Anyone use mouth-guards for BJJ?

If you get a custom made one, there's really no reason not to wear it. The only con is that you have to pay for it.

The upside is pretty obvious, protect one of the few parts of your body that doesn't heal when broken.

If you don't mind buying a used custom mouth guard they are pretty cheap. There is a bit of a trade off though and you have to wash it in barbicide first.

I will never knock someone for wearing one, but I never have in over 10 years of Judo, BJJ and wrestling.

I see more people wearing them in BJJ than I ever did in Wrestling or Judo, anyone know why that is? Of the three I've probably been accidentally bashed in the face more in the other two arts. Granted I have less time in BJJ, is this something you long time players suffer from more often over a longer timeline?

Edit: MMA is a no brainer, I wear one. Just referring to the pure grappling.

Put it this way. I didn't wear one my first few years. Now I need some serious dental work because of it. I have a few chipped teeth and cracked molars. It's going to cost me over a grand. I've been putting it off but I really need to get it fixed. That's why you need a mouth guard.

Why the fuck wouldn't you wear a mouth guard in bjj

I have an appointment with my dentist to get a custom made one fit in the next few weeks. 2 sessions. One to take an impression/moulding of my teeth, the other for collecting it.

Gonna cost £60, so around $100.

Boil and bite take up too much of your breathing space and make you gas quicker.
Professional ones don't do that.

I will never knock someone for wearing one, but I never have in over 10 years of Judo, BJJ and wrestling.

I see more people wearing them in BJJ than I ever did in Wrestling or Judo, anyone know why that is? Of the three I've probably been accidentally bashed in the face more in the other two arts. Granted I have less time in BJJ, is this something you long time players suffer from more often over a longer timeline?

Edit: MMA is a no brainer, I wear one. Just referring to the pure grappling.

I've noticed that, too. I've only ever seen two people wearing mouth guards in Judo.

I had a couple old boil-and-bite ones from the Army, but I find them too uncomfortable and distracting. Might look around at custom fit mouthguards.

White belts.
I roll with Blue Belts etc, that do no wear mouth-guards. I guess you don't roll, otherwise you'd see its common place. Doesn't mean it's the correct thing to do though, that's why I'm making this thread to see what people think.

I spit mine out when I'm tired, but getting caught in a guillotine with no mouth guard sucks.

I do. I've spent thousands of bucks on orthodontics, I'm protecting my investment.

I always wore one in judo but never wrestling. Wrestling was because I was young and invincible (aka stupid).

I find that the professionals with money wear one. The guys who are always broke hardly ever do. I wear a cheap one and have purchased several and passed them out at the gym. The guys still don't wear them.

I do. you never know when a freak accident happens. I've never had an injury related to it, but I wear one still.

I have an appointment with my dentist to get a custom made one fit in the next few weeks. 2 sessions. One to take an impression/moulding of my teeth, the other for collecting it.

Gonna cost £60, so around $100.

Boil and bite take up too much of your breathing space and make you gas quicker.
Professional ones don't do that.

This is the route I went. I can talk normally and drink water with mine in. I always wear it to roll.

I roll with Blue Belts etc, that do no wear mouth-guards. I guess you don't roll, otherwise you'd see its common place. Doesn't mean it's the correct thing to do though, that's why I'm making this thread to see what people think.

I think he means that white belts tend to thrash and have uncontrolled movements that pose a higher risk of shin to the face.

Always. I started with a boil and bite, but have since moved to a custom from proform guards. Think I paid $80 for 2, but that's been a couple of years. No idea what pricing is now, but I love the guards. They fit perfectly, don't affect my breathing, and I can talk while wearing one.

I got a custom made one when I went to Lebanon that was way cheaper than I would have paid here. Always have it in during rolling. I can't use the cheap boil ones, their too bulky, don't stay in right and make me gag.

Get a custom one, they're well worth the money.

This picture doesn't really do the injury justice, because it just look like a small flap - but it literally goes all the way through the tongue. Even after it healed I have an irregular skin fold from the awkward healing on my tongue.

Sa2Vts8.jpg

Wow, just realized how old that picture is. Have had my front teeth fixed since then.

I find your teeth can sometimes get crushing on sub chokes, thats whaat i wear mine for.

Back