Ben Askren said he would destroy McGregor---New Roasted Podcast

6 finishes against- you guessed it- nbobodies. A lot easier to find the finish when the competition is subpar.

And that's his fault? Perhaps you should make an actual point...

And that's his fault? Perhaps you should make an actual point...
He's a boring fighter who only started get "exciting" when he started fighting bums. I thought that point was obvious.

Well, first, they are different weight classes...at first i was under the impression they are in the same weight class...they aren't..so why even argue...I think that askren would get clocked. and I love how all of a sudden, conor doesn't hit hard...based off of the mayweather fight..haha....people forget how many 1st round stoppages conor has. or the fact that only 2 people have ever gone the distance with conor...and 1 of them was at 170lbs...ONLY 2 PEOPLE. yet the guy doesn't have fire power...haha how many people have gone the distance with mark hunt? I bet more than 2...

He's faced people who hit as hard or harder. That's all.

Well, first, they are different weight classes...at first i was under the impression they are in the same weight class...they aren't..so why even argue...

Conor opened up that door by acting like Nates a legit 170lber. Plus he probably fights GSP at 170lbs if GSP beats Bisping.

He's been talking trash for years, while foighting nopbdies. Maybe if he didn't trash the UFC as well, he'd have been signed. It's his own fault. Been following Askren since the start of his Bellator run. When I didn't fall asleep watching him, that is.

Maybe? Doubtful...at least doubtful. UFC cut Fitch and Shields.

How long has it been since UFC has been about meritocracy per-se? They were too busy securing a more exciting prospect in CM Punk.

If we define "meritocracy" in the sense of "who brings in more money in", it was a good decision to set up tent and open a circus. If we define it as "being able to secure wins regardless of the style employed as long as it falls within the rules, and regardless of (some) fans' cries that nothing but banging is exciting", then no.

There are people that can follow a chess match and become fascinated with the technicalities involved. For others, that is not a legit competition, because not enough sweating is involved. As far as I am concerned: if someone can wrestle you into oblivion and there's nothing you can do to stop it, he's the better fighter and your loss is well deserved. Start to train wrestling.

He's a boring fighter who only started get "exciting" when he started fighting bums. I thought that point was obvious.

No it really wasn't. You don't like him as a fighter, no problem. He started getting "exciting" as his other skills evolved. He joined MMA as a pure wrestler.

You seem to forget him finishing the currently 20-2 Andrey Koreshkov by strikes as well in Bellator. He also finished 24-7 Karl Amousou in Bellator.

Interestingly, those were his last two fights in Bellator.

Like I said, the guy has evolved as any fighter does.

Lots of fighters with tons of decisions became fan favorites once they started finishing fighters. Decision Dan became Hendo with the H bomb for example. Hendo took a lot of crap for a lot of close decision wins early in his career. Lyoto Machida was also boring as hell early in his career until he started finishing fighters.

Conor opened up that door by acting like Nates a legit 170lber. Plus he probably fights GSP at 170lbs if GSP beats Bisping.

He probably will....conor loves that money...while nate isn't the biggest ww.., he's definitely a bigger guy that conor is...

who has askren ever fought that hits like conor? That is as fast and as accurate as conor?

Prob should rephrase my comment n say that Askren has fought bigger men who punch hard as well. None as accurate as Conor, I give you that, but that doesn't mean he'd somehow succumb to Conor's punching.

I'd never favor Conor in this match-up

http://forums.sherdog.com/posts/134318255/

this post above. askren had a chance to have some conversations about joining the UFC, but he burned all bridges. was probably satisfied beating top 100 guys in oneFC
fedor as many others have also had contracts disputes. But by not selling themselves short and becoming slaves doesn't mean they were ducking competition. You do understand the difference don't you?

fedor as many others have also had contracts disputes. But by not selling themselves short and becoming slaves doesn't mean they were ducking competition. You do understand the difference don't you?
this has nothing to do with askren. in a scrum, dana said that he was open to askren. and then askren proceeded to talk shit about the ufc, without even negotiating anything

this has nothing to do with askren. in a scrum, dana said that he was open to askren. and then askren proceeded to talk shit about the ufc, without even negotiating anything
so what your saying is yes, that means askren was running from competition??

not really. he was a bellator reject, it's understandable that dana didn't want him when bellator didn't renew his contract. but then a couple of years later dana opened the doors for him and askren shut it down repeatedly. he never really wanted to fight in the ufc. he probably just wanted to use it as leverage. maybe he could have been great, but he never wanted to fight the top guys in his division

yeah there was like 2 good guys in bellator. huge resume, right? and read what I said above, at that time dana didn't want him, but later dana was open to a discussion, but he repeatedly burned the bridges to the UFC. he was comforable in oneFC beating top 100 guys and didn't want to test himself with the best fighters in the world, that much is pretty clear

You lost me at "Bellator reject"

He was their undefeated champion.... but yeah, totally a reject.

talk is cheap. the guy ducked all legitimate competition in these last years. can't really talk. mcgregor accomplished way more than him

He didn't duck anyone. OneFC offered him more money than anyone else and he went there. Hard to fight in the UFC if they don't offer you a contract.

well he didn't want to even talk with the UFC, what do you think that mean?
Dana White blasted him in media for years till he was an option to sign with them, he didn't wanna do business with Dana White. As I have pointed out early lots of studs and tough fucking guys have said the same thing. None of which I would call out for ducking but especially not an Olympic athlete. What is wrong with you couch dwelling losers that assuming a guy who fights for a living is ducking if the situation doesn't unfold how you think it should.

Ben did things on his own terms, so good on him.
He's obviously a talent and would have done well in the UFC, but hypothetical matchups are not interesting really.

Back