Ben Askren thinks it's insane to say GSP has the best wrestling for MMA

• Thread starter Deleted member 245586
  • Start date
If Hendricks doesn't beat GSP, I'd love to see Askren vs GSP, just so GSP can smother him and tool with Askren for 5 rounds.

ya then can matt riddle get back in ufc and fight for belt, so he can know what its like to get dry humped on t.v.

I wish you included the losses (Just because it comes across like you're hiding them)

Overall though good read

You know what's even more insane? Anyone at 170 thinking they have better wrestling in MMA, at this point, than Georges, without stepping in there and proving otherwise.

GSP is the best 170 wrestler in MMA, until someone can out-wrestle him.

Askren is an absolute beast on the wrestling mat. There's just no questioning his wrestling skills and talent. That said, yes, this is MMA and in the cage it's far different especially when striking is involved (ie. for setups). GSP's setups are great, his feints and fakes before shooting or actually throwing a strike or two (jabs etc) and then shooting in for the TD. Josh Koscheck is also a beast on the wrestling mat but he's also more than proven to be a beast in the MMA cage too with his wrestling and takedowns. Askren isn't KOS, he doesn't have the explosiveness or that bulldozing train of a double-leg TD that KOS has shown with regularity over the years against the highest level MMA fighters (including GSP himself).

I understand where Askren is actually coming from but this isn't wrestling, this is a different sport altogether. Askren feels like he isn't getting the credit he feels is due to him for his wrestling and the vast accomplishments he's had on the mat and in MMA (in Bellator for example). But, until he faces elite wrestlers in the UFC, what does he expect?! If/when he faces a guy like KOS and can outwrestle him THEN he can have an actual say that holds some water. He's coming off as bitter and needs to swallow his pride for now until he can prove otherwise (that he's a better MMA wrestler than GSP is).

I mis-read the title as "Ben Affleck doesn't think GSP has the best wrestling for MMA". At first I was thinking WFT makes Ben Affleck feel like he deserves to even have an opinion on GSP.

When I realized it said Ben Askren I thought...WTF makes Ben Askren feel like he deserves to even have an opinion on GSP.

GSP would outstrike him... soo it doesn't matter

to beat GSP you have to be better at both aspects of the game...

This, if you're better at grappling he will jab you, if you're better at striking he will jab you and take you down. Condit came so close... I wish he went apeshit when he had the chance..

Love Askren. Give him a shot, Dana.

Askren, WW champ 2014

Like those before Askren is confusing mat wrestling with cage wrestling, GSP would lean him real good.

That said Hendricks is a real threat because you can't teach KO power or avoid it forever.

You cab teach effective techniques and train specifically to/that increase your power output making you more likely to KO someone.

I mis-read the title as "Ben Affleck doesn't think GSP has the best wrestling for MMA". At first I was thinking WFT makes Ben Affleck feel like he deserves to even have an opinion on GSP.

When I realized it said Ben Askren I thought...WTF makes Ben Askren feel like he deserves to even have an opinion on GSP.

What makes you feel like you deserve to have an opinion on GSP or on Askren having an opinion? How many fights more then them have you won?

Love Askren. Give him a shot, Dana.

Askren, WW champ 2014

Please tell me you're joking? :rolleyes: He hasn't even had 1 fight in the UFC yet! Not to mention that there are plenty of bad match ups for Askren at WW in the UFC. It's a whole different ballgame there compared to *burps* Bellator. The WW division is a very strong division and now guys like Palhares and Lombard are dropping down to WW too. There's plenty of big, powerful wrestlers to give Askren a run for his money at WW, slick BJJ guys (Nick Diaz, Condit, Shields if he wants to fight at WW, Maia etc) and plenty of good strikers to also give him some problems (Rory, Lawler, Ellenberger, Condit etc). This is before we even mention GSP's name as an opponent for Askren.

I love your threads.

Askren talks a lot but he has yet to prove that he deserves a shot imo.

He's right.

It's insane to say GSP has the best wrestling for MMA?

