Big John says weight cutting is more dangerous than PEDs

"Ok, we'll say he weighed in and it was 205"

Did John McCarthy just officially confirmed The TowelGate?

The fact that this is being talked about more and more suggests we're moving to a point where change is coming.

Fuck these guys who are cutting more than 15 pounds. And guys like Khabib who are cutting so much weight that their body just stops functioning.... I absolutely abhor extreme weight cutting and to me, it's the worst thing in the sport right now.

Imagine having a goal you've been working towards not only for a full fight camp, but for years - working up the ranks. Imagine that goal requires you to be at your best physical condition possible. And then imagine that 24 hours before reaching that goal, you drain your body of all fluids, you reduce your nutritional intake for a full week, starving yourself, and you completely distract yourself from the real task by committing this harm to your body.

It makes no fucking sense.

I'm incredibly curious what kind of performances we could see if fighters were healthy the week of the fight and weren't draining themselves.

1. Good point. Although I always cringe when I hear about scales issues. I buy scales for 10 dollars and it weighs me exactly the same every time I step on it and it's been reliable forever. Hard for me to image buying scales that actually are some good ones and can weigh you with great precision. There could always be equipped with 2 just to double check everything works fine. Also, there could be some allowance like 2lbs.

keep the scale in the boot of your car. then drive 1000 miles a week and see if it stays like that.

the trouble is, if there is even a slight doubt in the scale the athletes will be able to appeal against it. If an athletes fined x amount because of a couple of pound all they have to say is "that scales travelled 1000 miles a week, in an out of a car boot, its not accurate"

You mentioned starting to weigh in guys in the beginning of fight week. Is it your idea or it's being planned on?

they already do that. And if they are more than 8% over their target weight then they are monitored all week.

This is why you see Notivzky around sometimes at weigh ins, hes with the monitored fighters.

236 is ridiculous, but I guess I can believe it.

A few years ago I saw this BTS with Dolce and Alves. Alves was 197 (with clothes on). I think that was later that night after weigh-ins, but could have been the next day. Either way, he put on about 25 pounds. And that was before early weigh-ins. Therefore seems possible for a LHW to put on 30. But it's still ridiculous.

Wwe has somebody die every 7 months and they are booming. Ufc should follow suit

He is right. Cormier put himself in more danger than Jones, Lesnar, etc. It's sad he would literally die before fighting somebody his own size.
He only dropped to 205 because of Cain and he even said that. if it wasn't for Cain in the heavyweight division, I'm sure DC would be with the heavyweights.

He is right. Cormier put himself in more danger than Jones, Lesnar, etc. It's sad he would literally die before fighting somebody his own size.
DC has never lost at heavyweight, damn you're a shitty poster

He dropped because Cain was champ at the time. And DC isn't too big for LHW, he could easily make LHW if he followed a strict diet.

That is a mindboggling amount of weight lost and gained! These fighters should write a book and tell the world their secrets. Would be a best seller. Every overweight person in the world would buy that shit up! I bust my ass working a manual job, eat right, exercise regularly and help raise my rugrats and can't lose 3 pounds for the life of me!

Either they are full of shit and the scales are rigged, or these dudes are literally sitting in a closet with a dehumidifyer sucking every ounce of juice out of their veins like a piece of beef jerky!

Pretty wild. They could axe some weight classes to help to. No need to have 9 divisions all 10 pounds away from each other. Make it 3 . Lil dudes, Normal dudes and Monsters! Or just have open weight again. Boxing weight classes has no place in MMA. Defeats the whole purpose of being "The ultimate fighter".

Hopefully they do something. I imagine the overall performance and entertainment aspects would improve a lot as well if fighters were not on the verge of death the week of the fight?

I'm getting a little sick of bjm acting like he knows everything. Like now he's some fucking celebrity

I'm getting a little sick of bjm acting like he knows everything. Like now he's some fucking celebrity
He pretty much is in the MMA world, and he's been around since the beginning. People care about his opinions.

Does Big John make more money off of reffing or by running reffing seminars?

Back