crimes.
Well, I mean, he is dead now, but yeah, your point stands.

Easily fixed. USADA just carries a scale with them on random drug testing days they do on fighters. Avg tested weight throughout year is your wight-class.

He's 100% right and the UFC should be all over this, not USADA, the UFC... they should want healthy fighters who'll make weight and fight, unlike Khabib and others who drop out at the 11th hour due to weightcutting issues, costing them paydays, everyone...
Yup and future liability. It's known how harmful weight cutting is moreso than CTE ever was and NFL had to pay out billions. When shit starts hitting the fan in UFC and ambulance chasers latch on I could see this being a problem.

Yup and future liability. It's known how harmful weight cutting is moreso than CTE ever was and NFL had to pay out billions. When shit starts hitting the fan in UFC and ambulance chasers latch on I could see this being a problem.

Good point.
I suspect a lot more scrutiny & regulations regarding MMA over the next decade.

I've never heard that before but I think it's fucking brilliant . Regarding on Jon's comment fighter do not choose their weight class.

Back