Bethesda or Rockstar?

Bethesda or Rockstar?

• Total voters
The last good Elder Scrolls was Morrowind, and those guys are all long gone from Bethesda. The only good Fallout they made was New Vegas, and Bethesda didn't have shit to do with it. A bunch of cans, IMO.

These are my top two favorite developers so I don't want this to sound like a knock. They both get my $60 nearly every time. But if was forced to choose one Id go with Bethesda. I prefer their craft your own character and story way of designing games over Rockstars way of you just playing an existing character in a heavily scripted game. Both are excellent in their own ways but I find Bethesda games more immersive. Outside of that, I find the games fairly equal just different. Rockstar games tend to look a little better but you can do more in Bethesda worlds.

And LOL at anyone that tries to claim either one of these publishers are shit. You can decide for yourself that the games are not for you but there is no disputing the critical and commercial success of both of these companies. Go play your fucking indy games so you can tell everyone how hip you are.

The last good Elder Scrolls was Morrowind, and those guys are all long gone from Bethesda. The only good Fallout they made was New Vegas, and Bethesda didn't have shit to do with it. A bunch of cans, IMO.
QyZso.gif

Before Fallout 76 i would've said Bethesda.

While I was not too happy with the feature stripping in the ai from GTA IV to V, along with the hideous micro transactions and not saying word 1 about the pc version for like 19 months after console release, Bethesda's games have been lacking effort for awhile. I started to really feel the formula getting stale in Skyrim, and F04 felt so devoid of real effort, I couldn't even finish it.

I'm a huge ES junkie so Bethesda gets my vote. GTAV was a monster though, sucks that they ruined it with endless DLC absurdity.

Rockstar by far. Their games are the total package. Bethesda games have dat scenery, but completely lack in other areas (Writing/plot/character)

If Fallout, Elder Scrolls and GTA are not your favorite open world stuff....what is!?
I hate the way Rockstar games control and play. They have a lot of good concepts and ideas, but the gameplay is so stiff, shooting and driving are terrible. Saints Row had open world tps gunplay nearly perfect a long time ago and drifting built into their driving mechanics.
Bethesda sticks with first person perspectives and they are well known for their bugs, so they haven't changed things up much either. Outside of Elder Scrolls and Fallout they excel, but The Evil Within 2 is the only open world game they have done in that area in a long time (and that was made by an outside Japanese team).
Tough to choose as neither makes my favorite open world stuff.

Rockstar by far. Their games are the total package. Bethesda games have dat scenery, but completely lack in other areas (Writing/plot/character)

No writing, plot or characters in Fallout? Bro...

That said... where's the both option?

preview.jpg

I personally get way more value out of Bethesda games, but they're apples and oranges, and both do incredible things with their respective brands of open world gameplay.

Skyrim to fallout 4 was 4 years. Next Elder scrolls will be at least another two years. So it's close.
But over the past 10 years they have given us Rage, Prey, Dishonored and Wolfenstein and a couple of Fallout games. Rockstar seems to have only released 2 GTA games, LA Noire, and 2 RDR Games

But over the past 10 years they have given us Rage, Prey, Dishonored and Wolfenstein and a couple of Fallout games. Rockstar seems to have only released 2 GTA games, LA Noire, and 2 RDR Games
Are we talking developed or published? Because Bethesda didn't develop any of those games you listed aside from Fallout.

Rockstar games just don't click with me. Ive put tons of hours into Bethesda games.

Are we talking developed or published? Because Bethesda didn't develop any of those games you listed aside from Fallout.

I'm referring specifically to games they developed, not just published.

Published =/= Developed

A lot of quality points made in this thread on both sides. I don't have much to add other than to say I love both.

As a 38 year old gamer who got started with an Atari 2600, I think gaming in general is wonderful today. Haters be damned.

Max Payne 3 too.

I forgot about LA Noire, that was an awesome game. lol Too bad it probably won't get a sequel.

Back