Takedowns Landed:

1 Georges St-Pierre 84
2 Gleison Tibau 69
3 Jon Fitch 58
4 Karo Parisyan 53
5 Clay Guida 51
6 Sean Sherk 50
7 Rashad Evans 49
8 Randy Couture 46
8 Frankie Edgar 46
10 Nik Lentz 45

Takedown Accuracy:

Rank Fighter Total
1 Georges St-Pierre 75.0%
2 Nate Marquardt 73.0%
3 Jonathan Goulet 70.0%
4 Renato Sobral 66.7%
4 Chris Weidman 66.7%
6 Jamie Varner 65.6%
7 Lyoto Machida 65.0%
8 Rich Franklin 63.6%
9 Luigi Fioravanti 63.2%
9 Cheick Kongo 63.2%

Takedown defence

1 Gleison Tibau 93.2%
2 Jose Aldo 89.7%
3 Andrei Arlovski 89.5%
4 Matthew Riddle 89.3%
5 Georges St-Pierre 88.0%
6 Gray Maynard 86.4%
7 Diego Brandao 85.7%
7 Francis Carmont 85.7%
7 Rory MacDonald 85.7%
10 Yushin Okami 84.4%

http://fightmetric.com/ufcrecords.php

Yeah insane...

What makes you feel like you deserve to have an opinion on GSP or on Askren having an opinion? How many fights more then them have you won?

Everybody has the right to have an opinion. I have never claimed to be the best in the world at something I do for a living when I am not. Askren is a dominant Bellator champion which proves absolutely nothing when it comes to the UFC. The UFCs WW division is littered with guys with good to great wrestling and if that's all you have then you are in trouble. Askren is not a well rounded fighter but he is really good at wrestling. I could care less if the UFC sign him because he isn't even top 10 IMO. I will laugh if Bellator don't sign him and neither do the UFC.

The old "how many fights do you have?" is a great one BTW.

It's insane to say GSP has the best wrestling for MMA?

Takedowns Landed:

1 Georges St-Pierre 84
2 Gleison Tibau 69
3 Jon Fitch 58
4 Karo Parisyan 53
5 Clay Guida 51
6 Sean Sherk 50
7 Rashad Evans 49
8 Randy Couture 46
8 Frankie Edgar 46
10 Nik Lentz 45

Takedown Accuracy:

Rank Fighter Total
1 Georges St-Pierre 75.0%
2 Nate Marquardt 73.0%
3 Jonathan Goulet 70.0%
4 Renato Sobral 66.7%
4 Chris Weidman 66.7%
6 Jamie Varner 65.6%
7 Lyoto Machida 65.0%
8 Rich Franklin 63.6%
9 Luigi Fioravanti 63.2%
9 Cheick Kongo 63.2%

Takedown defence

1 Gleison Tibau 93.2%
2 Jose Aldo 89.7%
3 Andrei Arlovski 89.5%
4 Matthew Riddle 89.3%
5 Georges St-Pierre 88.0%
6 Gray Maynard 86.4%
7 Diego Brandao 85.7%
7 Francis Carmont 85.7%
7 Rory MacDonald 85.7%
10 Yushin Okami 84.4%

http://fightmetric.com/ufcrecords.php

Yeah insane...

For sure. Not to mention that GSP has defended attempted takedowns from some of the best takedown artists and wrestlers in the game makes his Top 5 TDD ranking that much more legit. He definitely has a comfortable lead with takedowns landed and is #1 with takedown accuracy as the record shows. He also happens to have the most guard passes in the UFC and even the most significant strikes landed (many of these were on the ground of course). He holds several records and his wrestling-based records and stats are just part of them.

an olympic wrestler thinking he is a better wrestler then an mma fighter with no wrestling background. how bizarre. gsp just understands the variables of wrestling applied to mma. like transitions stiking to wrestling, timing strikes to td 's , distance and fighters stance. it also helps he is super explosive and strong. if they fought this is why he will get the td and defend the tdd. he is not close to being the better wrestler he is just the much better mma fighter

Ben Askren may be a better wrestler, but I doubt hes a better all around grappler.

Back