Anyone use mouth-guards for BJJ?

I wear one every time I'm on the mat whether it be for drilling, sparring or even just warming up.

I have one of these:

http://www.sisuguard.com/max-guard/

It's really comfortable and it fits better than any other boil & bite I've ever had (even if it sorta is a glorified, denser boil & bite).

I read that the guy who invented bodyarmor said that the most important factor is comfort, because if its not comfortable then you're not gonna wear it so it doesn't matter how strong it is. This thing is so comfortable, you can leave it in while you talk or get water. I almost forget that I'm wearing it sometimes.

Always. I learned the hard way when I first started.

Have started using my shitty old boil and bite again, have to get used to breathing through my nose, blowing snot and other random moisture everywhere

I do. I don't like the feeling of having me lips pressed into my teeth. I've caught some nice knees, elbows, and head butts to the grille and I'm glad I had my mouthpiece. I also think it helps me breathe better. Not sure why.

I started wearing one after I went for a pass while crouched and caught a knee while my mouth was open that resulted in half of my tongue nearly being bitten off. Worst week of my life, couldn't talk or eat.

Yes, I got a super expensive one from the dentist (used to use a boil and bite).

1. protect my teeth

2. The odd chance I get dinged by a knee/elbow etc. I've had a few concussions and it's better to be safe than sorry.

Every time I roll. I've been hit many times with elbows, foreheads, knees.

Figured I would circle back to this one. I would likely have lost some teeth last night had I not been wearing one. No gi scramble, and my foot slipped in some sweat on the mat, so rather than diving in to the guy's hips, I face planted into his knee. It's the unexpected oops that gets you. Better to be safe than sorry. Swollen lip is way better than lots of dental bills.

I wear one every time I'm on the mat whether it be for drilling, sparring or even just warming up.

I have one of these:

http://www.sisuguard.com/max-guard/

It's really comfortable and it fits better than any other boil & bite I've ever had (even if it sorta is a glorified, denser boil & bite).

I read that the guy who invented bodyarmor said that the most important factor is comfort, because if its not comfortable then you're not gonna wear it so it doesn't matter how strong it is. This thing is so comfortable, you can leave it in while you talk or get water. I almost forget that I'm wearing it sometimes.

I've been experimenting with one of these for a week or two now. I liked it initially, but my opinion has declined. The guard continues to shrink well after the initial fitting, to the point where it was starting to make my teeth loosen. This is after following the fit directions carefully and allowing the guard to cool in my mouth for 20+ minutes to ensure stability. By the second or third day the entire arc of the guard was noticeably smaller than my upper jaw and caused all my teeth to hurt after leaving it in for 30 or 40 minutes. YMMV.

thought I might chime in here. If anyone has questions about custom mouthguards I will be happy to answer them.

The SISU guard motioned earlier is actually designed to be a protective device for initubation procedures before surgery. The contact expect in this procedure is low velocity and rubbing is more of an issue. The product was not designed for high speed sports impacts. If the product had a reasonable protection value compared to even a boil and bite, they would market that, instead they market it as being 50% stronger. This means nothing to an athlete as far as I can tell.

The poster who introduced the SISU as a topic is correct in that the only guard that will protect you is the one you will wear. We hope that our product answer both the comfort as well as the protection issues. We have made guards for many of the Gracie's as well as other BB's in BJJ, not to dismiss the hundreds of lower belts that we have supplied with guards

Thank you to the poster who mentioned us earlier.

Last edited:
Yes. Any time I roll. I'm accident-prone, mouthguards are cheap and teeth are expensive.

I took an elbow/forearm to the face at my first tournament two days ago. I was wearing one of these:
http://www.dcmouthguards.com/collec...roducts/cracked-fanged-high-impact-mouthguard

Bottom lip is still bleeding two days later every time I drink something, but my teeth are fine.
kHlmscD.jpg

I used a boil and bite for about a year and a half. I just recently got a custom armourbite from my dentist and it is awesome. Expensive but awesome. The main thing is that I can breath so much better compared with the boil and bite. I noticed an immediate improvement in my performance and how I felt. There's also some data out there on these reducing cortisol levels and adrenaline dump. I don't know how much I believe that angle. But the improved breathing alone has sold me.

