Big Guy shaming in BJJ

270 here and i hate it when smaller guys tell me to be technical while they spin around like apes going gung ho with berimbolos. annoying af.

I'm sure it's just me being a white belt but I don't know how to NOT use my weight when rolling. When I see successful passing it usually involves speed or pressure. I'm too big for speed so I use pressure and I methodically improve my position at the same time.

It seems weird to suddenly decide to use less pressure. Isn't that just poor technique in the context of top game?

Most of the competitive lighter weight guys like to roll and drill with me, especially standup/takedowns and sweeps and also to get comfortable taking pressure from the pesadissimo so that when they execute those techniques or receive pressure from other fighters in their own weight division it's a lot easier. I am happy to help my teammates in this way, and we've got really tough lighter weights which I'm proud to play some small role in helping develop.

You complain about pussification by using 'shaming' as a pejorative term?

Complaining about shaming is like confessing you have a vagina. It doesn't make you a bad person, it just means you aren't male.

Using shaming to silence someone who is complaining about shaming?

Seems legit.

Shut up, fatty

:(

Most of the competitive lighter weight guys like to roll and drill with me, especially standup/takedowns and sweeps and also to get comfortable taking pressure from the pesadissimo so that when they execute those techniques or receive pressure from other fighters in their own weight division it's a lot easier. I am happy to help my teammates in this way, and we've got really tough lighter weights which I'm proud to play some small role in helping develop.

Agree, I appreciate this attitude and that's the way grappling should be. However there are also the people who are passive aggressive and complain about being squashed and tell you to ease down while you are already taking it easy and they themselves are going full competition mode.

Where do people draw the lines between what one considers small/medium/big guys btw? I'm a dad bod 190-200 lbs and considered a big guy where I train for instance.

Where do people draw the lines between what one considers small/medium/big guys btw? I'm a dad bod 190-200 lbs and considered a big guy where I train for instance.

your not a small dude, but you would be huge for a 135 pounder, but not so big to a 300 pounder...

I don't mind going hard every once in a while. I'm a 41 year old dude with nagging injuries who has been training for years. I don't mind going against the 21 year old college wrestler every once in a while but I hurt for it the next day.

Say why you will but I'm not into getting injured. I'm coming off a radial break in my wrist area. I was going against a competition blue belt. Young guy just exploded out of my grip when I was passing guard and my hand was caught in his gi. My grips suck right now as I'm trying to get my wrist flexibility back. The ultra heavy weight that is strong as shit, I can handle but I'm defending the whole time. I'm looking to prolong my grappling life not postpone it by going against the strong as shit guy and getting injured.

I think some people mistake the difference between using pressure and using size/strength. Using pressure is basically using your size/strength within the confines of techniques and principles that MAGNIFY it and implement it effectively in a way that will work on opponents of all levels. Using purely size/strength will just get you swarmed and choked out unless your rolling with lower belts (which is where big guys tend to develop this bad habit). Nobody should ever shame a practitioner of any size for using pressure since that's a key component of BJJ. Now the habit some big guys start BJJ with is just using their size/strength without any specific technique or principles in mind. Just crushes and controls their opponent strictly due to size difference. The Problem is that this might work on white and blue belts who aren't as fluid in their basics and who also tend to approach rolling with a lot of the same strength-vs-strength thinking but at a physical disadvantage. Beyond that, if the big guy hasn't evolved his use of strength/size to using pressure then he'll constantly get swarmed by smaller practitioners and be that cliché of the big guy in the absolute division at the bottom of the medal stand. Unless intentionally rolling with a handicap you should always use effective pressure; however, lower belts often do need to retrain their natural tendencies and dial back their reliance on unfocussed strength/size in order to develop the techniques and principles that will eventually magnify their size/strength attributes in effective way that are even more sadistic for their opponents. If they just continue using unrefined size/strength then they just hit a real hard brick wall in their development later.

Im a strong guy, 5'10 200-210 depending on the size of my dump that morning. The little guys try to kill me going full out making sure their bjj "works" I suppose. But if I crush their face in side control im "strong" Its a joke.

Being big and strong is a tool that should be used, Im not saying try to crush 145lb white belts, but don't feel bad about being big and strong and using it.

definitely in the "medium" category IMO. heavy is like 220+

good thing they made weight divisions to save big guys from little guys ruthlessly exploiting these advantages.
Nobody said speed or flexibility beats size, nor did did anyone say they have to be smaller to have a speed or flexibility advantage.

