30'sx9

DB Side Raises
40'sx5
35'sx8

Tri Rope Pushdown
140xsomething
120xsomething

Notes

-Strength hasn't taken as much of a hit as I was suspecting. Bounce back should be good.

Conditioning

1 round of:
60 seconds medicine ball slams
60 seconds ground and pound
60 seconds heavy bag punches
60 seconds knees and elbows

Notes

-Took a page from Martin Rooney's Warrior Cario. This called for three 5-minute rounds. So I'll work up to that. Hardest I've worked cardio wise since the surgery. This was fun and different and very, very challenging.

[/CENTER]

Insane chest and shoulder muscle soreness from benching and poor sleep led to another off day yesterday. Didn't do any conditioning and went over calories but remained under 3,000kcal with protein high.

Going to try some rolling at open mat later. Scary!

Weight is 187. Even scarier

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

30 minutes teaching

30 minutes rolling

60 minutes drilling rolling

Foot is feeling not too bad. Insane lower body DOMS from light leg workout yesterday :O​

Last edited:
Oh fuck I overwrote the post from yesterday. Oh well.

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

60 minutes drilling
Drilled open guard passing, triangle escapes, mount escapes and side control escapes. Foot is swollen so I'm gonna ice the motherfucker for a while, while I read on my couch.

Did a 5-minute round with a flyweight white belt at the end. Skill and technique is coming back faster than I thought it would.

Conditioning

1 round of:
60 seconds ground and pound
60 seconds heavy bag punches
60 seconds knees and elbows

I swear I could have done more rounds. I was just feeling bored/lazy.

Last edited:
Strength

Deadlift
325x7
285x8

Snatch Grip High Pulls
135x5
135x5

Chins
+65x8
+45x9
BWx10

Calf Raises
255x12
255x12

Notes

-Nothing of note. Sleep was poor last night but caffeine is your friend.

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

30 minutes technique
Black belt taught some lapel/worm guard stuff. Even though I am anti-sport BJJ, it can't hurt to be familiar with this stuff to defend it.

40 minutes rolling
Did 5 minute rounds with a purple, black belt and a few white belts. Overall did well although with one white belt, a strong wrestler, I felt like my muscles were shutting down on me. I just had zero strength left after a couple of minutes.

I'm still playing conservatively but also upping the aggression/top game dominance more and more. Foot is ok, there isn't a whole lot I can't do. It does swell up fast though so I'm going to ice it some more.​

Strength

Bench
225x9
205x10

DB Thick Curlz
40'sx8
35'sx9

DB Side Raises
40'sx8
35'sx9

V-bar pushdown
??
??

Notes

-Nothin'

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu (no-gi)

30 minutes tech

30 minutes rolling

I went to TUS again yesterday, didn't know until last minute but got there right before that F-16 emergency landing. Then I had an interesting day, had to squawk 7600 but eventually got comms back and diverted safely.

30 minutes teaching
Went over some escape options for bottom knee on belly

30 minutes rolling
Had everyone do 3-minute rounds from KoB, switching top and bottom with no rest between rounds.

60 minutes rolling
Comp class; did some drills and went right into rolls. Went with a blue, purple, brown and black belt. Actually did best against the brown belt. Still a tough day going with our best guys. Feeling better than I predicted I would be at this stage coming back from surgery. Overall, no problems with the foot.

I went to TUS again yesterday, didn't know until last minute but got there right before that F-16 emergency landing. Then I had an interesting day, had to squawk 7600 but eventually got comms back and diverted safely.

Damn! Where did you lose comms and divert to?

Next time you come in, I'm the only guy in the tower that says "if able" with runway exiting instructions. So if you hear tower say that, you know who you're talking to ;)

Damn! Where did you lose comms and divert to?

Next time you come in, I'm the only guy in the tower that says "if able" with runway exiting instructions. So if you hear tower say that, you know who you're talking to ;)

We were at 270 deviating for weather after EWM. Made maybe 50 miles East and started to divert to El Paso before we got comms back and went to ATS instead which is kind of our companies second home.

Don't you have a Jersey accent too?

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

60 minutes drilling
Drilled with a purple and blue belt. Went over hitchhiker arm bar escape, darce attack from top side, change to no-gi ezekiel off of head and arm defense, and working Lister and Bodycomb-style leg attacks from single leg x.​

We were at 270 deviating for weather after EWM. Made maybe 50 miles East and started to divert to El Paso before we got comms back and went to ATS instead which is kind of our companies second home.

Don't you have a Jersey accent too?

Mild Jersey/Philly/New York accent. I'm doing a lot of office work downstairs at the moment though, haven't been upstairs in a few weeks.

Strength

Deadlift
335x7
315x8

Snatch High Pull
135x5

Chins
+75x8
+45x9
BWx10

Notes

-None

30 minutes technique

30 minutes rolling

Conditioning

30 minutes Elliptical Intervals

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

20 minutes drilling takedowns

45 minutes teaching

Strength

Bench
235x6 or 7
210x7

Push ups

DB Thick Curlz
30'sx8
30'sx8

Notes

-Kind of a half-assed bench workout. Just was feeling a little unmotivated/hungry. Schedule was off due to a late meeting at work. Ehhhh whatev

-Going to bring back weighted push ups and one-armed push ups as an accessory movement. I really enjoyed making progress with these a few summers ago and it's cool to work in a different rep range.​

Mixed Martial Arts

30 minutes drills/tech

30 minutes rolling from the feet

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

40 minutes rolling/drilling
Open mat. Been working a lot of standup/wrestling since I've been back. Holy shit, my poor spine is not used to wrestling with a 190lb body. I haven't been this fat in years! Lower back was in awful pain so bad I almost pulled over driving home.​

Taught 30 minutes

Rolled 30 minutes

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu (gi)

60 minutes drilling/rolling

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

90 minutes drilling/rolling
Lots of drilling. Went over a spinning knee bar from bottom guard when they stand. Right into heel hooks/toe hold/ankle lock alternatives. Also drilled from the closed guard with my partner throwing punches with MMA gloves.

Then did a few rounds with a heavy female, a purple and a brown belt. Crowning achievement of the day was getting a clean judo throw (I wish I knew the name) on the brown belt, who is also a judo black belt.

Man it feels good to be back.

Last edited:
Back