Bethesda or Rockstar?

Bethesda or Rockstar?

• Total voters

Hitman81

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
Two behemoths in the gaming industry. Both specialize in open world gaming but play very differently. Who would you choose if you could only get games from one? GTA and RDR? Or TES and Fallout?

@TeTe can you add a poll with neither being a third option?

I hate the way Rockstar games control and play. They have a lot of good concepts and ideas, but the gameplay is so stiff, shooting and driving are terrible. Saints Row had open world tps gunplay nearly perfect a long time ago and drifting built into their driving mechanics.
Bethesda sticks with first person perspectives and they are well known for their bugs, so they haven't changed things up much either. Outside of Elder Scrolls and Fallout they excel, but The Evil Within 2 is the only open world game they have done in that area in a long time (and that was made by an outside Japanese team).
Tough to choose as neither makes my favorite open world stuff.

Rockstar crafts masterpieces, imo. However, if I had to choose to get games from only one, it would be Bethesda. Rockstar has you play as a specific character, while Bethesda allows you to choose who and how you play that game. There's just more replay value in Fallout/Elder Scrolls than in GTA/RDR.

Rockstar for me. Their games have better well-crafted stories to keep me invested in the game. Often times they are much funnier too, so that also helps me stay in it.

Bethesda.

Could never really get into Red Dead or GTA, though FWIW I could never get into Fallout either. So this is mainly about TES for me

Rockstar all the way. Their controls may not be "ideal", but their world building is getting better and better. I'd actually rather live in one of their worlds than Bethesda's.

Hard choice but I'll lean a little towards Bethesda since they don't take 5 years to release one game

Rockstar. I feel like I'm in the Twilight Zone with Bethesda, they are such an acclaimed company but in my opinion they make extremely mediocre shallow games (except Morrowind, that was at least interesting exploration-wise due to how alien and weird the world looked), as someone else said about their games ''wide as an ocean, deep as a puddle''. They give you those big open worlds where the characters, stories and quests are beyond banal and dull, the gameplay/combat suck and the world building is clichè and generic, the world just feels so lifeless. Then if you maybe install 100 mods you can have a nice looking hiking simulator with pretty sights, but what's the point? Just go for a hike in the nearby mountains.

Last edited:
Fallout 76 is a shit tier Survival game with a 15 year old engine and as buggy as any other Betheada game and RDR2 is a generational GOAT title.

Gee I wonder whose better. This should be a slam dunk for R*.

Hard choice but I'll lean a little towards Bethesda since they don't take 5 years to release one game

They also dont release half-baked, shitty games that are full of bugs, a dated engine and graphics that look like they are from PS3/360 era.

Skyrim was their last great game and they milked the teet of that so dry it makes Betty White look like a nubile 19 year old.

@PRIDEWASBETTER poll for the OP please if Tete isn't available?

Without mods? Rockstar by a mile. With mods? Bethesda by 100 miles.

A large open world is shit without the ability for players to fill it with better ideas and gameplay.

As of 2012 I would have said Bethesda easily. Now it’s hard to say no to R*. There is immense pressure in ES6.

Skyrim to fallout 4 was 4 years. Next Elder scrolls will be at least another two years. So it's close.

They also dont release half-baked, shitty games that are full of bugs, a dated engine and graphics that look like they are from PS3/360 era.

Skyrim was their last great game and they milked the teet of that so dry it makes Betty White look like a nubile 19 year old.

@PRIDEWASBETTER poll for the OP please if Tete isn't available?
I texted him. Curious what the polls say.

Fallout 76 is a shit tier Survival game with a 15 year old engine and as buggy as any other Betheada game and RDR2 is a generational GOAT title.

Gee I wonder whose better. This should be a slam dunk for R*.

Bethesda makes great worlds, but Rockstar makes great worlds that feel lived in and are atmospherically superior by far. I think Rockstar easily based on that.

Two behemoths in the gaming industry. Both specialize in open world gaming but play very differently. Who would you choose if you could only get games from one? GTA and RDR? Or TES and Fallout?

@TeTe can you add a poll with neither being a third option?
Added

Bethesda makes great worlds, but Rockstar makes great worlds that feel lived in and are atmospherically superior by far. I think Rockstar easily based on that.
Shit I'd vote Rockstar based on Bugthesda's track record of glitches

Bethesda on ethics.

Rockstar gained their popularity by appealing to peoples animalistic behavior in loosely veiled RPG's. RDR series is their first step into adulthood.

I played the first two GTA's. While interesting they had little value. Friend bought GTA3 for the PS2 at release. He proceeded to kick someone in the balls for five minutes. At that moment i realized that my friend is an idiot and who the target audience of the GTA series is.

Bethesda easily I've never played a gta game even close to same amount of time I've put into Skyrim. The only game I own 3 copies of

Back