Anyone use mouth-guards for BJJ?

Inverse

Ginger Belt
Staff member
Sherdog.com Staff
Reaction score
I currently don't but I notice some folk do. Anyone wana give me reasons for using one, if you use them? and reasons against if you do not?

Cheers.

If you get a custom made one, there's really no reason not to wear it. The only con is that you have to pay for it.

The upside is pretty obvious, protect one of the few parts of your body that doesn't heal when broken.

Yes. Any time I roll. I'm accident-prone, mouthguards are cheap and teeth are expensive.

Wild guess here, but I think one of the reasons to wear one is so that you don't get your teeth knocked out.

Yes. Any time I roll. I'm accident-prone, mouthguards are cheap and teeth are expensive.
If you get a custom made one, there's really no reason not to wear it. The only con is that you have to pay for it.

The upside is pretty obvious, protect one of the few parts of your body that doesn't heal when broken.
Yeah, I'm probably gonna get one. A custom one would be ideal but I was thinking of just getting a cheapy one.. but might go the custom route.

A decent boil-and-bite mouth guard can potentially save you some dental bills. The former is significantly cheaper than the latter.

Forgot to say that simply put, the $20 I spent on my mouth guard is worth the peace of mind if nothing else.

Last edited:
When I was still in the military I got one custom fit (they actually gave me two). Wear them every time I roll. Obviously helps against broken teeth, but also help that jarring feeling when your teeth mash together and your whole head hurts.

Motocross racers and similar wear them to reduce the risk of concussion. Less likely to happen in BJJ though.

Use one every time I roll. Habit from my mma training days. I pay $4 per boil/bite mouth guards from wall-mart. So cheap, I have spares in case I lose one. I use them to save my teeth, and to save the inside mouth tissue from my teeth.

I'll have a look into the boil and bite mouth-guards, thanks for the tip

I got a 2$ one 4 years ago that I still use all the time. Saved me from chipped teeth a bunch of times.

I do.

- I have a tendency to bite myself.
- Teeth are expensive.

I use the simple one that just covers the upper teeth, it's less bulky than those upper/lower ones, and for BJJ I think it's enough.

Plus, I think it helps with breathing more through your nose, though when you are gasping for air for whatever reason it can be a bitch.

I wear one because I don't want any broken teeth or accidently biting my lip or tongue in the heat of the moment. I don't wear one as much as i like because I have a bad gag reflex that flares up from time to time.

I forgot to mention check out the 'tap out' brand mouth guard that is boil and bite. They are surprisingly well made and the best mouth guard I have used thus far. I ignored that mouth guard the first time shopping around because I don't care for Tapout as a brand due to prejudice but man I love their mouth guards.

I always roll with them on. The ocassional knee or elbow to the head can cause your tooth to bang against each other, bite your toungue, or even pop or loosen a tooth. :) It happened to my as I´m wearing crowns, one of them flew away due to an accidental shin to the head from someone trying to berimbolo their way out of trouble.
I can´t use off the shelf mouth guards. I tried Venum and they made my front teeth move out of place. I had to use a mouth piece to correct that.
I use custom ones made by a dentist, they cost me around $25 bucks and fit perfectly. Any dentist who makes mouth guards for bruxism can make them they are made with the same machine just with a diferent kind of material.

I wear one all the time, but am doubly sure to wear it if we're sparring with takedowns or guys are prepping for competitions or MMA fights.

I forgot to mention check out the 'tap out' brand mouth guard that is boil and bite. They are surprisingly well made and the best mouth guard I have used thus far. I ignored that mouth guard the first time shopping around because I don't care for Tapout as a brand due to prejudice but man I love their mouth guards.
This is the brand I have. It's my favorite too.

I forgot mine last week and have been dealing with a busted lip this week. I get canker sores fairly easy too, so no mouth guard = 2weeks of pain.

All the time. I used a boil and bite for a few years, but it doesn't compare to the custom piece I got from gladiator guards. It doesn't budge during the most intense trainings and I barely even notice it's there.

The main reason i use a mouth piece is because i used to wear braces that cost a lot of money. In addition, i had to suffer through the whole straightening process for two whole years. I figure the least I can do is protect my time and money investment.

I do, I have a Gladiator and it feels really smooth you can even talk with it on. I didn't used to use one but have seen people take accidental knees to the mouth and it's real ugly... I started wearing one after a guy had a rear naked choke locked in over my mouth and decided to crank it, shredded lips was no fun. Also I have ADD and having something to chew on helps me roll better haha

Always do, custom made. Since my buddy got his tooth broken from accidental knee while rolling.

Back