Always Heading West

Conditioning

Treadmill Incline Sprints
Tabata 4 minutes, 8.0% incline @ 9.0mph

Hey whatsup man, just checking in here. Haven't stopped by in a long time haha. Sounds like you're still making good progress! And teaching privates now? Awesome haha.

Yeah man. Teaching is still new to me and pretty rewarding.

Hey what's up with you? How is the business/training going?

Squat
315x6 (rep PR)
285x7

Leg Extensions
///

Leg Curls
///

Calf Raises
;///

Notes

+1 rep PR for squatting w/ 315. Felt good.

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

30 minutes technique

30 minutes rolling

Conditioning
Tabata treadmill sprints + incline walking
4 minutes + 5 minutes

Elliptical
15 minutes HIIT

Taught a 30-min private. Day over.

Driving for Lyft/Uber tomorrow​

Last edited:
tumblr_nja8k0aZYd1u7i8ano1_1280.jpg

http://www.humansofstraya.com/post/110135181813/im-a-big-beautiful-woman-im-eleanor-goiter-im

I’m a big beautiful woman. I’m Eleanor Goiter. I’m large-body-positive! I’m vivacious, curvaceous and something-else-vacious,like inspira-vacious. I’m living-large ‘n’ in-charge – of a mobile defibrillator for my hourly angina attack. My fem-fat friends like my stupid haircut, funky shaped glasses, cute little animal prints and giant polka-dots on everything. I also luurrvvv getting into illogical arguments about gender inequality and fat-scrimination. My favourite topic, besides how much I hate all the air in chip packets, is Nature vs Nurture – I’m unnaturally overweight and have never nurtured anything other than my curvaceous lady lumps.

Did I mention I’m curvaceous? I use the word curvaceous to redefine what most people would describe as “gruesomely obese and incomprehensibly still alive” to mean “oh wow I almost thought you were Jenny, Jenny from the Block, you’re soo curvaceous, num nums”. So yeah I mean ‘curvaceous’ as in “Latino” not “Leggos”.

I’ve been sponging off a government grant to write a thesis paper for my Grad-Dip in Female Genderous Culture Through Pubic Painting and Liturgical Movement. My paper is titled “Cross cultural modes of de-feminisation of post-feminist retail sales assistants assisting in the un-subconscious promotion of female circumcision using men’s cufflinks as a symbol of the patriarchal dominance in suffragette freedom activism”.

I love burlesque, cabaret and circus. I do all three, at the same time. I dress up in a lace bra and panties, and groan loudly while trying to balance on a podium. Burlesque is great. It’s a way for people too ugly to be strippers to be strippers. We can force other fat burlesque trolls to watch us and we can all join in the collective approval of our horrendous bodies.

Yeah man. Teaching is still new to me and pretty rewarding.

Hey what's up with you? How is the business/training going?

Yea man, glad to hear you enjoy teaching. It (to me) changes the way you learn the techniques as well, since you have to be able to relay that info properly later haha.

Everything's going pretty well here, I'll be starting my own BJJ class soon (9-12 year olds) mon-thurs so i'm excited to start that. So far we have about 12 kids signed up and a lot that have expressed interest.

Though the biggest news is my boss is gonna send me to california a few times a year to train/get certified under Andre galvao. :icon_chee

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

60 minutes drilling/rolling
Drilled 5 minutes straight back and forth with a few guys of varying body sizes. Worked on my double under pass, off of any reaction they gave me. Thinking of Kit Dale's approach to drilling to have your partner offer reactions, so you aren't doing rote drilling against someone that in real life, would not just sit there.

Then did 90-second burst straining from guard. Ninety seconds, you're down on points and have to sweep or submit.

Also taught the kids class for the first time today and then adult no-gi afterward. To be frank, teaching the kids class is twice as hard to me. It was like herding cats, wearing gis, who are accident prone and don't speak English.

In adult no-gi, we worked on arm triangle basics. Set up from taking mount, and set up from head lock/kesa gatame. Rolled in with the class doing 5-minute rounds and had a hell of a time with some of the bigger guys! These are dudes that have been coming to my no-gi classes every week and they are learning all the best parts of my I've been sharing. I'm at the same time surprised pleasantly and panicky about having to keep improving myself!

Feeling fat. Diet has to be in check this week. It's been REALLY bad lately :/

Yea man, glad to hear you enjoy teaching. It (to me) changes the way you learn the techniques as well, since you have to be able to relay that info properly later haha.

Everything's going pretty well here, I'll be starting my own BJJ class soon (9-12 year olds) mon-thurs so i'm excited to start that. So far we have about 12 kids signed up and a lot that have expressed interest.

Though the biggest news is my boss is gonna send me to california a few times a year to train/get certified under Andre galvao. :icon_chee

Nice! I look forward to reading your posts about training at Atos.

