Better for everyday life Advanced Strength, Or Great Cardio?

So what's with the whole "run on your toes" phenomenon of late? I've probably ran enough miles to circumvent the globe twice in my 43 years and I was always a heel to toe runner.

I tried to jog on my toes on front foot pad and my calves couldn't take it.

I have noticed in my baby that she runs on her toes and I started to notice all babies seem to run on there toes and do perfect form squatting when picking up their dropped belongings.

I don't think the forefoot running is an "as of late thing" I learned that in highschool running cross country and track. All the best runners have done it except for maybe prefontaine sometimes. Her striking is bad for you.

Going out running with proper posture for an hour every other day sure will. Ask your physiotherapist.
Correct posture during running is more or less the same as correct standing posture.

Lol.

That's like saying "If you stand up straight you'll have proper posture".

It's impossible to run for an extended amount of time with proper posture if you don't have proper posture to begin with. Let alone run for an hour!

You think kenyans have good posture because they lift weights?
Choose any mid to high level runner then.
Lmao!

This is the posture (thoracic flexion, rounded shoulders, winged scapulas and forward head posture) of a 57-year-old who runs 90 km per week and has a 15:39 5k time:
http://www.runnersworld.com/runners-stories/the-runners-body/a-runners-torso
runnerchestandback.jpg

...and this is Mary Cain, Junior World Champion in the 3000m:

4012202.jpg

8744654_orig.png

Last edited:
I knew I was right to jack in the running.

I've actually always felt that running hurt my posture. You get fatigued and you don't even think about it.

Maybe sprinting could help but not distance running.

Running absolutely kills my knees. Takes ages for the pain to go away after a run (like, weeks).

Running absolutely kills my knees. Takes ages for the pain to go away after a run (like, weeks).

I've never had knee injuries from running. Hip and feet mostly. I've actually been backing off on the distance running. Just sprinting and doing interval stuff. I'm interested to see if I can stay in 50k shape without ever training more than 20k.

I've never had knee injuries from running. Hip and feet mostly. I've actually been backing off on the distance running. Just sprinting and doing interval stuff. I'm interested to see if I can stay in 50k shape without ever training more than 20k.
I'm flat footed, so that doesn't help, apparently.

It's no great loss for me though, I never really enjoyed running.

This.

I hear one of the reasons why is the break down of form due to fatigue over time. Apparently you're supposed to how do I say it.. ease on the impact and glide it out with the ball of the foot rather than having the foot slam to the floor flat all the time. Thats whats I heard, of course the longest distance I ran when I was in camp was 5km so its not like I ran long distance anyways.

We had a guy who prescribed to the old fashioned school of thought (lifting makes you gas/slow, doesn't give real functional strength for fighting), and had his entire conditioning plan of running 8-10k + 40min skipping 6 days a week. Eventually he got knee issues, visited the doctor and said his posterior was severely underdeveloped and needed to strengthen it ASAP. When we asked how it went, he said he was confused why the dr. said what he did... well no shit son 8-10k daily + no lifting + starvation caloric deficit = bad news

My personal choice is extreme conditioning,it makes everything in life easier

I had to sit through a catholic funeral once, that's the only time I wished I had better conditioning. Jesus died not for our sins, but so that we could do 1000 bw squats in a fucking hour.

I think both to a reasonable degree.

I enjoy being strong (at least strong for 175). I feel like that translates in better ways more often. Living in Florida, when the shirt comes off for a pool party (which is like twice a month), You will be happy to have some muscles. Of course, you don't want to be the fat guy who lifts heavy. You want to have a lean, muscular physique. I don't see that from many triathletes though and I worked as a performance coach at a gym with a separate specialization with Compu-Trainers and Triathletes. Most of them look like concentration camp victims and they young ones are not exactly knee deep in a river of pussy.

That being said, I would be pretty pissed off if I couldn't at least hike reasonably without getting tired or play basketball for a few hours on the weekend without losing my lunch.

I see no need to be able to run incredibly long distances in my everyday life, just reasonable NFFC (Non-Fat-Fuck-Cardio). With reasonable cardio being a given, I would rather be (and look) strong.

Of course, you don't want to be the fat guy who lifts heavy. You want to have a lean, muscular physique.

Says who?

I'll show up to the pool party looking like this:

9731ca04e22dde781b8c03d92d9fe640.jpg

and you can show up looking like a twink.

Says who?

I'll show up to the pool party looking like this:

9731ca04e22dde781b8c03d92d9fe640.jpg

and you can show up looking like a twink.
Lol. That is a bad example. That guy looks jacked. I mean half of the people at golds gym look like this:
1077894.1148501319127.lewis_DL_(cropped).JPG

It's cool and all that they deadlift 500 lbs which is like 80 lbs more than their bodyweight. But you aren't turning any heads at a pool party in South Florida with that physique of an undisciplined powerlifter or a "dirty bulker" as the fat fucks call it. If they are happy, more power to them, but no one can tell they lift unless they are at the gym.

80lbs more than their body weight? lol....my fuck. The guy Jim russel posted looks more like most average power lifters and gym goers that aren't mirror men.

Back