Belfort justifies TRT usage

The argument is that there is a difference between some office worker who needs TRT and a professional fighter. For the office worker who really needs it, TRT is going to greatly enhance his lifestyle so he has more energy to play with his kids, bang his wife, get through a long workday. Maybe he goes yard at the company softball game. For that guy, it doesn't matter whether his low T was caused by a disease, a legal medication that fucked his hormones up, or a shit load of juice he took when he was really into bodybuilding during college.

When you're talking about an athlete, first of all there is obviously going to be a question about whether it's for his lifestyle (i.e., Sonnen saying he couldn't get out of bed) or whether it's strictly to enhance their athletic performance. In addition, the question of "why" his T is low is also more relevant. If a fighter takes steroids throughout his career, he is giving himself an unfair advantage during that time. So the argument would be, why would he let him take TRT now that he lowered his T level by cheating for all those years.

I don't think anybody is saying that Vitor (or any other guy who used steroids in the past) shouldn't be allowed to take TRT so that they're able to continue living a healthy and productive life. They'e saying he shouldn't get a TUE so that he can inject synthetic testosterone and still be a professional fighter.

There isn't as much difference as you'd think.

My old man has a prescription for TRT at the age of 53. He's an average 53 year old dude.

It may be your OPINION that a 53 year old man should not have the test levels of a 20 year old, and that may be a legitimate opinion. It may be your OPINION that a fighter doesn't need extra test, and it may be a legitimate one.

The medical world doesn't give a single shit about the average person's opinion. My dad doesn't need TRT, and Vitor probably doesn't need it either. Would you expect my dad to say no to feeling like a 20 year old again? Would you expect Vitor to say no to legal performance enhancement?

Again, the problem is the clinical standards for low test, and nothing else. Right now, it's absurdly easy to get approved for it, and that isn't the fault of anyone on it.

Hard to pick a side here. but if his hormonal levels are normal, he should dont known... public apologizes and palestrate about the consequences of TRT long time abuse. Maybe this way haters gonna have some mercy?

at this point in time, if anyone has been busted for performance-enhancing drugs in the past then I immediately assume that TRT usage is due to that cheating.

We're on the same page then. The issue is that it extends into the normal medical world, and you can't create one standard for fighters and one for the rest of the population. Unless testing is changed or the test deficit is brought down to a more realistic level, nothing will change. And in that case, you can't fault a fighter for using it.

I'm not directing this at you, but there's really no room for opinion here. Fighters on TRT are obeying the rules and doing nothing wrong, end of story. Anyone who considers a fighter legally on TRT to be a cheater is wrong.

IMO, TRT is enabling former cheaters.

We are on the same page as far as athletes using means to gain competitive advantages. As of right now, I don't blame vitor, Chael etc I think TRT should be banned.

Nothing wrong with doctor prescibed medicine when you follow the posology.

TRT is not the problem, cheaters are.

This is literally the opposite of correct.

No one with a TRT prescription is cheating. The ease of acquiring a TRT prescription is ENTIRELY the issue here. You could not be more wrong.

I am not for TRT usage. But how about a little consistency?

Sonnen justifies TRT, bad.
Belfort justifies TRT, "well he has a point".

Sherdog's hypocrisy never ceases to amaze me.

Testosterone is a banned substance while creatine and whey are not.

Or are you asking a broader "why is testosterone a banned substance while creatine and whey are not?" type question?

A little of both questions.

I know it's banned unless you have a doctors note. If you do then it's approved just likeall other legal performance enhancers because that is what creatine and protein powders are ... performance enhancers.

I doubt Mohammed Ali was on creatine ... what makes it ok for all of today's fighters to use it but not TRT which is legally available to everyone once your T count drops and you get a doctors note.

This is literally the opposite of correct.

