Better for everyday life Advanced Strength, Or Great Cardio?

Distance running doesn't do that to you. Her posture just stinks and probably always has. This guy won the Boston Marathon and he looks like he has fantastic posture.

But I do think that the top sprinters tend to have the best posture. They are near perfect specimens.

485929533.jpg

MEB_RUNNING_V2.jpg

PVq527xA.jpg

Meb can't hit teh 275. Maybe on the leg press but not the holy grail of male strength the bench press.

Meb can't hit teh 275. Maybe on the leg press but not the holy grail of male strength the bench press.
Lol true, but Meb will be alright. He is a world class athlete. And looks to be well put together and in alignment. That bodes well for longevity.

Last edited by a moderator:
Meb is such a badass runner. He's really shown serious grit in lots of his wins and he came from nothing, did it all on his own. He used to work at Home Depot while training full time.

Just do body weight calisthenics in crossfit-style workouts. Sprints, push-ups, pull-ups, sit-ups, squats, dips, etc. Search YouTube for Jack LaLane doing superman push-ups from his fingertips. Fuckin stud!

Just do body weight calisthenics in crossfit-style workouts. Sprints, push-ups, pull-ups, sit-ups, squats, dips, etc. Search YouTube for Jack LaLane doing superman push-ups from his fingertips. Fuckin stud!

Jack lalane was the man.

Jusr going to leave this in here for those saying you can't have both cardio and strength.

http://www.jtsstrength.com/articles/2014/04/12/5-questions-alex-viada/

Personally I do both not to an extreme level though, lift three times a week, run an hour with heart rate between 130-150 three times a week, maybe change it up with some sprints here and there throw in some yoga if I have time. Feel fine.

Lol true, but Meb will be alright. He is a world class athlete. And looks to be well put together and in alignment. That bodes well for longevity.

Rip. You know we share the same mind on about 99.99% of all things.

But I'm sorry this one time, and one time only I must vehemently disagree.

If you are a male "athlete" or even a bro /gym casual you must be able to hit teh 275 on the bench. or be able to rep 225 for a quality 12-15 reps.

Prospective kickers at the N.F.L combine can rep 225 mang.

Jack lalane was the man.

1. Jack LaLane

2.Joe Weider

3.founder of Golds gym

4.Arnold

5. Founder of cross fit. I know, I know, that will give some of you some pucker factor.

And no I'm not a cross fitter. But this guy started a world wide phenomenon that has caused millions of people to get involved in fitness.

So though I disagree with some of the things crossfire espouses. It's hard to argue that it's worked for many people.

Rip. You know we share the same mind on about 99.99% of all things.

But I'm sorry this one time, and one time only I must vehemently disagree.

If you are a male "athlete" or even a bro /gym casual you must be able to hit teh 275 on the bench. or be able to rep 225 for a quality 12-15 reps.

Prospective kickers at the N.F.L combine can rep 225 mang.
No problem man. We agree to disagree.

Strength is useless, go to work in a farm or construction and be outclassed by fat mexican midgets at most heavy manual labour.

So what you are saying is strength is the most important? These mexican midgets are using their strength built over a long time to accomplish the heavy manual labour.... They aren't building up a cardio base to allow them to complete their construction jobs.

On a serious note I believe strength is the most important, but not to 1000 pound squat extremes.
The main reason is maintaining that muscle mass into older age allows you to remain more mobile for longer.
I personally do both and have developed a love for LSD running lately, but I always come back to strength work.

So what you are saying is strength is the most important? These mexican midgets are using their strength built over a long time to accomplish the heavy manual labour.... They aren't building up a cardio base to allow them to complete their construction jobs.

On a serious note I believe strength is the most important, but not to 1000 pound squat extremes.
The main reason is maintaining that muscle mass into older age allows you to remain more mobile for longer.
I personally do both and have developed a love for LSD running lately, but I always come back to strength work.

Thats why i said after a certain point strength is useless.

He is talking about being elite in one aspect and how its impossible to be elite at both, if we talk about which one to train, then the answer is obviously both.

But after a certain point you are just stroking your ego into seeing if you can really break that PR, not actually getting much benefit outside that particular movement.

Meanwhile a higher VO2max is always going to be useful. At any chore at anytime since you can simply increase your workspeed.

If someone needs to shovel 2 tons of sand from A to B the one with the most cardio will win, because what its going to matter its the work output not the size of the shovel.

He is talking about being elite in one aspect and how its impossible to be elite at both, if we talk about which one to train, then the answer is obviously both.

But after a certain point you are just stroking your ego into seeing if you can really break that PR, not actually getting much benefit outside that particular movement.

Meanwhile a higher VO2max is always going to be useful. At any chore at anytime since you can simply increase your workspeed.

If someone needs to shovel 2 tons of sand from A to B the one with the most cardio will win, because what its going to matter its the work output not the size of the shovel.

Odd but awesome you use that sand shoveling analogy.

Being originally from southeast Michigan we get heavy wet snow. And days that we got big blizzards instead of risking a road accident.

I made shoveling snow my workout for the day. and let me Tell you. after maybe swimming with a weighted vest shoveling four feet of snow from around a large property was a wicked good strength and cardio burn.

I clearly remember the metro Detroit blizzard of 2010 where after the snow fell the temp dropped to about minus -5 and with the windchill it was even colder.

I broke out the old school shovel because I wanted to challenge myself, and to seem bad ass to my neighbors by heaving 70lb shovel fulls of snow and hurling it on to my yard like the heifel stone throw at a strongman comp.

and I wanted to see why this activity was literally killing so many dudes(also I couldn't get the snow blower started).

After about 45 minutes my Bhr was up there my back was getting tight I was drenched in sweat to the point where I had to take my winter jacket off.

I think you can also get to the point where that cardio is useless also. For example the abilty to complete an ultramarathon, which in this day and age is not really needed outside of extreme survival situations. In reality the ability to travel of 5km is becoming a rare occurence in this day and age.

How about if I change your sand shovelling example to the ability to carry someone to the hospital for 1 mile.
Now the person with the greater strength is more likely to get that person there faster. Yes they lack the conditioning, but there increased strength makes that carrying task easier and allows them to move the person faster in the end,

The extreme endurance person may not even be able to complete the task at all, due to their lack of strength. Our extreme strength athlete might have to take a couple long breathers or suffer a mild DADA 5000 esque heart attack at the other end, but at least he can get the job done.This is actually being found in some of the "Spartan Race" type events. The runners generally dominate, but a few have been done in on heavier obstacles when they are unable to take that burpee penalty in the championship races.

I think we all agree that training both is the way to go and the old days of this forum where it was "SQUATS AND MILK, SHUT THE F UP" is gone, but this is an interesting discussion. Outside of people that train for their sport, it really does just involve most people focusing on one aspect be it bodybuilding, powerlifting or LSD running.

Back