Anyone use mouth-guards for BJJ?

I wonder if I just got lucky with the boil and bites ive used, but I don't mind it at all and never do full rolling without it.

People who don't use mouthguards confuse me a bit, just seems like such a black swan/fat tail kind of thing. Everyday you gain a tiny bit of extra happiness out of not wearing a mouth piece until boom, you knocked out half your teeth.

It's like an incredibly cheap form of insurance.

I roll with Blue Belts etc, that do no wear mouth-guards. I guess you don't roll, otherwise you'd see its common place. Doesn't mean it's the correct thing to do though, that's why I'm making this thread to see what people think.

I roll and compete a fuckload.

I'm just being smart and avoiding an eventual huge bill at some point in time. Shit, most competitions around here require a mouthpiece.

I wear one every time I hit the mat.

I don't want to chip a tooth or get a tooth knocked out.

At times when people are giving heavy shoulder pressure or trying to grind out a choke I am able to bite down on my mouth guard and it saves my teeth and jaw. Without a mount guard I'd be crushing and grinding my teeth which hurts the teeth and jaw.

I estimate about 1/2 the people at the guy wear one.

Forgot to mention I don't generally wear one for Judo randori unless I'm going really hard.

They're technically illegal under IJF rules if I'm not mistaken.

I just use a boil and bite, chipped a tooth as a white belt and never taking that risk again.

Forgot to mention I don't generally wear one for Judo randori unless I'm going really hard.

They're technically illegal under IJF rules if I'm not mistaken.

Where did you hear that from? LOL! Don't make things up man. No such rules. Plenty of people I know wear mouthguards for judo and IJF tournaments.

Yes, seen a lot of chipped teeth in BJJ, and I used to get a lot of cut lips from my teeth rubbing on my gums etc when people went for chokes or whatever. I use a custom molded dental mouthguard made by my old dentist - it was expensive (~200 dollars) but has lasted me for years and is so low profile that I don't even notice it. I recommend that all BJJ players do the same - we spend a lot of monthly tuition and gis etc so it makes sense to shell out a bit more for a quality mouthguard.

Always wear one, saved me having my teeth knocked out a couple of times, most notably when my opponent yanked me down from a seated position with my jaw directly into his knee.

$0.99 boil & bite from wal-mart.

better than a $999.00 dental bill. plus I can bite down on it to fight off RNC....it actually helps.

A training partner of mine had her front tooth kicked out during a 50/50 scramble, it is safer just to grab a boil and bite IMO.
Ive used those for BJJ and MMA and have been fine after some knocks.

Always. Never know when you gonna get that nasty elbow on the jaw

Where did you hear that from? LOL! Don't make things up man. No such rules. Plenty of people I know wear mouthguards for judo and IJF tournaments.

Travis Stevens video. This one, specifically.

I wear one in shiai too. Doesn't mean it's legal in IJF i.e. international tournaments.

Reading these comments, I might have to start wearing one. Didn't have any problems rolling except biting the lip part.

I did at first because i found myself leaving my mouth open [insert dick jokes here], and I was affraid of getting bumped/jarred and biting my tongue or cheeks etc. I've just been using the cheap boil and bite ones and they work fine--now i have dental coverage so i might inquire about a custom from my dentist

For the first 2 years i trained i didnt, then i double legged one of my training partners and smashed my mouth into his knee, 3000$ later and i had 3 teeth replaced.

Thats why i wear a mouthguard

I wear one every time i roll. Accidents happen, and I'm so vain I couldn't handle one of my teeth getting knocked out or broke. Not to mention the cost of prevention far outweighs the cost of repair.

Back