Always Heading West

Dude, you're always going to struggle with motivation because you do lots of shit. You work shifts in a cognitive-critical job, you lift, do conditioning and are hitting the mats constantly. It's so easy to slip over the edge and do too much, burn out.

Recently I've been studying how stress at work affects my motivation to train, and it's noticeable. Life off the mats saps you, don't sweat it.

How does work and other shit affect YOUR motivation to train?

Personally I find it so much easier to go to BJJ in the morning than at 6pm in the evening. After a long day, you're tired and hungry and there's that "gap" between work and BJJ. I think if BJJ was RIGHT after work it'd be easier to find the motivation. But personally I find the down time so seductive for laziness to creep in. Ungh!

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu (no-gi)

30 minutes tech

30 minutes rolling

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

10 minutes drills

30 minutes rolling

How does work and other shit affect YOUR motivation to train?

Personally I find it so much easier to go to BJJ in the morning than at 6pm in the evening. After a long day, you're tired and hungry and there's that "gap" between work and BJJ. I think if BJJ was RIGHT after work it'd be easier to find the motivation. But personally I find the down time so seductive for laziness to creep in. Ungh!

My best time for training is usually if I wake up around 10am and train around 1. I feel I peak in the mid afternoon. Obviously that's not possible with work.

I don't have a gap after work for training. I go do the beginners class and drill fundamentals rather than wait around. On the old schedule I used to lift for 45 minutes then train grappling get right after. I absolutely will not train if there's a gap between work and trainin, it feels like I'm killing time. This is a problem if I ever finish work early, as I'm 10x more likely to skip training.

This week I'm going to experiment with going to the gym and doing mobility work during the MMA class then jump in on the rolling - I want more nogi mat time.

So first thing is fine, straight after work is fine, you give me a gap and I probably won't train. I'd rather stay home and study tape. I don't know why this is, but if you identify it as a factor then you can work around it.

Sprained ankle. Do not try to triangle 300lb grapplers who were in the secret Metamoris tournament.

Update---

Haven't rolled in weeks. Gained about 7lbs. The best word to describe my physique is, "rotund."

Decided it was the perfect time to schedule a long-overdue foot surgery. I have a morton's neuroma in my right foot plus pretty bad tailor's bunions. This surgery will knock both issues out simultaneously.

This is going to sideline me for a while. At least 2 months off from training. Everyone I know who's been in the game has had one major surgery set them back a bit in training. Hopefully this is mine and I'm getting it out of the way. It's not going to be fun getting back out there in 2-3 months: weak, fat, deconditioned. But quality of life will be vastly improved. Looking forward to getting this over with.

Update---

Haven't rolled in weeks. Gained about 7lbs. The best word to describe my physique is, "rotund."

Decided it was the perfect time to schedule a long-overdue foot surgery. I have a morton's neuroma in my right foot plus pretty bad tailor's bunions. This surgery will knock both issues out simultaneously.

This is going to sideline me for a while. At least 2 months off from training. Everyone I know who's been in the game has had one major surgery set them back a bit in training. Hopefully this is mine and I'm getting it out of the way. It's not going to be fun getting back out there in 2-3 months: weak, fat, deconditioned. But quality of life will be vastly improved. Looking forward to getting this over with.

Looks like it's time to get that upper body jacked eh? Sorry to hear 'bout the surgery man. Wisshin ya a speedy recovery

Ah man that sucks, but at least you get it all outta the way at once.

You got 99 problems, but a bench ain't one.

Thanks y'all. CoC grippers and wrist roller at the ready. And a shit ton of blu-rays and video games to play.

I guess you weren't there. I asked if you were working (first name only) when I got switched to tower and got a quick negative.

Damnit! I haven't checked this log in weeks! I can't believe I missed you dude!!!

What were you doing down here? How was the flight in and out?

Update--

About 3.5 weeks post-surgery. Went to the gym today and did a boxing class, hung out with the jiu-jitsu guys then did an hour of yoga.

Foot is healing really well. The bunionectomy is the far more troublesome surgery versus the neuroma removal. The doc said because of the sawing bone, etc that it would take longer to heal. The neuroma is pretty much all healed.

I can walk 90% normally but any pressure at all one the bunion--wearing shoes, for instance--is really uncomfortable. So still rocking the surgical shoe for a while.

Doc said she could see me wrestling again the second week of May. I'm inclined to agree if not even earlier.

Ankle sprain is not healed completely but gonna tape it up and even get some wrestling shoes for added support and visual reminder for training partners.

Felt great to be physically active after weeks of couch coasting.!

Don't have a current pic but here is the 1-week checkup two weeks ago. At this point I couldn't walk or put pressure on the foot at all. I was hobbling around on crutches. Amazing to think that was only 2 weeks ago and I'm already almost back to normal!

11178376_1052463038115383_7686272822787702677_n.jpg

Update--
!

I have a couple questions about lovatos for you. What were the prices when you were there? Drop in fees and monthly? Have any tips for someone who plans on traveling to them once a week?

Best of luck on your recovery.

I have a couple questions about lovatos for you. What were the prices when you were there? Drop in fees and monthly? Have any tips for someone who plans on traveling to them once a week?

Best of luck on your recovery.

I think they gave me a month for $150-180, somewhere in there. That's all I know because I only trained there when traveling for work.

Tips...Well, they are formal. Call everyone "professor ___".

They don't let you do leg locks unless you're a brown belt or above---Don't even get me started on that.

Nothing else really stands out.

Did some conditioning today. Foot is getting 5% better every day.

Did some HIIT on the elliptical and almost died from exhaustion. Way harder than boxing or yoga. The challenge is so much more acute.

Then did an improvised conditioning circuit---Heavy bag drags w/ gi top, heavy bag clinch-and-carry, medicine ball slams, shadow boxing. Made it through two rounds of this before having to stop to exhaustion.

Maybe if I can get out of this pain period now before I resume BJJ, rolling won't be so hard.

Yeah right!

Wrestling shoes are in the mail and I plan on going back this Saturday to teach no-gi. Maybe some rolling but we'll see.

I think they gave me a month for $150-180, somewhere in there. That's all I know because I only trained there when traveling for work.

Tips...Well, they are formal. Call everyone "professor ___".

They don't let you do leg locks unless you're a brown belt or above---Don't even get me started on that.

Nothing else really stands out.

Thanks man

Damnit! I haven't checked this log in weeks! I can't believe I missed you dude!!!

What were you doing down here? How was the flight in and out?

I just flew in and out dropping off a couple passengers, only there long enough to get some fuel.

Didn't know about the bunionectomy! That's crazy!

I just flew in and out dropping off a couple passengers, only there long enough to get some fuel.

Didn't know about the bunionectomy! That's crazy!

Ahh gotcha. Let me know if you're going to fly in again sometime. If you're in for a quick turn I can jog over to the fbo and say what's up at least.

Yeah the bunion shit's healing up well though. No big deal at all.

Out late last night, shitty sleep. Banged out of work after a few hours and been sluggish all day. Went over cals and half-asses some elliptical stuff at the gym in my apartment complex. and ate an entire pint of ben & jerry's boston cream ice cream plus other stuff

Chalk this day up as an "L" for SURE

Back