To not use physical advantages is stupid.

Nobody said speed or flexibility beats size, nor did did anyone say they have to be smaller to have a speed or flexibility advantage.

To not use physical advantages is stupid.

It really depends on your goal and the goal of your team.

A few year ago, I had 6-7 guys on the mats that were under 70 kg.

It was great as they could spar against each other.

It really depends on your goal and the goal of your team.

A few year ago, I had 6-7 guys on the mats that were under 70 kg.

It was great as they could spar against each other.
Unfortunately, I train mostly with bigger guys. And the guys close to my size, are much more experienced, faster and more flexible!

I think a lot of people are overly dependent on their size and strength.

Yes, size and strength are important. They should be used. But often times people rely on their size and strength and forsake learning the art because of it. If all a person can do is get to side control and use their attributes to land a keylock, they will never truly learn the art. Yes, they might be able to "beat" a lot of people they can out-muscle in the gym, but can they do that against people of similar weight/size in a competition?

If your size/strength is inhibiting you from actually learning a full array of techniques because you have a "go to move", you do need to use less of it...because once you run into a person who can counter your bread and butter, what's next?

In the grand scheme, I feel that BJJ is about movement more than it is about moves...if your movement is on point, the pressure shouldn't ever be considered an issue. If you keep doing one thing because that's what you have to do to "win" in the gym, your priorities are off.

Just my 2 cents.

I think a lot of people are overly dependent on their size and strength.

Yes, size and strength are important. They should be used. But often times people rely on their size and strength and forsake learning the art because of it. If all a person can do is get to side control and use their attributes to land a keylock, they will never truly learn the art. Yes, they might be able to "beat" a lot of people they can out-muscle in the gym, but can they do that against people of similar weight/size in a competition?

If your size/strength is inhibiting you from actually learning a full array of techniques because you have a "go to move", you do need to use less of it...because once you run into a person who can counter your bread and butter, what's next?

In the grand scheme, I feel that BJJ is about movement more than it is about moves...if your movement is on point, the pressure shouldn't ever be considered an issue. If you keep doing one thing because that's what you have to do to "win" in the gym, your priorities are off.

Just my 2 cents.

I've seen that exact scenario play out a few times. Most recently we had this guy start who was in his mid 50's and didn't look particularly imposing but everyone who rolled with him found out that he possessed some kind of otherworldly preternatural old man strength. He was a former wrestler and did crossfit so he had the scrambly determination of a wrestler paired with massive strength. He was great at ragdolling you to pass the guard and get you in side control or kesa where he could just move your arms where he wanted to get americana's. To this day no one has been able to just take my limbs and move them against my will as easily as this guy.

If you were smaller or less experience you didn't stand a chance. As a slightly bigger guy and seasoned blue, it took me by surprise when he did this to me a few times. Then I got more adept at stopping these attempts and sweeping him. Once he was on his back he was lost because he never spent any time there. He did the same moves every time and once you got him out of his comfort zone you could cook him until you tapped him out. He was coming for about a year but I haven't seen him in a while and I'm wondering if he decided to give it up.

Contrast this with another new guy that started a few months ago. Also a former wrestler about 6'2 and a solid 230. When he first started he would do the white belt spaz thing but he had great base and would just power through everything. However the higher belts could deal with his natural abilities and still tap him at will. That sunk in and he's really become dedicated to being technical (while not abandoning his strengths) and he's really starting to learn how to play guard etc. With as much as he comes he's going to be scary good in no time.

crushing a person with your weight takes technique.

except when it doesnt.

use your weight in practice when it improves your game and you're able to use it safely. if it doesnt improve your game or you dont have control of it, then dont.

I'm sure it's just me being a white belt but I don't know how to NOT use my weight when rolling. When I see successful passing it usually involves speed or pressure. I'm too big for speed so I use pressure and I methodically improve my position at the same time.

It seems weird to suddenly decide to use less pressure. Isn't that just poor technique in the context of top game?

If you are bigger than your sparring partner by lot of weight difference, etiquette would say to use less pressure.

I mean we all been there doing specific techniques knowing that they only worked because you are stronger or heavier than your sparring partner.

Back