Check it out:
"the study showed that cortisol levels were lowered by 51 percent at 10 minutes post-exercise in the participants wearing the mouthpiece vs. those who did not. Cortisol levels were measured on all the participants (college football players) before, during and after a 60-minute session of intense resistance training.

Lowering an athlete’s cortisol levels more quickly after exercise gives the muscles an opportunity to repair faster and help prepare an athlete for the next workout"

There's also this:

"Specifically, the participants wearing ArmourBite took in 29% more oxygen, while expelling 21% more carbon dioxide than the subjects not wearing the mouthpiece.

“Our initial research showed an improvement in endurance, but this latest study identifies the exact gas exchange mechanism that was contributing to those positive results,” said Dr. Garner. “These endurance findings are significant for any athlete, but particularly those involved in endurance sports such as running, triathlons, football, hockey and soccer.”

This gas exchange study is the latest in a series of mouthpiece research conducted at The Citadel and previously published in Compendium, a peer reviewed dental journal (July/August 2009). According to prior research, the ArmourBite Mouthpiece creates a slight separation between the lower and upper teeth, while in turn shifting the jaw down and forward. This repositioning has been proven to help reduce cortisol and lactate levels."

Armourbite no longer makes a custom mouthguard. They only produce a boil and bite now. The company is no longer owned by under armour and is now know as bite tech, they license the Amourbite name. There quite a few mouthguards that offer the same jaw repositioning properties that armourbite promotes but in the custom form you got from your dentist. Several do it without the cost or need for a trip o the dentist.

Armourbite no longer makes a custom mouthguard. They only produce a boil and bite now. The company is no longer owned by under armour and is now know as bite tech, they license the Amourbite name. There quite a few mouthguards that offer the same jaw repositioning properties that armourbite promotes but in the custom form you got from your dentist. Several do it without the cost or need for a trip o the dentist.

That's cool. I don't know anything about the company. The guard I got has the little underarmour symbol on it. And it's got the separation between uppers and lowers and the slight jaw thrust thing.

My only point is that this custom guard is noticeably better than the boil and bite and totally worth it in my opinion.

I don't know if I have a small face, or if my overbite affects the space in my lip area, or what. Is there a low profile mouth guard that doesn't give me really bad ape face and allows me to comfortably have a closed mouth at rest? I also have an occasional gagging issue.

I wear one that I had made entirely free at a local college dental assistant program. It was basically a project for the student to take a mold of a person's mouth, and the volunteers got free custom mouthguards out of it. Pretty awesome deal.

And yeah. I've seen teeth get knocked out and chipped in half. No thanks.

I don't know if I have a small face, or if my overbite affects the space in my lip area, or what. Is there a low profile mouth guard that doesn't give me really bad ape face and allows me to comfortably have a closed mouth at rest? I also have an occasional gagging issue.

I would suggest you look at a custom. There are a fair number of manufactures, each custom is a one off product that is made for an individual from a model of their mouth. The size of your mouth should be taken into consideration when determining the termination points of the guard. The area of the mouth that causes the gag reflex occurs at the second molar and is know as the soft palate. Custom mouthguards should always terminate at the first molar or half of the second molar to stay away from this area. For someone who is just rolling we make extremely thin guards as well as a normal thickness guard. we can thin it out do to the incidental nature of contact rather than intentional repeated contact from say MuayThai.

I have a Gladiator Guard and I love it. It isn't clunky, fits great, and it has protected me from the various hits when rolling. Speaking and breathing with it are easier than with any boil and bite I had ever owned. It still fits and feels like new after a couple of years. I really recommend them. Unless you are one of those guys that is always losing your mouth guard. They are too expensive to buy a new one every week.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoyceOuthw
Back