Annoucer Goes Racist On Tv

Meanings of words and symblos change over night. swastika was sign of Peace for 100s of yrs until Hilter Changed it. You cant be calling black people cotton pickers in 2010s.

Question for you:

If I called a black person "nigqardly" (that's two Gs, the forums censors just don't like the word) and he got offended because he thought I was being racist, would he be in the right?

Because "nigqardly" is a word that means "not generous" or "stingy." It has nothing at all to do with black people.

Would it somehow be on me to protect against his ignorance?

And you are missing mine. He said something offensive, regardless if he is the Imperial Grand Cyclops of the KKK, or if he takes impoverished black kids off the streets and mentors them in his spare time. People were offended. He said something offensive on National TV (on the job) and he needs to be reprimanded. Its not about him being racist. Its what he said. People have the right to be outraged over his remark, just like you have the right to ignore it and decide its not a big deal. That's how respect works. If you do something that I perceive to be disrespectful then I'm going to bring it up. Whether you meant to be disrespectful is irrelevant. What I do not understand is why people are getting angry over other people expressing outrage

Thats my point. He said nothing offensive. But some people chose to take offense. Theres a big difference.

You want someone reprimanded not for anything he said, but for how some people chose to interpret what he said, even though they're interpretation is completely inaccurate. Think about that for a moment. It doesnt matter what you say, all that matters is how someone wants to construe it.

You have every right to be outraged. But your emotional outburst shouldnt result in someone else being reprimanded. Especially when your emotional reaction is based on something that literally did not happen. Being offended by something doesnt make it racist.

Last edited:
Meanings of words and symblos change over night. swastika was sign of Peace for 100s of yrs until Hilter Changed it. You cant be calling black people cotton pickers in 2010s.

That is true, but he didnt call them cotton pickers. Whats changed about the phrase coined in the 1700's that had nothing to do with slaves until hundreds of years latter in 2018?

Nothing at all. It's peoples perception of it that changed so radically. And its not a change for the better. A few years ago this would have been sorta funny at most.

Last edited:
Stop arguing you dorks.

Guy goofed and should have said something else, but I think its clear he didnt mean it. Just seems like something an old white guy would say innocently.

Question for you:

If I called a black person "nigqardly" (that's two Gs, the forums censors just don't like the word) and he got offended because he thought I was being racist, would he be in the right?

Because "nigqardly" is a word that means "not generous" or "stingy." It has nothing at all to do with black people.

giphy.gif

In White Man Cant Jump, Woody is like the second best player in the movie after Snipes and he can in fact jump

In that movie they take advantage of the notion that the white man cant play hoops

I remember that time you imfamously said a quote that caught a lot of attention.

What was it? Oh yes..

"Black people ruined the South" or something of that nature right?
Lol @ imfamously

Question for you:

There is no right or wrong to being offended. Sensibilities are what they are, and society doesn't really dictate what any particular person feels is offensive, as much as outrage culture would have us believe otherwise.

I'd say he was right to be mad at your choice of words, yes. The slur for people of his race is dominating the words structure and sound, and if I were black and someone said that to me, I'd feel a bit miffed as well.

I just got back from my Klan meeting and the guys are saying this is nothing. It's just an old expression.

You'll know when it's racist.

Question for you:

Would he be right? No, but it's analogous to pointing a shiny object at a cop with a gun on you.

Last edited:
There is no right or wrong to being offended. Sensibilities are what they are, and society doesn't really dictate what any particular person feels is offensive, as much as outrage culture would have us believe otherwise.

Anyone can get offended by anything, but I think the pertinent question is when we should, or should not, modify our conduct because of concerns that it might offend someone.

If you say, "Well, any time you think you might offend someone you should act accordingly" then I will disagree.

There has to be a limit. There are plenty of things that might offend someone that need to be done anyway, and plenty of ideas that might offend someone that need to be propagated nevertheless.

I'd say he was right to be mad at your choice of words, yes. The slur for people of his race is dominating the words structure and sound, and if I were black and someone said that to me, I'd feel a bit miffed as well.

A while back there was an interesting controversy surrounding the word. A mayor's aide used it and apparently someone took offense and the aide resigned under pressure.

One of the most interesting parts of the story was the NAACP's response:

Julian Bond, then chairman of the NAACP, deplored the offense that had been taken at Howard's use of the word. "You hate to think you have to censor your language to meet other people's lack of understanding", he said. "David Howard should not have quit. Mayor Williams should bring him back—and order dictionaries issued to all staff who need them."

I'd say I'm in agreement with Mr. Bond here.

Would he be right? No, but it's analogous to pointing a shiny object at a cop with a gun on you.

