Better for everyday life Advanced Strength, Or Great Cardio?

In my late teens/early-mid 20's, after 7 years of competitive swimming followed by 5 years of competitive kick boxing (supplemented by quite a large amount of endurance running), I had excellent "cardio". I think I may still have an old ECG lying around, showing a 39 bpm count.

After 7 more years of almost zero endurance training, my cardio nowadays sucks. But my strength is at a way better level.

Everyday-life-wise, I notice a very substantial difference from my strength being better. I do not notice the slightest bit of difference from my cardio being way way worse.

I honestly cannot understand how this is even a question.

Some of my 200lb friends will go on cuts because they say they "feel bad" being "that heavy" (lol).

I weigh 250lbs, never do cardio, and feel absolutely fine on a daily basis. Legitimately. Obviously I'm not running any marathons, but it's not like I'm not getting out of breath walking up stairs or tying my shoes.

2012 weighed about 155-165 lbs ran a 20minute 5 K, felt pretty good, cardio was at an all time high. fast forward to today. 205-210 lbs and ran a 26 minute 5k in feb felt like garbage running it, but generally on a day to day basis being stronger is way better. Pretty much the same reasons Miaou already stated.

I have to move heavy shit a lot more than things that would be considered cardio intensive.

I have to move heavy shit a lot more than things that would be considered cardio intensive.

I figured with the way the media portrays how things are in the states you'd need that cardio to run away from all the terrorists and Mexican rapists.

I figured with the way the media portrays how things are in the states you'd need that cardio to run away from all the terrorists and Mexican rapists.

That's why we all carry semi-automatic guns.

This is a horrible point.

If you have bad posture, no amount jogging will ever improve it.

Going out running with proper posture for an hour every other day sure will. Ask your physiotherapist. You think kenyans have good posture because they lift weights?

Going out running with proper posture for an hour every other day sure will. Ask your physiotherapist. You think kenyans have good posture because they lift weights?

Evidence that Kenyans have good posture? Evidence that their good posture is caused by running?

If it's just "well, I saw some Kenyan runners on TV and they seemed to have great posture" then you shouldn't need anyone to explain why that is not evidence.

Running did nothing for my posture problems & back pain. Doing appropriate heavy lifts with proper form on the other hand played a large role in fixing them. And since when are Kenyan's known for their posture? Lol.

Running did nothing for my posture problems & back pain. Doing appropriate heavy lifts with proper form on the other hand played a large role in fixing them. And since when are Kenyan's known for their posture? Lol.

Then there is a good chance you did not run correctly.

Correct posture during running is more or less the same as correct standing posture. Ergo it is a great way to train good posture.

Incorrect posture during running does not fix your posture, and might well worsen it and give you other problems. Just like weight training done incorrectly can hurt you. Difference is doing deadlifts or other weighted excercises incorrectly can hurt you more, and you'll be doing them for a shorter time. Running will actually make you accustomed to maintaining a certain posture.

Not saying running is a good way to fix actual back injuries. Just that it is a good way to prevent them. In the sense that good posture prevents back injuries. And running improves your posture.

Last edited:
Evidence that Kenyans have good posture? Evidence that their good posture is caused by running?

If it's just "well, I saw some Kenyan runners on TV and they seemed to have great posture" then you shouldn't need anyone to explain why that is not evidence.

Choose any mid to high level runner then. Doesnt have to be kenyans. I think we can leave elite level runners out of this, since any professional athlete (regardless of sport) play by different rules.

Do i have statistical evidence that avid runners have better posture? No. But anecdotal evidence to this end is enough for me. I dont know many runners with poor posture, or with back issues for that matter. I personally had zero issues with back, shoulders, knees etc when I used to run (running and/or walking was suggested to me by my physiotherapist at the time, who remarked on my poor lumbar posture), and though I think weight training alleviates the problems I have now, I feel running was a better remedy. If your experience differs, then thats fine.

Last edited:
Hclear post: 116441679 said:
Choose any mid to high level runner then. Doesnt have to be kenyans. I think we can leave elite level runners out of this, since any professional athlete (regardless of sport) play by different rules.

Uhm... I don't think this is how it works.

When you learn to run with a proper coach, one of the things that you learn is to do it with correct posture. You learn other things like short strides/high cadence and midfoot or forefoot striking. If you spend dozens of hours a week running while concentrating on your posture, it's not surprising that your posture would improve overall.

If you don't have a coach of otherwise make a lot of effort to run with correct form, your form will not magically improve. Your posture will not improve, your cadence will not shorten, how you strike will not change.

Running doesn't improve your posture. Running, while consciously trying to improve your posture, will improve your posture.

Do i have statistical evidence that avid runners have better posture? No. But anecdotal evidence to this end is enough for me. I dont know many runners with poor posture, or with back issues for that matter. I personally had zero issues with back, shoulders, knees etc when I used to run (running and/or walking was suggested to me by my physiotherapist at the time, who remarked on my poor lumbar posture), and though I think weight training alleviates the problems I have now, I feel running was a better remedy. If your experience differs, then thats fine.

"Anecdotal evidence is enough for me". Great. Running wrecks my beck. And a friend of mine had to stop running because of back pain. There are some anecdotes.

