Big Guy shaming in BJJ

Concrete Whale

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
UHW at wrestling class: Let's go Concrete Whale use your weight, this is good practice for us!

UHW at BJJ class: Take it easy Concrete Whale try not to crush, try to use technique not strength.

I do not endorse the ongoing pussification of BJJ with this shaming culture. Obviously you should not be going beast mode and ragdolling people 100lbs lighter than you but you also shouldn't be handing them pity wins, like that 340lb guy against the skinny teenager in the video, or permanently handicapping yourself. There's a place for flow rolling etc. but at the end of the day this is a combat sport and you should be trying to use all your advantages and be as effective as possible. And when someone is bigger and stronger than you you deal with it, no pity, use your grappling.

If faster guys are allowed to use their speed, or flexible guys are allowed to used their flexibility, why are bigger guys not allowed to use their size?

If faster guys are allowed to use their speed, or flexible guys are allowed to used their flexibility, why are bigger guys not allowed to use their size?
Well. It is simple.

Weight division and injuries.

Why people think that the smaller guys has to be crushed by the bigger guy in BJJ?

Is it because it is for self-defense?

You would not expect the same attitude in boxing for example. The chances of injuries would be too great.

You can tell you have a problem when the whales start asking the light guys for a roll instead of rolling with heavier guys.

Or when the whales insists to play top when his training partner is 20 kg smaller.

Same when the higher belts only wants to roll with newbies.

I roll with students that are 20 kg heavier and 10 years younger. The next day, I feel like I got hit by a bus.

Do you think I would put the pressure on a student that is 20 kg lighter?
Hell, no.

Last edited:
UHW at wrestling class: Let's go Concrete Whale use your weight, this is good practice for us!

UHW at BJJ class: Take it easy Concrete Whale try not to crush, try to use technique not strength.

I do not endorse the ongoing pussification of BJJ with this shaming culture. Obviously you should not be going beast mode and ragdolling people 100lbs lighter than you but you also shouldn't be handing them pity wins, like that 340lb guy against the skinny teenager in the video, or permanently handicapping yourself. There's a place for flow rolling etc. but at the end of the day this is a combat sport and you should be trying to use all your advantages and be as effective as possible. And when someone is bigger and stronger than you you deal with it, no pity, use your grappling.
your coach is tool. leave that place at once. he's teaching SHIT BJJ. if his higher belts cant handle your weight and strength at white belt they suck. leave the place at once.

@Concrete Whale -

Simply using pressure through good technique shouldn't ever be considered "dick" behavior. As a smaller guy myself (5'5"), I always tell the bigger guys to use proper pressure. To not do so robs them of the chance to practice applying it and it robs me of a chance to deal with it. Shame on me if I allow them to get to a position where they can use the pressure.

Like you said, don't go ape on people or really crank subs, but just using pressure through good position? That's Jiujitsu!

good thing they made weight divisions to save big guys from little guys ruthlessly exploiting these advantages.

@Concrete Whale -

Simply using pressure through good technique shouldn't ever be considered "dick" behavior. As a smaller guy myself (5'5"), I always tell the bigger guys to use proper pressure. To not do so robs them of the chance to practice applying it and it robs me of a chance to deal with it. Shame on me if I allow them to get to a position where they can use the pressure.

Like you said, don't go ape on people or really crank subs, but just using pressure through good position? That's Jiujitsu!

Agree completely and wish more people had this attitude.

Last night I went against a wrestler who weighs 330 lbs. We went from the feet and he didn't hold back. That's the way it should be.

You complain about pussification by using 'shaming' as a pejorative term?

Complaining about shaming is like confessing you have a vagina. It doesn't make you a bad person, it just means you aren't male.

Last night I went against a wrestler who weighs 330 lbs. We went from the feet and he didn't hold back. That's the way it should be.

That's a little much, lol. Like if the guy was a legit college level wrestler he can't go around just thumping people mercilessly. I mean, he can go 'hard' but not 100% against a 135lber like he's going against another hwt.

because sometimes, bigger guys are faster stronger and more flexible than smaller guys...

They can't shame you if you lay on them, just sayin'.

Yep, happened to me all the time in BJJ, would piss me off.

I just laughed it off most of the time, some manlet getting all pissy because I treated him exactly how a manlet would be treated on the street if I got on top of him.

That's a little much, lol. Like if the guy was a legit college level wrestler he can't go around just thumping people mercilessly. I mean, he can go 'hard' but not 100% against a 135lber like he's going against another hwt.
Ya lol

Speed or flexibility doesnt creates injuries.

Back