Better for everyday life Advanced Strength, Or Great Cardio?

For "everyday life", if it has to be "one or the other", it's advanced strength.

I can't see how that is even a question. Hardly worth debating.

Last edited:
5GURl4X.gif

I watched JBJ, and Hector Lombard Gas in their last fights.

And I know any 2 month personal trainer will say do both but as one that has tried to unsuccessfully hybrid both energy systems to an elite level throughout my life. I'm starting to wonder should I have just concentrated on being strong as I possible, or have Great Marathon/tour de France type level cardio from the get go.

Even though my training has taken me other places, this is why I respect kettlebells. You work up to doing a one-arm overhead press, weighted pull-up and one-legged squat with a kettlebell that's half your bodyweight. And that's pretty much strong enough for any sport.

Then there are the snatches: snatching hardstyle for ten minutes straight with any bell is a fucking nightmare and using 53lbs is the gold standard, but there are people all over youtube working on snatching the 72lbs bell for 5-10 minutes straight... which is unreal.

Lol at people who think women actually want to have sex for hours at a time.

It's true that the more you focus on one the other will suffer but there's no need to only do strength or endurance training although if I had to choose one it would be strength. The hormonal, muscle and joint benefits strength training provides trumps the benefits of cardio IMO (increasing catabolism for improvements in V02 max? Nah).

No reason why you can't do a mix of both for health purposes though.

It's true that the more you focus on one the other will suffer but there's no need to only do strength or endurance training although if I had to choose one it would be strength. The hormonal, muscle and joint benefits strength training provides trumps the benefits of cardio IMO (increasing catabolism for improvements in V02 max? Nah).

No reason why you can't do a mix of both for health purposes though.

Yeah I guess I just want to be a GSP type of dude that can wrestle,lift,jog,do gymnastics,train with the Olympic track and field team, just Canada's version of Steve rogers

Yeah I guess I just want to be a GSP type of dude that can wrestle,lift,jog,do gymnastics,train with the Olympic track and field team, just Canada's version of Steve rogers

Oh you mean Captain Canuck:

b8qlt.jpg

404770-6232-captain-canuck.gif

Strength > Cardio IMO.

Too much cardio cannibalizes your muscles.

Powerlifting makes you big, strong and confident and actually gives you loads of extra energy throughout the day.

Try doing a deadlift session one day and go jogging for 5k the next, see which makes you feel better afterwards.

Strength > Cardio IMO.

Too much cardio cannibalizes your muscles.

Powerlifting makes you big, strong and confident and actually gives you loads of extra energy throughout the day.

Try doing a deadlift session one day and go jogging for 5k the next, see which makes you feel better afterwards.

That's a good point mang. I ran a 10K years ago after doing a hellish circuit the day before(thought ten k was going to be cake) and yeah it almost ended me I had all these old as track club t shirt wearing septuagenarians passing me .

The final straw was when this ole ass grandma looking lady passed me that's when me pride kicked in(typed in popeye's voice) I dug deep and made it past the finish line before her.

Now before you guys comment on how pathetic that is remember I was a yoked then a muthafuckas 297lbs.

Seems really boring to me to only focus on one or the other for the rest of your life.

Why not check out Don Heatrick's stuff. He has a pretty decent model for how to develop various attributes.

You're right in the sense that you can't develop massive strength and elite cardio at the same time, but you can develop one while maintaining the other and then switch focus periodically.

Cardio. You'll feel better (mentally and physically) while doing it, and you'll feel better in your everyday life from it. Plus it isn't like cardio exercises don't build strength as well. I'd take regular jogging over deadlifts for posture correction any day.

That said, I personally vastly prefer lifting weights.

......Cap looks bad ass this douche looks like a goofball. No offense eh

But they are pretty much exactly the same. Other than the fact that in that image the guy has a cheesy smile.

For me, when I am in running shape, jogging (although 5k is very short for a jog). By far. An easy run in a really nice environment like the beach, a trail in the mountains, a really nice city, you feel absolutely amazing afterwards. Happy and refreshed. After deadlifting you feel like you have... just lifted something really ****ing heavy. Kind of beat up. A feeling of satisfaction if you achieved your goals, but hardly glowing with well-being. That's how it is for me, anyway.

For me, when I am in running shape, jogging (although 5k is very short for a jog). By far. An easy run in a really nice environment like the beach, a trail in the mountains, a really nice city, you feel absolutely amazing afterwards. Happy and refreshed. After deadlifting you feel like you have... just lifted something really ****ing heavy. Kind of beat up. A feeling of satisfaction if you achieved your goals, but hardly glowing with well-being. That's how it is for me, anyway.

And for me, the opposite.

Horses for courses, people enjoy different shit, etc.

Plus it isn't like cardio exercises don't build strength as well. I'd take regular jogging over deadlifts for posture correction any day.

This is a horrible point.

If you have bad posture, no amount jogging will ever improve it.

Proper strength training will.

Plus, any decent strength training, if the rest intervals are varied enough, you can achieve appreciable improvements in cardiovascular health associated with ventricular filling over time X volume of work.

Back