Abel Sanchez on African American Fighters

You can be white and have an African American style, or a Mexican style, or a Cuban style.

The term "African American style" is the same kind or thing as "Jewish mother". Any women no matter what ethnicity or religion can be categorised as such. Some people might even refer to a male as a "Jewish mother". The same thing applies here when Abe says "African American style". It is analogy and categorisation what he is doing basically.
can you be black and have an asian style such as korean or japanese...or be mexican and have a white style? how would you categorise those styles?

Its OK because he's not white.

Where's Cain at when this guy needs to be slapped around for saying dumb shit?

Really I gotta be the first guy to make that shitty joke? You guys disappoint me. Self Proclaimed Best Boxing Forum Poster going on 5 years if you guys don't step your game up. Just sayin.

can you be black and have an asian style such as korean or japanese...or be mexican and have a white style? how would you categorise those styles?
If there is such a thing in the world as a Japanese or Korean style then anyone who fights in that style will be categorised as such. We categorise so we can retrieve things in our minds more efficiently. Some experts say that thinking is analogy making and categorisation.

i can name a few...salido, brandon rios, castillo, omar figueroa, lsc, antonio demarco, molina, margarito, soto-karass...just for starters....some like jcc had more defense, but still fought that seek and destroy style that mexicans are known for.

I know it's kinda become a thing now to deny the mexican style and pretend like it doesn't/never existed...esp after canelo-ggg I.

It's not because of GGG vs Canelo, this conversation has been had for years on this forum and there have always been a group of us that don't really see the "Mexican style" as being much of a style at all.

For example, you just listed Antonio DeMarco as having the same "Mexican style" as Brandon Rios. I do not think DeMarco and Brandon Rios share a similar fighting style unless we are speaking in incredibly broad terms.

If an african american fighter had a style where they were really tall and upright, very springy with in and out movement from a wide bladed stance and mostly threw straight punches then they might be described as having a european style of fighting. GGG is half white half asian from an Eastern bloc country and has a 'mexican' style. You can get crossovers.

And styles can be broken down even further into gyms, the Kronk for years had it's own imitable style, the Ingle gym in Sheffield has a history of putting out fighters with a very specific style of fighting.

I think the confusion is the "style" part of it. There's been many great Mexican fighters with very different styles, I think "mindset" is a more accurate term. Mexicans are tough bastards, no matter their style they have a reputation for not being squeamish when shit gets real, and for good reason.

In fairness, this isn't really a whole lot dumber than saying there is something that you can coherently call the "Mexican style" (there really isn't), and a lot of people like to do that.
I think there is a mexican style. Chavez typified it and lots of people try to copy it.

I consider the Margs, Soto Karass, Jose Luis Ramirez style to be more Mexican style than Chavez, tbh. That kind of drape themselves over you and throw 1000 punches type of deal is something I've always considered Mexican style, if anything. JCC was much more measured and technical. That being said I agree there's really no one style to call "Mexican."

However I've wondered this for a longtime so I'd pose this to the other guys here: Is it just me or are there a dearth of southpaws from Mexico compared to boxers from other countries out there? JLR was a southpaw and it's not like they don't exist, but for the amount of great Mexican fighters, there seems to be less southpaws than normal, even for southpaws which are obviously in the minority to begin with. I don't know if this is true or not, obv, just an observation, but I always thought that the left hook, esp to the body, is such a time honored tradition that if you're left handed it just makes it easier to land that punch with even more devastation than normal.

Maybe that's a stupid theory but it's stuck out to me for awhile. Same with Cubans and them seemingly having so many great southpaws compared to the rest of the world. @Marc A or any other Mexican dudes here might have better insight than most....

I consider the Margs, Soto Karass, Jose Luis Ramirez style to be more Mexican style than Chavez, tbh. That kind of drape themselves over you and throw 1000 punches type of deal is something I've always considered Mexican style, if anything. JCC was much more measured and technical. That being said I agree there's really no one style to call "Mexican."

However I've wondered this for a longtime so I'd pose this to the other guys here: Is it just me or are there a dearth of southpaws from Mexico compared to boxers from other countries out there? JLR was a southpaw and it's not like they don't exist, but for the amount of great Mexican fighters, there seems to be less southpaws than normal, even for southpaws which are obviously in the minority to begin with. I don't know if this is true or not, obv, just an observation, but I always thought that the left hook, esp to the body, is such a time honored tradition that if you're left handed it just makes it easier to land that punch with even more devastation than normal.

Maybe that's a stupid theory but it's stuck out to me for awhile. Same with Cubans and them seemingly having so many great southpaws compared to the rest of the world. @Marc A or any other Mexican dudes here might have better insight than most....
I bet all of those guys (Margarito for a certainty) would say their biggest influence was Chavez.

Feels like tradition.
Rude but true.

That being said you might just be jealous of me being the self proclaimed best boxing forum poster 4 years running, beating you out by millions of votes btw. If you stepped your shitty joke game up, then maybe you could beat me out for the Title this year? Probably not but a man can always dream.....

I bet all of those guys (Margarito for a certainty) would say their biggest influence was Chavez.
You think Jose Luis Ramirez's biggest influence was JCC, Seano?

Rude but true.

That being said you might just be jealous of me being the self proclaimed best boxing forum poster 4 years running, beating you out by millions of votes btw. If you stepped your shitty joke game up, then maybe you could beat me out for the Title this year? Probably not but a man can always dream.....
Less than 5000 likes-

<DisgustingHHH>

YOu are confused because you think every black has to ha e black sryle and every mexican mexi style. In fact juat as many blacks like rock music or the hobbit many will have different boxing styles. That doesnt mean there are not general trends. Abel just said basically they fight more defensive. It makes sense to me.

I'm thinking of a different Jose Luis. Not Castillo. WTF, can't remember.

*Lopez
This wasn't right either. I confused Jose Luis Ramirez with Jose Luis Gonzalez for some reason. Racism most likely.

Back