Ben Askren thinks it's insane to say GSP has the best wrestling for MMA

• Thread starter Deleted member 245586
  • Start date
The problem with Askren is that his resume doesn't warrant any right to mention GSP. Askren has yet to face a top 20 WW, and he is spouting about one of the top 2 p4p fighters in the world?

Time and again, GSP has faced top level wrestlers, and made them look totally beatable in grappling.

To NOT mention him as one of the, if not THE best MMA wrestler would be completely ridiculous.

He consistently outwrestles world class wrestlers & grapplers in the cage.

This is like Tyler Johnson (AHL MVP) saying he could beat Ovechkin (NHL MVP) on a one to one.

Have Askren fight Hendricks so he'll get KO'd or Condit so he gets submitted. Please.

I was kind of disappointed when I found out Ben Askren was going to be the new Batman. That being said...

The thing with the wrestlers in MMA is that they are usually good at their style but don't transition to other styles and incorporate other martial arts (Thai plum, Judo, BJJ) into as well. Ben Askren is a great folkstyle wrestler but I think GSP beats him as a total package because he can transition from one to the other as is required. That's what GSP is best at....making the right decision at the right time 99% of the time, standing, ground and transitions.

GSP has also shown that he can get back up when he is put on his back, something many wrestlers are not great at doing (Ben Askren can). It's also very hard to get back to your feet if you have GSP on top of you.

It may be true that GSP is not the best wrestler. But he is the best mixed martial artist. And an elite mixed martial artist only wrestles when he wants to wrestle....usually on his terms and usually takes you by surprise.

Askren is the most boring fighter in all of MMA. The UFC and everyone knows this except with his biggest fans hanging off his nuts.

Even Chael Sonnen said this and he sounded genuine. The key point Sonnen made was that GSP would fail miserably in straight wrestling but that in mma, he uses just a few basic moves but does them variably, making him so effective.

Askren is right that his wrestling credentials are probably better overall then GSP's, but the problem with that is GSP still has good enough wrestling to beat Askren on the feet.

I mis-read the title as "Ben Affleck doesn't think GSP has the best wrestling for MMA". At first I was thinking WFT makes Ben Affleck feel like he deserves to even have an opinion on GSP.

When I realized it said Ben Askren I thought...WTF makes Ben Askren feel like he deserves to even have an opinion on GSP.

Maybe the fact that he is an awesome wrestler and an unbeaten mma fighter?

I think GSP would beat Ben to be honest, but there is no way he outwrestles him even in a cage. GSP would win by stuffing bens takedowns and keeping him on the outside with his jab.

my takeaway is that Ben is willing to take an immediate title fight against GSP

which, when you think about it, is very sporting of him

unlike other challengers who run away from unearned title shots, Ben is willing to step up and make the biggest payday of his career.

that, my friends, is a real fighter

Boring Ben thinks he can talk his way into a title fight after Nick was able to do it, only problem is that boring Ben has nowhere near the drawing and promoting ability that Nick or Chael has. I doubt many are interested in seeing Ben fight GSP, it would be a one sided match, GSP does just about everything better.

my takeaway is that Ben is willing to take an immediate title fight against GSP

which, when you think about it, is very sporting of him

unlike other challengers who run away from unearned title shots, Ben is willing to step up and make the biggest payday of his career.

that, my friends, is a real fighter

More like an opportunist who is trying to cash in.

BJJ is not wrestling, and since when has Penn had a legendary guard? He had legendary TDD and had a great top game, but I've never heard of Penn's guard being anything dangerous?

#1) That's the point. Ben Askren seems to think that because he is a better credentialed wrestler in a different sport that he will be able to outwrestle GSP in the sport where he is champion. I would say to Ben that Georges will outgrapple him in a mixed martial arts prizefight the way he has almost everyone else that was supposed to be a better wrestler or have better BJJ, etc. When I say outgrapple, I mean all the grappling arts applied in an MMA match (since that is the only sport in which GSP competes).

#2) When I referenced Baby Jay's legendary guard I was referring to his ability to stop opponents from passing.

Last edited by a moderator:
For those of you that remember the Lookoutwhale clip Bloodsport Karma, you are going to like these clips below (watch them back to back). Someone edited the ending on the second one...

Truth be told, Askren is one of the most decorated wrestlers in MMA. He's more decorated than GSP but as we have seen in the past, decorations and titles mean jackshit.

Back