Big Guy shaming in BJJ

fair enough, if you believe that.

im a red belt now and granted you my 1st reply as a red belt. your welcome.

I'm not implying people who compete have an ego problem, most don't, and weight classes also help to make for fun matches, as the big guy on small guy is at best mainly a boring blanket session, similar to Barnet vs lister in a way.

No they're not. They're set up to try and encourage even competition, just like belt ranks. I think most small guys would freely admit they'd have a really hard time beating an equally skilled big guy. As such, it's not really ego protection. People who spend money to compete in a tournament want to compete against people they have a reasonable likelihood of being competitive with on the basis of skill and conditioning. I see nothing egotistical or wrong about that.

You complain about pussification by using 'shaming' as a pejorative term?

Complaining about shaming is like confessing you have a vagina. It doesn't make you a bad person, it just means you aren't male.
lol I found out my cousin married a poly chick, and told him that's beta male shit. He asked if that meant i think he's beta, which I answered in the affirmative. He then told me that was very offensive and hurtful lololol

You complain about pussification by using 'shaming' as a pejorative term?

Complaining about shaming is like confessing you have a vagina. It doesn't make you a bad person, it just means you aren't male.
he was obviously using the term ironically..

I am a 100kg white belt, my coach is a short 70kg (on a good day) blue belt and he kills me every time. When he is on top it feels like he weighs 200kg. He hasnt complained once about my weight advantage, he moves so well and his technique is so crisp that it doesnt mean jack to him. I have seen him destroy heavier grapplers/mma fighters in sparring who were strong as bulls and certainly didnt go light with him. The only person I have seen to dominate him in sparring is Xande.

I am a 100kg white belt, my coach is a short 70kg (on a good day) blue belt and he kills me every time. When he is on top it feels like he weighs 200kg. He hasnt complained once about my weight advantage, he moves so well and his technique is so crisp that it doesnt mean jack to him. I have seen him destroy heavier grapplers/mma fighters in sparring who were strong as bulls and certainly didnt go light with him. The only person I have seen to dominate him in sparring is Xande.

Good on him for being really good but what does it has to do with the topic?

Do you think a 70 kg guy will become that good by consistently getting crushed by 100 kg training partner?

Or do you think it is your duty as a good training partner to lighten the pressure in order for the person to get the experience to use the techniques?

This BJJ attracts so many manlets because they think it will help them deal with bigger guys, then when they get stretched by a bigger guy they act like something went wrong. You're supposed to get wrecked by guys bigger than you, and as manlets, you of all people should know that.

manlets hope to deal with bigger guys who dont know bjj, but if you are 145 pounds hoping to deal with a 280 pounds untrained dude, unless hes 280 pounds of pure fat and cant even run half a mile, you are deluded...

Why not? I don't like using that card but feel it's just as valid stating a 290 pound guy is bigger then me as it is a 170 pound complaining about my size.

the same reason why HW is 205+...

Do you think a 70 kg guy will become that good by consistently getting crushed by 100 kg training partner?

Or do you think it is your duty as a good training partner to lighten the pressure in order for the person to get the experience to use the techniques?

mmmm... 100 vs 70 is still doable, Im 73 going constantly vs 90+, of course if I get someone near my level, it gets rough, if you let them establish HG, a good passer can really hurt you, key is is distance managment, and once on top, trying to stay heavy is pointless, if you pass, you gotta move A LOT, or you are getting reverse, 3/4 NS is the best control position in my opinion, always looking to transition to the back.

the same reason why HW is 205+...
And what is that reason? Or are you just saying that weight classes trump physics. Someone being 50% larger then me is still a factor even when you hit 200 pounds

EDIT:Also, are you talking about mma weight classes? Because in mma it's not 205+ it's 205-265. In reality 210 would be tiny for even lhw. In ibjjf HW is 207 and super heavy is 221.

Last edited:
And what is that reason? Or are you just saying that weight classes trump physics. Someone being 50% larger then me is still a factor even when you hit 200 pounds.

Uou should talk to the guys making weight classes, not me

Uou should talk to the guys making weight classes, not me
I'm talking to you because you are the one who made the statement as if was relevant to the topic or proved a point .

And see my edit, what weight classes are you referring to? Mma us not 205+ it's 205-265, ibjjf is 207 with super heavy above it being 221.

Do you think white belts will get good by consistently getting crushed by blue belts?

Do you think white belts will get good by consistently getting crushed by blue belts?

Yes, but blue belts don't necessarily injure white belts. An inexperienced hw white belt is very dangerous to other white belts.

Yes, but blue belts don't necessarily injure white belts. An inexperienced hw white belt is very dangerous to other white belts.

If big boy blue belt is smashing all your smaller whites blues and purples, match him up with browns and blacks who can handle him going full power.

That way everyone benefits, and no one has to artificially handicap themselves.

Back