Abel Sanchez on African American Fighters

TownBiz

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
So, for some reason, which remains a mystery to me, Abel Sanchez felt he had to state his opinions about african american fighters....using floyd as his example, Ole Abe says says that the african american style of boxing is "not pleasing" to fans. That fans "don't want to see the sweet science...they want to see somebody get hurt"

Then Abe went on Dontaesboxingnation radio show to explain his comments...saying that what he really meant to say is, the personalities of black fighters "outside" the ring don't draw fans... then abel went back to using paulie malignaggi as the "example" of the african american style of fighting...

so, aside from the fact that paulie ISN'T black, so using him as your primary example of an african american boxing style is pretty retarded, it's also true that floyd has the top 5 of the top 10 biggest ppv numbers in history...so to say fans don't want to see him because his style is not pleasing, makes abel look like the biggest trump supporter in the world.

but more to the point, there is NO such thing as an african american style...that would be like saying thurman, brerto, crawford, spence, tim bradley, shawn porter, lamont peterson, jermell charlo, j-rock williams and jarrett hurd all fightin the same style...or that they fight like paulie or floyd...which if you know boxing, , just aint true....

So what do y'all think is really up with abel?

Aparentley he's never seen Deontay Wilder or Mike Tyson fight. :D There are a fair share of cerebral black fighters, but the styles vary quite substantially among them. I don't really think it's fair to generalize them as having a certain style.

In fairness, this isn't really a whole lot dumber than saying there is something that you can coherently call the "Mexican style" (there really isn't), and a lot of people like to do that.

In fairness, this isn't really a whole lot dumber than saying there is something that you can coherently call the "Mexican style" (there really isn't), and a lot of people like to do that.
it's not the same thing...there IS such a thing as "mexican style"...and mexicans themselves tend to extoll the fact that they have a certain, particular approach to boxing....not ALL mexicans fight the same, it's true...but mexican fighters, whether we're talking leo santa cruz, erik morales, jcc sr, margarito, salido, castillo, juan diaz, brandon rios, victor ortiz, antonio demarco or omar figueroa...and i goes way back to old-time mexican fighters like vicente saldivar, reuben olivares, carlos zarate, etc...sure, they have had some mexicans such as juan manuel marquez or oscar delahoya and even canelo and mikey garcia who fight more of a classical style...but the fact the MAJORITY of mexicans fight a certain way explains the use of the term "mexican-style"...

on the other hand, look at the last 10 black/african american hw champs.....with the possible exception of ali and holmes, none of them fight/fought in the same style.

All this comes down to Sanchez not wanting to put GGG in there with certain fighters in his division.

Same thing when Freddie Roach said "black fighters don't sell" after being asked about Crawford/Pacquiao. Yet Pacquiaos biggest fight was against a black fighter. Its just an excuse.

Not really. Many Mexicans do have that style. You rarely see Mexican fighters fighting any different. African Americans have a wide variety of styles like Floyd, Hearns, Hagler, Robinson, Tyson, Ali, Spence, Crawford etc. Its almost seems like Abel is commenting based off Floyd and Ward. Like me saying all Ukrainians clinch based off Postol and Klitschko.

Also most people talk about the Mexican style in a positive way. Abel is talking about African American boxers in a negative way.

it's not the same thing...there IS such a thing as "mexican style"...and mexicans themselves tend to extoll the fact that they have a certain, particular approach to boxing....not ALL mexicans fight the same, it's true...but mexican fighters, whether we're talking leo santa cruz, erik morales, jcc sr, margarito, salido, castillo, juan diaz, brandon rios, victor ortiz, antonio demarco or omar figueroa...and i goes way back to old-time mexican fighters like vicente saldivar, reuben olivares, carlos zarate, etc...sure, they have had some mexicans such as juan manuel marquez or oscar delahoya and even canelo and mikey garcia who fight more of a classical style...but the fact the MAJORITY of mexicans fight a certain way explains the use of the term "mexican-style"...

on the other hand, look at the last 10 black/african american hw champs.....with the possible exception of ali and holmes, none of them fight/fought in the same style.

There is a ton of variation in style among the fighters you listed.

Not really. Many Mexicans do have that style. You rarely see Mexican fighters fighting any different. African Americans have a wide variety of styles like Floyd, Hearns, Hagler, Robinson, Tyson, Ali, Spence, Crawford etc. Its almost seems like Abel is commenting based off Floyd and Ward. Like me saying all Ukrainians clinch based off Postol and Klitschko.

Also most people talk about the Mexican style in a positive way. Abel is talking about African American boxers in a negative way.