Deadlift
405x4
365x5

Chins
+90x5
+60x6

Chest-Supported Rows
160x6
140x7

DB Side Raises
35'sx9
30'sx10

Notes

-None

Conditioning

Treadmill Incline Sprints
Tabata 3 minutes, 8.0% incline @ 9.0mph

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

30 minutes technique
Worked two on one control from the feet to low single.

20 minutes rolling
Nothing to comment on​

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

30 minutes technique
Went over an awesome alternate whole-body shoulder lock to the kimura defense from the top. Very cool details, including pulling their entire shoulder/arm away from their body to make things super-tight.

30 minutes rolling
Went with our BB, a big blue belt, a purple and couple of white belts. Despite feeling sleepy, did great tonight. Tapped the BB with a knee bar off a N/S escape, got the purple with a bow and arrow, tapped the blue belt with two weird arm bars and chilled w the white belts.

Feeling good.

Conditioning

Tabata incline treadmill sprints
8.0 incline, 9.0mph, 4 minutes​

Strength Training

Bench
240x5
210x6

Inc DB Bench
85'sx6
75'sx7

DB Curlz
40'sx10
35'sx11

Rope Pushdown
??xwhatever
x2

Notes

-No BJJ or conditioning tonight. Diet has been on POINT this week and it feels soo much better to do so.​

Taught two consecutive privates with a couple of kids competing on Saturday.

Other than that didn't do jack shit today--No jiu-jitsu or conditioning. Despite heart racing from extra caffeine...Tomorrow will be good then compete on Saturday. Heavy, so this will be a practice tournament as I continue to lose weight and compete at my "actual" weight in April. Should be fun!

Strength Training

Squat
315x7 (+1 PR)
285x8

Leg Ext
???xwho cares

Leg Curls
160x8

Calf Raises
330x12x3

Notes

-Shitty sleep but this was easy.

Conditioning

Tabata Incline treadmill sprints
4 minutes, 8.5% incline 9.0mph

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

30 minutes technique
Wilson Reis visiting our gym for the weekend. We started late so didn't stay to roll. Looked at some cool half guard knee shield attacks from the bottom--sweeps and arm bars. One detail to remember is to curl your toes and hook his bottom leg with yours--Don't just let it sit there out of action.

Tournament tomorrow:icon_evil

https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=1013318392029848&l=6416605797222887028

NAGA Phoenix

Won first match, lost second match.

First was against a 35-year old built Latino guy. Pulled guard into my sweep, he got right back up and he pulled me into his half guard. I flattened him out, cross-face, worked my foot up, went back and forth between working up his arm and pushing his knee to free my leg. Each time I could tell it was getting closer. It took 4 times I think before he wasn't able to keep up with me and I cleared the knee to take mount. Solidified it for a while, but didn't want to get called for stalling.

Again kept working up the same arm, stepped over into a mounted triangle. Instead of finishing it from the top, safe position I rolled him and tried to finish from my back. I wasn't patient enough and didn't do all the steps I needed to, to finish the triangle and he was able to stand and bring me off the mat. Bad.

Tried to underhook the leg and work for an option B but he took advantage and passed into top side. He tried to go to KOB but I kept him off, stayed safe and he tried to take mount and I caught him in half guard. From here I forget what happened but there was a scramble and he ended up attacking a sort of Peruvian on me. I was able to control his foot on my head so he couldn't crank it like he wanted to. I knew I was up on points and just needed to hang on. At the same time, I knew I was going to pass out...It was just a matter of when. I decided I wouldn't tap and would let myself get put to sleep if I had to, to beat the buzzer. When I heard my coach say "Two seconds!" I knew I won. We stood up and my eyes were spotty, and I had to blink a few times to come back to life. Phew.

Totally exhausted at this point. Amazing how one tournament match can be harder on your body than an hour of open mat. Anyway, the way it was split up was it was two, two-man divisions in purple belt so I won the first division and then had to go with the guy in the second division.

He was tall, younger and looked athletic. Mentally, I had already checked out because I had a shiny NAGA champion belt for my one win and was looking forward to going home. I didn't want another match. Dragged myself onto the mat, slapped hands and went. He pulled me into his guard and worked a loop choke once or twice that I recognized the trap for, stayed out. He was working collar grips and I kept breaking them, ducking my head under.

He was also cutting angles on me. Foolishly, I thought of baiting and arm bar for him then hitting the defense/stack/arm pull to pass as like a fool's mate. Instead of taking the arm bar bait though he tapped thru a triangle. I tried to work my triangle defense but it was angled jussssst right, and I coudn't bring him down to the mat to work. Tapped early.

First time competing at purple belt. Tough but that was expected. This isn't the weight I compete at usually and I didn't cut. Overall I'm OK with the outcome. At least I didn't get completely steamrolled and have a big piece of hardware in my living room.