No one with a TRT prescription is cheating. The ease of acquiring a TRT prescription is ENTIRELY the issue here. You could not be more wrong.

not to mention the fact that guys like Vitor have been busted in the past but are still granted an exemption for the use of testosterone. the system is broken and guys like Keith Kizer couldn't be more right

Haters seek ANY reason to bash athletes they dislike. TRT is currently a convenient means to bash Vitor Belfort. Of course these haters aren't bashing Sonnen, or Hendo, or...

Oh my...the perspective in this thread needs a makeover

If there is a single infallible rule in sports, it's that professional athletes will ALWAYS use what's available to them to maximize performance so long as risk is acceptable.

For some, that means roids and risking suspension, but for others the risk isn't worth it.

Athletes on TRT have a legitimate PRESCRIPTION for a performance enhancer. Do people on this board REALLY believe that anyone in their right minds would say NO to that? It's effective, cheap, and risk free.

In scenarios like this, you never blame the athlete, you look at the regulations. If TRT is legal, athletes will find a scrip and use it. If all steroids were legal, athletes would find a doc to give a scrip and use it; it's the only smart decision when your LIVELIHOOD depends on performance.

It's bad enough that people are so high and mighty when an athlete gets popped for illegal performance enhancers. I cannot believe a fan would get upset that a fighter is enhancing their performance through COMPLETELY LEGAL means.

not to mention the fact that guys like Vitor have been busted in the past but are still granted an exemption for the use of testosterone. the system is broken and guys like Keith Kizer couldn't be more right

Yep. If a doc says you can have it, the commission has to allow it. And if a doc says you can have it, you'd be stupid not to use it. That's all it boils down to.

Yep. If a doc says you can have it, the commission has to allow it. And if a doc says you can have it, you'd be stupid not to use it. That's all it boils down to.

Pretty much.

it just sucked for Vitor that back then doctors notes weren't justitifed

That was in Pride and over 7 years ago

and you do know that there is a strong correlation between previous steroid use and testosterone replacement therapy?

But that is another issue all together ...

... what should be the case is if you are caught with Roids ... you get banned for life and get fined for the money you made while on Roids.

But until that happens ... people are going to cheat.

But that is another issue all together ...

... what should be the case is if you are caught with Roids ... you get banned for life and get fined for the money you made while on Roids.

But until that happens ... people are going to cheat.

yeah, I am really past all of this TRT garbage. there are some guys who use it responsibly and are of age to have significantly lowered testosterone levels and that makes sense. Dan Henderson and Hughes come to mind, and I believe that they have a squeaky clean past. but guys like Belfort really cheapen the discussion and there is a reason why Dana White is on his ass now.

It's a legit question. Obviously you would agree there are differences between multi vitamins and say anabolic steroids?

In my opinion, you need to protect the fighters. If the substance produces a substantial advantage and is also detrimental to your health, it should be banned. Obviously steroids fit into this category. Substances like this do several things (all negative). They severely and negatively impact the health of the user. They are illegal in the US. And it would provide a significant disadvantage for those who will not use, which undermines the entire essence of sport.

Creatine and other supplements do not fall into this category because the advantage is minimal and the health risks are minimal (or even beneficial).

You raise a good question though, there is definitely a line. If steroids were safe they would be a miracle drug and everyone would use them. Health risks are a major factor.

I hate to break this to you, but you have been severely mislead as to the so called negative aspects of steroids. Stop listening to main stream media and start going on some real bodybuilding websites and listen to some real experts regarding steroids. Millions of people take steroids, yet, where are all the dead bodies? I have known guys that have been taking steroids for decades and are as healthy as they come.

The media loves to talk about the so called negative aspects of steroids. Ever see Sly Stallone for example? this guys is like 65 years old and is jacked as hell and healthy as hell. you don't think this guy does steroids and has been doing steroids for decades? Of course he has. With a few additional natural supplements, any negative aspects of steroids can be remedied.

I don't need to go into all the bodybuilders from the 70s that did tons of steroids, yet are alive and healthy to this day.

Back