I agree that what Sanchez is saying is dumb (pretty much everything Sanchez says is stupid), but there is way more stylistic variation among Mexican fighters than people like to acknowledge. Filing them all under the category of "Mexican style" tends to be just as simplistic as lumping black American fighters into one category.

it's not the same thing...there IS such a thing as "mexican style"...and mexicans themselves tend to extoll the fact that they have a certain, particular approach to boxing...

But the Mexican style approach is more of an attitude than actual fighting style. It seems to refer to being fearless, having grit, being willing to exchange, and machismo. But stylistically, there's really no similarity across the board. You can show those traits within pretty much any style.

I agree that what Sanchez is saying is dumb (pretty much everything Sanchez says is stupid), but there is way more stylistic variation among Mexican fighters than people like to acknowledge. Filing them all under the category of "Mexican style" tends to be just as simplistic as lumping black American fighters into one category.
there's variation between all fighters because all fighters are individuals and are gonna do things a little different. what we're talking about when it comes to the "mexican style" is a GENERAL tendency to move TOWARD the opponent, sacrifice defense for the sake of offense and overwhelming the opponent with aggression and attrition, taking pride in the ability to absorb punishment and dish it out till the stronger man prevails. there are variation with certain fighters...for example lsc throws a LOT of punches...jcc was more about timing and combination punching...castillo tended to be a rhythm fighter...they're not identical. but they all have a simillar approach and mindset which is to get walk through fire and get inside to break the other guy down. that's not a stereotype...it's a reality embraced by mexican fighters and fans a like and reflects something about their culture and how they see themselves....and it's not to say that 100% of mexicans fight the same way...in fact, there's many that don't...but to say the mexican style is not real is just basically denying relality....i can see you're trying to be fair...but just bcause there's no "african american style" or no "caucasian style" or no "asian style doesn't mean that we should say there's no mexican style.

Last edited:
But the Mexican style approach is more of an attitude than actual fighting style. It seems to refer to being fearless, having grit, being willing to exchange, and machismo. But stylistically, there's really no similarity across the board. You can show those traits within pretty much any style.
those qualities you listed apply to pretty much every nationality of fighter....fighters are by nature macho...even if they don't tell you to your face something like" "i'm macho", in their heart and minds they believe they have it in them to be the best, baddest, toughest sob's out there... when it comes to mexican fighters, it's about eschewing defense...standing toe-to-toe and warring it out in a bloodbath. the left hook to the liver...they won't all fight the exact same, but the similarities are much greater than the differences which is what makes the style identifiable as "mexican style".

Aparentley he's never seen Deontay Wilder or Mike Tyson fight. :D There are a fair share of cerebral black fighters, but the styles vary quite substantially among them. I don't really think it's fair to generalize them as having a certain style.

First thing I thought of when I read this; there are so many different styles amongst African American fighters that this view is a bit of a nonsense. Compare Errol Spence with Bernard Hopkins, compared to Shawn Porter with Terrence Crawford. They all have different styles.

those qualities you listed apply to pretty much every nationality of fighter....fighters are by nature macho...even if they don't tell you to your face something like" "i'm macho", in their heart and minds they believe they have it in them to be the best, baddest, toughest sob's out there... when it comes to mexican fighters, it's about eschewing defense...standing toe-to-toe and warring it out in a bloodbath. the left hook to the liver...they won't all fight the exact same, but the similarities are much greater than the differences which is what makes the style identifiable as "mexican style".

That's the thing though, I do not think most Mexican fighters intentionally refrain from using defense. I also don't think they necessarily go in looking for a bloodbath, or a war. What Mexican fighters fall into that category to you?

That's the thing though, I do not think most Mexican fighters intentionally refrain from using defense. I also don't think they necessarily go in looking for a bloodbath, or a war. What Mexican fighters fall into that category to you?
i can name a few...salido, brandon rios, castillo, omar figueroa, lsc, antonio demarco, molina, margarito, soto-karass...just for starters....some like jcc had more defense, but still fought that seek and destroy style that mexicans are known for.

I know it's kinda become a thing now to deny the mexican style and pretend like it doesn't/never existed...esp after canelo-ggg I. but come on, dude..there's only too many fighters that fall into that category. which is not to say it's a bad thing....in fact, it's sometning that mexicans themselves promoted...until canelo was criticized by mexican fans for not being macho enough in the ggg fight when canelo adopted a more defensively responsible approach...now it's all like "it shouldn't matter where you come from, your style is your style"...and i agree 100%. and i also think that in most cases mexican fighters generally have adopted a style that is distinctive them as a group.

You can be white and have an African American style, or a Mexican style, or a Cuban style.

The term "African American style" is the same kind or thing as "Jewish mother". Any women no matter what ethnicity or religion can be categorised as such. Some people might even refer to a male as a "Jewish mother". The same thing applies here when Abe says "African American style". It is analogy and categorisation what he is doing basically.

Back