Forgot to update yesterday. Did a deadlift/pull workout but lower back was in a lot of pain for some reason. Probably from the squat PR friday. Did 405x3 then did upper body stuff.

Today did BJJ no-gi only, and some eliptical HIIT. Was going to do gi too, but my forearms were cramping up really bad for some reason. Dehydration? I dunno...This stuff is annoying to deal with.

Congrats on the first match victory and getting out there and competing!

Good to see you logging again, you're the only reason I stop by anymore.

What are you doing for work now? I went through Phoenix approach a while ago and was wondering if I would hear a jersey accent.

Thank you, TG!

What's going on Ath. I'm working Tucson tower now. Ever come down this way?

Conditioning

Tabata Outdoor Sprints
4 minutes

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu (no-gi)

60 minutes tech/drills/rolling
Brown belt from Phoenix taught tonight. Did drills and techniques from knee on belly on top. One especially cool one was a grip break from spinning arm bar, if they hold on. You lean to your left (or whatever side is towards his feet), kick your lower leg through all the way, under his back and lock up a TRIANGLE. Most abstract attack I've seen in a while and it fucking works.

Then rolled with the brown belt, a blue belt and a couple of other white/blue belts.

Some things to comment on:

-Dealing with the worst lack of motivation I've felt in years. My body fat is really high, my conditioning is poor, and I've been having a really bad emotional reaction to jiu-jitsu. I took an ENTIRE WEEK off of training just recently, of my own accord. In New York you'd have to pry me away from the mat to keep me off for a week. I have no idea why I've been feeling this way..It really kind of scares me. I would be so upset if I lost my love for grappling.

You see posts like this really frequently online. People post about "blue belt blues" and running out of steam. This is hardly a new phenomenon. I'm just so used to browsing over those threads, rolling my eyes and saying to myself, "suck it up. Cry me a river." Now I feel that way! It's like, you WANT to like jiu-jitsu, but...You just aren't enjoying it.

So you take a few days off, or a week off and your conditioning goes downhill. You put on weight. Other guys stay consistent, while you stagnate. Then you go back and they're better and you're worse. Now it's REALLY un-motivating. Then I think of a graph showing the price of a stock, rising over time. It goes up and down inconsistently. Even though it may drop, it returns to new heights soon after. As long as the big picture constantly has you moving forward, it's okay to realize you're in a period of stagnation. As long as it's temporary.

Now that I think about it, the answer to my problem is probably not training less, but training MORE. Training ten hours next week would force me in the gym and my cardio would go way up. I'd be too busy to mope and think about not liking jiu-jitsu. It'd just be part of my day again. Instead of intermittent, hit-or-miss like my diet and training has been lately.

To be frank, it's probably just laziness.

Last edited:
Dude, you're always going to struggle with motivation because you do lots of shit. You work shifts in a cognitive-critical job, you lift, do conditioning and are hitting the mats constantly. It's so easy to slip over the edge and do too much, burn out.

Recently I've been studying how stress at work affects my motivation to train, and it's noticeable. Life off the mats saps you, don't sweat it.

Strength Training

Squat
325x5
290x6

Calf Raises
340x12x3

Notes

-Lower back has been hurting all week. Backed off going too hard with 325. Definitely had more in me.

-Skipped leg ext/leg curls because the machines were being used, and to be honest it's kind of fucking gay looking.

Conditioning

Tabata Incline Treadmill Sprints
4 minutes

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

40 minutes technique
I taught today. We had a few beginners so20 spur of the moment I decided it'd be of value to go over some of the Gracie Basics curriculum. Talked about self-defense basics like weight on your toes, hands up in front of you during heated conversations. Then looked at closing the distance off a big over hand right, step around to hip toss. Second thing was throw counter to a choke from behind. Last thing was...Break falls. Amazing that there were blue-belt level people on the mat that had never learned how to break fall. This is the climate of jiu-jitsu today and the focus on sport competition.

24 minutes rolling
We did 6's from the feet. Went with a couple of sharp blues and a couple of white belts. Nothing really stood out except my motivation was EXTREMELY high today. I felt really good sharing this self-defense stuff and it showed on everyone's faces that it was brand-new stuff. A lot of people afterward came up and thanked me for showing the Basics material and I was very happy that they got something out of it. They'll have plenty of opportunities to learn x-guard/DLR the rest of the week. Today was crucial.

Again no idea where my motivation has come back from but I was rolling HARD, pushing and working and enjoying myself a lot. Conditioning needs work, and I have about 15-20lbs to make lightweight on April 11th but all things considered I think it's going to work out really well.

I also think going against dudes 20lbs less than my last comp will feel easy by comparison.

Gonna go back in a couple of hours to teach a private and stay for open mat.​

Back