I probably wouldn't use it just because I don't want to have to be bothered with explaining the definition and etymology of the word constantly. But it's a perfectly acceptable word to use.

I probably wouldn't use it just because I don't want to have to be bothered with explaining the definition and etymology of the word constantly. But it's a perfectly acceptable word to use.

I don't think any word is unacceptable. But you have the acknowledge that some words will evoke a response from a person. Even if they happen to know the etymology of word it's still an insult and they're likely to misunderstand or false add race related connotations to it's meaning.

Thats my point. He said nothing offensive. But some people chose to take offense. Theres a big difference.

You want someone reprimanded not for anything he said, but for how some people chose to interpret what he said, even though they're interpretation is completely inaccurate. Think about that for a moment. It doesnt matter what you say, all that matters is how someone wants to construe it.

You have every right to be outraged. But your emotional outburst shouldnt result in someone else being reprimanded. Especially when your emotional reaction is based on something that literally did not happen. Being offended by something doesnt make it racist.

The only way we can judge if something is offensive or not, is the following reaction. You say he said nothing offensive. I would counter and say he did. For evidence, look at the outrage it is causing on social media. How can anything exist in the first place without human interpretation? How it is perceived is important. Certain combinations of words are more powerful than others would you agree? How can we measure their power? By the uproar they cause. That's the only real way we can determine their potency. Well Cotton picker generated a social media storm.

I don't think any word is unacceptable. But you have the acknowledge that some words will evoke a response from a person. Even if they happen to know the etymology of word it's still an insult and they're likely to misunderstand or false add race related connotations to it's meaning.

What do you mean by, "Even if they happen to know the etymology of the word it's still an insult"?

Isn't the contention here that it is precisely the word's etymology that insures it is NOT an insult?

What do you mean by, "Even if they happen to know the etymology of the word it's still an insult"?

Isn't the contention here that it is precisely the word's etymology that insures it is NOT an insult?
Being called "not generous or stingy" isn't an insult?

Being called "not generous or stingy" isn't an insult?

Oh, I see what you mean.

Well if they want to get insulted for that then that's another matter altogether. They could in that case actually have a legitimate complaint.

The only way we can judge if something is offensive or not, is the following reaction. You say he said nothing offensive. I would counter and say he did. For evidence, look at the outrage it is causing on social media. How can anything exist in the first place without human interpretation? How it is perceived is important. Certain combinations of words are more powerful than others would you agree? How can we measure their power? By the uproar they cause. That's the only real way we can determine their potency. Well Cotton picker generated a social media storm.

Responding to the bold. He didn't say cotton picker. Again, this is my point. People are not offended by what he said or meant. Theyre offended because of something that happened in their own mind, not in reality.

An uproar does not in and of itself justify its reason for existence. If you insult me and I shoot you, my uproar is not appropriate to what I'm responding to, and the degree of offense I take does not justify my actions.

Now imagine if you didn't actually insult me, but I thought you did. Again, the offense I take is not a justification for my interpretation, nor my response.

Why should people think other people should care that they're offended?

When you are disrespected, what do you do? Stick your chest out? What the fuck is that going to solve? It only proves your insecurity towards words. Something that holds no weight. it also turns you into a target for other shit heads to shit on you. I actually like getting offended, because it teaches me what type of asshole you are, I learn about you and move on with my life. Thats how an adult deals with it. sensitive people blame others for how they feel, they want to be protected, instead of dealing with it. Everyone gets uncomfortable, so deal with it. You're not the only one who gets uncomfortable.

In theory, I get what your'e saying, and I don't completely disagree.
BUT, we live in a society. Societies have rules and laws--social and legal. People learn how to act by either legal enforcement, or social enforcement.
Ignoring people who break these social laws serves no good for the society.

You have to choose your battles of course. I'm not saying you go out and be the 'word police' every time you hear something offensive. If I see a random asshole out on the street say something stupid, I'm more than likely not going to waste my time with him. But, a person I work with, a family member, or really any body that I have to spend some significant time with, it makes no sense to let that person disrespect me without having some words with them.
Having words with them doesn't mean beating their ass, or punking them. But acting like shit is cool, when it's not, I don't see how that is being an 'adult'. If an adult has a problem, they address it. HOW you address it will determine whether you are an actual adult, a child, or a moron.

Has nothing to do with "wanting to be protected". It's about respect. If you disrespect me, I"m going talk to you like a man and try to work out the problem. If it's a misunderstanding, then let's talk it out.0\
As an example, (i'm half black btw) If you and your friends throw around the "N" word (the one that ends in an A) and that's cool between you guys, and you start to try and use it on me, I'm going to tell you it's not cool.
At that point, if we're going to maintain contact with each other, we need to either respect one another, or we need to not associate with another.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
plasterby
Back