Ben Askren thinks it's insane to say GSP has the best wrestling for MMA

• Thread starter Deleted member 245586
  • Start date
In MMA, the more well-rounded wrestler IS the better wrestler

Lol are u sure u watched that fight? U make it sound like that was his back up option. GSP punched the absolute piss out of koscheck that night, koscheck literally had nothing for him. Not sure how the ref and doctors let that one keep going. Koscheck hasn't been the same since either.
Ive watched the fight several times and the wrestling was pretty even.
And in their first fight GSP edged him out but certainly didn't destroy him.
Kos is on par with Georges for sure. Not in BJJ but Kos is a phenom.

Lobbying hard I see. Can't really hate on him for trying but GSP would win via Jab fest.

Ben is an idiot.....GSP has proven to not only out wrestle the best wrestlers but also out grapple the best grapplers.

Ben is gonna get a big dose of reality very soon

I would love to watch this fight

A lot of exciting and intriguing top 10 matches to be made at 170... no need to throw Boring Ben into the mix.

Georges has the best mma wrestling period. No one uses it as well as he does to mix everything up.

And even if he does up joining the UFC soon, he isn't gong to get an immediate title shot. He'll need at least say 2 wins or more.

Good post but I seem to remember in the Kos rematch GSP pointedly not being able to take Kos down, and then resorting to jabbing him to death.

Not saying much really but I personally feel like Kos is his equal as a wrestler/take down artist.

Your memory has failed you

Tonycpa, that GSP takedown highlight vid you posted is great. However, I'm curious about something. At the beginning Eddie Bravo is talking and seems frustrated, almost even pissed, that GSP is able to take guys down "at will" like he said despite not wrestling in High School or college. Do you know when Eddie said this? It's interesting to me because of Eddie's own grappling accomplishments (he wrestled in HS and his ADCC win over Royler Gracie come to mind).

Recently, GSP revealed to Joe Rogan on his show/podcast (Joe being Eddie's good friend) that his Karate background is what really helps him with his shot (double-leg in most cases) because it helps him cover the distance so lightning fast. It makes sense when you consider Karate point fighting and getting in as quick as possible on your opponent. So, by now Eddie Bravo should have some remote idea of just HOW GSP is able to do what he does with his takedowns. :icon_idea

In Georges' book he also said fencing (in addition to Karate)

Ben is an idiot.....GSP has proven to not only out wrestle the best wrestlers but also out grapple the best grapplers.

He never faced someone that could wrestle with Askren. The gSP fanboys are going to be as butthurt as the Silva fanboys soon. Only questions is Hendricks or Askren.

I wish you included the losses (Just because it comes across like you're hiding them)

Overall though good read

The OP is providing examples of Georges' wrestling accomplishments. If that is the point of my post why would I include his one loss to Matt Hughes where he came up on the short end of the grappling exchange?

In the post I am quoting, you typed losses. what other loss did Georges suffer where he was outgrappled?

He only lost twice. The loss to Matt Serra was due to being out struck not out grappled. So, that would have no relevance to the OP.

I also omitted several other fights where Georges outgrappled his opponents. For one, the Mayhem Miller fight. I haven't read the whole thread yet but did anyone comment on me leaving out anyone else that he outgrappled? The OP wasn't meant to be encylopedic.

Last edited by a moderator:
Askren. Another dude who's a fat WW talking smack to a division he'll be destroyed in. Bet Askren loses two fights in the UFC at WW against sub level competition, moves to 155, loses against someone like Jim Miller, then gets cut. You heard it here first. Askren, 0-3 in the UFC.

That's the important part. Georges has demonstrated the best grappling at WW in MMA. Grappling includes wrestling, BJJ and the other grappling martial arts.

Please sign Askren so he can see how vastly inferior the fighters are in Bellator. I watch Bellator whenever it's on, it's just not quite on the same level. I think Askren would crack the top 10, but he'd struggle to make the top 5. He has very poor striking and is essentially a one trick pony. GSP would absolutely destroy Askren.

Good post but I seem to remember in the Kos rematch GSP pointedly not being able to take Kos down, and then resorting to jabbing him to death.

Not saying much really but I personally feel like Kos is his equal as a wrestler/take down artist.

"Resort"? GSP broke his orbital in the first round.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoyceOuthw
Back