Deadlift
415x3 (3RM PR)

Notes

-Everything felt good. No complaints.

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

30 minutes technique
Brown belt taught omoplata series if the guy stands up in your guard

40 minutes rolling
Did king of the hill from guard then some rounds from the knees. Again still feeling kind of boxed in and tunnel-vision ish lately. Not sure why.

This was my last day at Serra BJJ. Movers come tomorrow and I move to Oklahoma City to continue job training and resume BJJ at Lovato BJJ.

After 6 weeks or so I'll move on to my final destination, Tucson, Arizona. Not sure exactly where I'll train once I get out there but I have my eye on a couple of places.

The journey continues...

The Torah Method

3,200 calories

Upper Volume

Bench
230x5
230x5
230x5
230x4
230x3

Chins
(10)x5

Notes

-Training in Oklahoma powerlifting/bodybuilding gym. Testosterone is everywhere.

-The bars here are thinner I think. Everything felt harder and wobby and I started backing off reps as I didn't have a spotter for the last two sets. Gonna re-attempt 230x5x5 next week.

-May consider going to 3x/week instead of 4. My school schedule is not conducive to being in the gym this much and am crunched for time today.

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

60 minutes drills/technique
Professor Rafael Lovato Jr. taught class full of half a dozen purples and about a dozen blue belts.
We started with basic warm ups then did up and down the mat seo-nagi and single legs. Then drilled sweeps freestyle into passes.
Then Professor Lovato showed a sweep from either half guard or when they are passing your guard with a knee slice and you defend with a top shin and reverse DLR hook w sleeve control--take them over their undefended corner.

30 minutes rolling
Did a weird configuration that's hard to explain. Worked in a group with 2 large blue belts and a big purple belt. We did matches from various positions with a 90 second time limit. Sort of like king of the hill but if you win, you get to rest the rest of the time.

I did well with the guys in my group. I was prettty even with the big purple belt though he had experience on me which showed a little. Tapped the other two guys with an arm bar, guillotine, baseball choke and knee bar but as soon as I spun for the knee bar from half guard Professor Lovato was on me like a hawk and said, "Knee locks are for brown belts and above only." I sheepishly apologized but made a mental note to go for knee bars with every brown belt and above I slap hands with.

Good night of training but this schedule is going to be alll over the fuckin place. Hardly have time to eat and log tonight so I'll wrap it up but will talk more about it later. This is going to be a very very busy 6 weeks.​

Awesome, dude. Downtown Struts are a new one for me, great band. Sounds like OKC is treating you well.

The Torah Method

3,000 calories

Lower Volume

Squat
(225x8)x3
(225x10)x2

Notes

-Decided to switch up the rep ranges today. Was feeling pretty unmotivated to go in the gym.

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

80 minutes technique/drilling
Professor Lovato taught. Did a lottt of drilling, calisthenics and overall physical work. Worked front headlock attacks, butterfly guard sweeps and alternate attacks into triangles and arm drags.

20 minutes rolling
Rolled with Professor Lovato, another black belt and two huge purple belts. Pretty much got destroyed by everyone though Prof let me work a lot.

Exhausted!​

The Torah Method

5,000 calories ++

Upper Intensity

Bench
255x3 (3RM PR)

Chins
+100x5 (5RM PR)
+50x10 (10RM PR)

Notes

-Having weird left-side upper body pains. Shoulder and elbow when doing random things like WASHING MY HANDS--fucking weird. Benching felt really strong today but after my top set the pain set in a little. It's just strange.

-I don't see bench PR's slowing down anytime soon. They've just felt so easy last few weeks.

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

50 minutes technique review
World champion purple belt taught class. At Lovato's they have the most structured curriculum I've ever seen in a BJJ gym. Every student has a notebook they keep with the Jiu-Jitsu University lessons for each belt and stripe level up to blue I think.

This class was a sort of study hall for lower belts to bring their notebooks and ask the instructor to review things before testing. So there was no rolling but this super-fucking good purple belt went over 5 or 6 techniques that the students had questions about. I actually got some really good pointers on things I've struggled with before--especially how to escape the triangle once its locked in and NOT get arm barred in the process with the smash escape. Besides that he also pointed out some stuff with my flower sweep that improved it immediately. We also went over some basic cross collar choke defenses including one I'd never seen before.

So far this has been a great first week of training.

Couple things I didn't have time to mention before is that I lost my mouth guard back in New York and I've been training guard-less. I have an overbite and kind of mouth breathe too much by default so there have been some bad accidents. Tuesday night during rolling I bit my tongue and drew blood. Now it's all swollen and fucked up and it hurts to spit or say certain words. New custom mouth guard is coming in the mail in a few days but unlike a cup, a mouth guard is something I really need for training.

