Ben Askren thinks it's insane to say GSP has the best wrestling for MMA

• Thread starter Deleted member 245586
  • Start date
Ive watched the fight several times and the wrestling was pretty even.
And in their first fight GSP edged him out but certainly didn't destroy him.
Kos is on par with Georges for sure. Not in BJJ but Kos is a phenom.

I don't understand how you can say koschecks wrestling is on par with GSP. GSP takes the fight where he wants it, koscheck literally didn't lay a glove on him that whole second fight. I don't get into all these wrestling credentials, doesn't mean shit when u get punched in the face. GSP finishes askren.

I don't understand how you can say koschecks wrestling is on par with GSP. GSP takes the fight where he wants it, koscheck literally didn't lay a glove on him that whole second fight. I don't get into all these wrestling credentials, doesn't mean shit when u get punched in the face. GSP finishes askren.

My opinion is that Ben is the best but even i must admit that his MMA record suggests that he has not been tested on the same level (or even close) to GSP and even Jon Jones who embarrassed a Chael Sonnen at his own game...

That being said my GUT tells me Ben is the elite due to the beauty of his game. I think he does need to drop down to 155 to maximize his potential.

This would be GSP's most lopsided victory. Askren wouldn't stand a chance against Georges.

GSP has unique variety of techniques to defeat the normal wrestling styles. I notice he uses all his speed, reach, explosion and high to low angle or mid to high and even mid to low rather than low to high common style. GSP vs Askren someday would be a great fight. I want to see if Askren can beat a UFC wrestler first then if he can dominate a top guy here he might be ready for GSP technical wrestling. :icon_chee Askren is scrappy and keeps coming so it would be interesting. Most guys facing GSP I think are in awe and just sit back and admire his speed. Wow they think this guy has a fast jab look it's on my face now.

i hope he never gets signed. He may be the most boring fighter in the world. I've only seen him fight 1 time and i hope i never have to endure that pain ever again. His plan is to grapple u until you get tired. While he may be talented at that, He never goes for subs and he barley throws any punches except for a few love taps to show the ref ( hes working).

His last fight the other guy was clueless on how to stop a TD, had no ground game, gassed in 1 round, spent every round on the ground getting "beat up". For some reason Ben couldn't sub this guy. Couldn't finish the guy with gnp. He had to ask the ref to stop the fight multiple times. The ref looked at him like uuhhh do some damage. I think the ref was tired of all the boos from the crowd that he finally decided to stop the fight, if you can call it that.

Bonus - After the fight he called the crowd communists for booing.

GSP didn't win the takedown war the second time he faced Koscheck. Koscheck stuffed a lot of takedowns and took GSP down with ease. When GSP did take him down he couldn't hold him for more than a few seconds.

GSP didn't win the takedown war the second time he faced Koscheck. Koscheck stuffed a lot of takedowns and took GSP down with ease. When GSP did take him down he couldn't hold him for more than a few seconds.

If by ease you mean have him pressed up against the cage and taking about a minute to get him down then sure.

Otherwise you might want to rewatch the fight.

Huh? Kos was 1/4 in that fight. GSP was 4/8

in fact over their 2 fights GSP 6/10 and kos is 2/8

I think it's asinine to say something like that without having at least one guy who you can point to as a better wrestler.

Askren must be hiding a bong in his fro cuz that dude is high.

GSP murders Askren. Askren is way in over his head.

Maybe it's just me, but I put more stock in credentials of someone who has been decisively out wrestling the best welter weights in the world for a decade, than those of a guy who has been smother random nobody schlubs in Bellator for three years.

GSP murders Askren. Askren is way in over his head.

If the subject is Wrestling then 2 time NCAA champ and US Olympian Ben Askren is not in over his head against GSP... I do believe that he should cut weight to 155 as his strength and size is not on Par with some of the elite WW's...

Maybe it's just me, but I put more stock in credentials of someone who has been decisively out wrestling the best welter weights in the world for a decade, than those of a guy who has been smother random nobody schlubs in Bellator for three years.

He accomplished more in wrestling that didn't involving punching, kicking and kneeing someone in the face, therefore he is clearly going to be a better wrestler, when those things are incorporated.

Just because GSP has proven to be the best at it, doesn't mean he is the best at it.......... ..... .... .......

Beat someone worth a damn, Ben Affleck, then talk.

I hope they don't even sign Askren.
That's a little immature. It doesn't matter what you think of his chances against St. Pierre, he's very talented and a fresh face to the division.

My prediction: Askren becomes a non-factor in the UFC. He will be lucky to ever even have the opportunity to face him and if he does......yes he will get grapplefucked.

Back