Don't you think we need more than that? Studies and science, and so on? I mean... I thought that was one of the reasons we were here.

Then there is a good chance you did not run correctly.

Correct posture during running is more or less the same as correct standing posture. Ergo it is a great way to train good posture.

Incorrect posture during running does not fix your posture, and might well worsen it and give you other problems. Just like weight training done incorrectly can hurt you. Difference is doing deadlifts or other weighted excercises incorrectly can hurt you more, and you'll be doing them for a shorter time. Running will actually make you accustomed to maintaining a certain posture.

Not saying running is a good way to fix actual back injuries. Just that it is a good way to prevent them. In the sense that good posture prevents back injuries. And running improves your posture.

With lifting you get found out pretty quickly, and if you want to keep improving you're forced to address weak areas - which, for me anyway directly resulted in improved posture. The two went hand in hand. I think you can get away with a lot more when it comes to running. Maybe you can make slight improvements in posture by doing it "corectly", but I think there's less motivation to focus on it since it's less vital to performance, and that it would probably be a slower, less effective way to go about it too.

Uhm... I don't think this is how it works.

When you learn to run with a proper coach, one of the things that you learn is to do it with correct posture. You learn other things like short strides/high cadence and midfoot or forefoot striking. If you spend dozens of hours a week running while concentrating on your posture, it's not surprising that your posture would improve overall.

If you don't have a coach of otherwise make a lot of effort to run with correct form, your form will not magically improve. Your posture will not improve, your cadence will not shorten, how you strike will not change.

Running doesn't improve your posture. Running, while consciously trying to improve your posture, will improve your posture.

"Anecdotal evidence is enough for me". Great. Running wrecks my beck. And a friend of mine had to stop running because of back pain. There are some anecdotes.

Don't you think we need more than that? Studies and science, and so on? I mean... I thought that was one of the reasons we were here.

So what's with the whole "run on your toes" phenomenon of late? I've probably ran enough miles to circumvent the globe twice in my 43 years and I was always a heel to toe runner.

I tried to jog on my toes on front foot pad and my calves couldn't take it.

I have noticed in my baby that she runs on her toes and I started to notice all babies seem to run on there toes and do perfect form squatting when picking up their dropped belongings.

I feel you're attacking strawmen left and right here.

When do you ever do anything without consciously trying to improve, exactly?

And more importantly, since when are we matching anything but cardio (in this case running) done properly vs weight training done properly? What would even be the point?

And for the record, I can't imagine anyone running regularly who don't instinctively learn to assume a more beneficial position. Not that you have to counter this statement, since it isn't really relevant to the thread topic.

Okay, well, I don't know why you're all suddenly talking about back pain. I mentioned posture back in #54. I don't recall ever saying running was a cure for back pain.
Besides, if you're hurting your back running chances are you are doing something wrong, not that there's something inherently wrong with running. I mean, when you say running, what are we even talking about here? Light, recreational jogging for a couple of miles once or twice a week? Or marathons, or sprints, or some other intensive training? If we are comparing weight training to serious marathon training, for example, I couldn't even form an opinions since I've never trained at that level. And I never claimed to.
My layman's opinion is that intensive training, regardless of athletic discipline, is better than nothing but not nearly as beneficial as light to moderate excercise. I'd wager that intensive cardio is better than intensive weight training, just as moderate cardio is better than moderate weight training (if I had to choose one) but that's not something I'd bet money on.

When TS asked for my opinion, I gave him my opinion. My opinion, based on anecdotal evidence/experience and my perception of, I dunno, physiotherapeutical science and stuff, is that cardio is better for everyday life. Apropos posture, I think people with posture issues turn to weight training because it is the laziest way to improve it. Doesn't mean it is the best. Many don't improve, or only do it marginally. People who run regularly don't develop posture issues in the first place. Running, in my opinion, is a merciful way of getting high-quantity posture training, and it helps you shed excess weight in the process, and it improves your general fitness and wellbeing to a greater extent than weight training.
Problem?

Last edited:
I watched JBJ, and Hector Lombard Gas in their last fights.

And I know any 2 month personal trainer will say do both but as one that has tried to unsuccessfully hybrid both energy systems to an elite level throughout my life. I'm starting to wonder should I have just concentrated on being strong as I possible, or have Great Marathon/tour de France type level cardio from the get go.

Anyway I want you guys to try and be Objective regardless of your personal preference of Strength Training or Cardio.

And tell me or share with us which one you think is better for life's everyday tasks in general. And which one serves the Human body the best in the long run.

For those that reply with Both i'll just preface my responses by saying god bless sherdoggers lol.
There are all these old (50ish) powerlifting dudes that work out at my gym that squat like 400 but don't seem very healthy in a general sense so I'd say cardio is probably better for long term

I want more strength, but cardio is more useful in my day to day life. I find myself running around doing things or chasing a kid, and I rarely lift anything over 25 lb except at the gym.

or chasing a kid

xf1UTc8.png

I want more strength, but cardio is more useful in my day to day life. I find myself running around doing things or chasing a kid, and I rarely lift anything over 25 lb except at the gym.
What if the kid you're chasing is over 25lb and you need to lift him/her when you catch them?

Back