The Torah Method

3,200 calories

Lower Intensity

Squat
350x3 (3RM PR)

Deadlift
420x3 (3RM PR)

Notes

-The 2nd rep of the squat set was one of the scariest ever. My hips moved forward and my entire torso wobbled on the way down. On video it looks bad as shit. As if I almost just buckled under the bar and collapsed like a flexy-straw.

Besides that, no issues​

Just rest today.

I've put on some weight in the past week. Southern food agrees with me way too much.

I wonder how successful it would be to continue the Texas Method in a calorie deficit. I would really hate to change up the program in any big way at the moment since the PR's are coming like motherfuckers and I'm loving the progress. This spare tire that's developing isn't too becoming, though.

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

90 minutes technique/drills
Professor Justin Rader taught class tonight. We did about an hour of calisthenics and drills before starting class with technique. Went over several spider guard sweeps from the knees and from standing, sort of just variations of the same move. Also some details on maintaining a strong sleeve grip and your knuckles on your legs tight so they can't circle their hands around.

30 minutes rolling
Went from spider guard top/bottom with the huge world champ purple belt and a blue belt. Then went from side control top and bottom with a purple belt.
Despite feeling pretty sluggish during the first part of class, I felt pretty good rolling. I actually tapped the huge purple belt with a toe hold from the top when he had his leg lasso in my arm. He got me back afterward with heavy, swift passes on my on spider guard which was mostly ineffective.

Tapped the blue belt with a couple of arm bars and chokes. Then with the purple belt escaped his side control to the ankle attack position but couldn't flatten him out. From the top I tapped him off a scramble with a spinning arm bar. Nice!

Overall feeling not too bad.​

The Torah Method

3,200 calories

Upper Volume

Bench
(185x8)x5 (volume PR)

Chins
(10)x5

Notes

-Everything felt great today despite only 5 hours of sleep.

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

40 minutes technique
Brown belt taught the fundamentals class tonight. I attended specifically to get some basic self-defense stuff brushed up on. Hard to believe it's been years since I've drilled any kind of basic street self-defense techniques.

Anyway, we went over three options off of somebody grabbing you around the neck with their arm from behind. I need to do this stuff a lot more often.

The Torah Method

3,200 calories

Lower Volume

Squat
(230x8)x5 (volume PR)

Notes

-Nothin'

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

90 minutes drills/technique
Too tired to log

20 minutes rolling
My calf cramped up BAD after hitting a nice hip bump sweep. Still hurts :/​

Rest. 2,300 calories

Stay in Oklahoma City so far has been great!

Man, I'm actually driving up to oklahoma with some people for business in a coupla days. wish I had the time to actually go train somewhere lol

Man, I'm actually driving up to oklahoma with some people for business in a coupla days. wish I had the time to actually go train somewhere lol

Dude isn't BJJ your business??

Dude isn't BJJ your business??

Yea, but I'm going up with a few people to visit the Century manufacturing plant to talk to some people and pick up some equipment. And then we gotta drive straight back unfortunately. I doubt I'll have any free time other than grabbing some lunch :(

On the off chance that I do lol, where do you train again? :icon_lol:

Ah gotcha. Yeah I do remember someone telling me that there is a lot of martial arts industry people around here.

Lovato BJJ. PM me if you have time and can train or grab a beer

The Torah Method

3,200 calories

Upper Intensity

Bench
260x2 (2RM PR)

Chins
+100x5
+55x10 (10RM PR)

Notes

-Failed 3rd rep with 260. I think it was just a bad day. Will re-attempt next week.

-Misloaded the first set of chins--should have been 105. The 10-rep set felt great.​

The google doc of your training history is awesome. I wish I'd tracked that closely when I started.

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

60 minutes drills/technique
Purple belt taught. Did a lot of movement drills then went over half guard series with the overhook, if they whizzer, sweep and if they base take the back etc etc. Good stuff.

10 minutes rolling
Only a blue belt stayed to roll with me so we did a few rounds. The skill disparity was deep enough that I felt my jiu-jitsu was being done as a beautiful art form. Actually, I don't know if this is due to a skill disparity but it felt like I had a blank canvas and just let my body take me where it wanted to go. Felt in flow.​

Ah gotcha. Yeah I do remember someone telling me that there is a lot of martial arts industry people around here.

Lovato BJJ. PM me if you have time and can train or grab a beer

Well the trip got cancelled last minute, the factory had to shut down part of it or something temporarily so bleh. Whatever lol. Maybe some other day i'll make it up there for a weekend to train. :cool:

Back