Abel Sanchez on African American Fighters

Less than 5000 likes-

<DisgustingHHH>

You better love your fellow Sapien Seano. The Ennui does not bode well for you. I need you to be beautiful to us all.

Are you boxing fans so sensitive that you don’t know what he’s saying?
There’s a European style. And there’s a white guy style.
You all know this.
Obviously not everybody falls into those categories but don’t be so pussified that you can’t understand what he’s saying.

I don’t know anything about dancing but if I were to dance I would be judged as dancing like a white guy.
Then I would have hurt feelings and I’d come to the boxing forum for emotional support.

All this comes down to Sanchez not wanting to put GGG in there with certain fighters in his division.

Same thing when Freddie Roach said "black fighters don't sell" after being asked about Crawford/Pacquiao. Yet Pacquiaos biggest fight was against a black fighter. Its just an excuse.

hahahahahahahahaa what?!

You serious? I hope you're not basing this on history. Golovkin fought everybody. All his mandatories. Chased after champs when he was the mandatory. And now he's got some paydays locked in against Caneo and GGG's doesn't want to fight somebody? Are you for real? Golovkin will retire after the Canelo fights because he won't need to fight, barring a unification from BJS (if he remembers his pen). If he retires then, who can criticize the guy. He'll be an even older man by then.

Sounds like you just don't like Golovkin.

I don't agree with what Roach said in your comment. I think some fighters sell and some don't and it isn't because of colour.

I think generally there are regional styles to fighting, but it is nothing more than confirmation bias and selecting what you want to see.

A hundred years ago there was an east coast (more prototypical boxers: Loughran, Tunney, Leonard, Jack Johnson) and a west coast (more come forward scrappers - Dempsey, Tuffy Griffiths, Baer). But even then, there are gaps in this rule as fighters like Harry Greb fought out of Pittsburgh. There certainly wasn't a "black" style back then either. Any time someone says, "wait, here's one!" there's another boxer of the same race or nationality that proves the opposite.

A case can be made for a Mexican style, but if I list off all of Mexico's best fighters, they don't have that much in common. Look at De La Hoya, Chavez, Morales, Barrera, Marquez. There isn't a single clear and present skillset there, but we get the general impression that Mexican fighters come forward. I think overall there might be something there, but I think it's a false stereotype at the highest level.

And the belief that black boxers have a distinct style is garbage as well. Mike Tyson, Ray Leonard, Hurricane Carter, and Muhammad Ali all disprove this.

Where's the Jewish style? There really isn't one. What about the Italian style? A bunch seemed to embody the 'mexican style,' but there are more than a few that were prototypical boxers.

At the end of the day, the best fighters come from poverty, have the right mindset, and are brought along by their team. That can be ANY colour.

Region determines style more than anything, but it also kinda doesn't. Also, colour and race are bullshit when it comes to giving a fighter a style.

Sounds like you just don't like Golovkin.
Stop getting defensive and jumping to conclusions. This is about Abels comments. Not GGG.

You serious? I hope you're not basing this on history. Golovkin fought everybody. All his mandatories. Chased after champs when he was the mandatory. And now he's got some paydays locked in against Caneo and GGG's doesn't want to fight somebody? Are you for real? Golovkin will retire after the Canelo fights because he won't need to fight, barring a unification from BJS (if he remembers his pen). If he retires then, who can criticize the guy. He'll be an even older man by then.
The only good fighters he has fought is Canelo, Jacobs and a smaller Kell Brook. The rest of his competition has been pretty weak although it wasn't necessarily his thought. Today fighters like Jermall Charlo, Demetrius Andrade and even Jacobs have called GGG out and that's why we got that response from Abel. No other reason why he would make such an ignorant generalizing comment.

There is no black American style of fighting.

Just a nonsensically disparaging comment with no basis in reality (unlike the "Mexican style" mindset) if you ask me.

If there is such a thing in the world as a Japanese or Korean style then anyone who fights in that style will be categorised as such. We categorise so we can retrieve things in our minds more efficiently. Some experts say that thinking is analogy making and categorisation.
so, how do you categorise the black style?...according to your previous post, there' such a thing. how is it different from the white style?

YOu are confused because you think every black has to ha e black sryle and every mexican mexi style. In fact juat as many blacks like rock music or the hobbit many will have different boxing styles. That doesnt mean there are not general trends. Abel just said basically they fight more defensive. It makes sense to me.
so, you're saying crawford, thurman, spence, porter, berto, bradley and peterson fight defensive? or are you just defending abel's stupidness for another reason?

Stop getting defensive and jumping to conclusions. This is about Abels comments. Not GGG.

The only good fighters he has fought is Canelo, Jacobs and a smaller Kell Brook. The rest of his competition has been pretty weak although it wasn't necessarily his thought. Today fighters like Jermall Charlo, Demetrius Andrade and even Jacobs have called GGG out and that's why we got that response from Abel. No other reason why he would make such an ignorant generalizing comment.
GGG won't fight any of them dudes...let's face it...jacobs beat ggg's ass...and t wasn't even that close. Charlo would probably knock ggg out and his camp knows it...andrade, once he gets accustomed to the weight and with another fight or two at mw would have a good shot at beating ggg too...

ggg ran from lara and ward.

ggg wanted floyd at 154...then abel complains that canelo fought like floyd...hmmm.

the more i think about it, the more I understand where abel's really coming from with his comments

I consider the Margs, Soto Karass, Jose Luis Ramirez style to be more Mexican style than Chavez, tbh. That kind of drape themselves over you and throw 1000 punches type of deal is something I've always considered Mexican style, if anything. JCC was much more measured and technical. That being said I agree there's really no one style to call "Mexican."

However I've wondered this for a longtime so I'd pose this to the other guys here: Is it just me or are there a dearth of southpaws from Mexico compared to boxers from other countries out there? JLR was a southpaw and it's not like they don't exist, but for the amount of great Mexican fighters, there seems to be less southpaws than normal, even for southpaws which are obviously in the minority to begin with. I don't know if this is true or not, obv, just an observation, but I always thought that the left hook, esp to the body, is such a time honored tradition that if you're left handed it just makes it easier to land that punch with even more devastation than normal.

Maybe that's a stupid theory but it's stuck out to me for awhile. Same with Cubans and them seemingly having so many great southpaws compared to the rest of the world. @Marc A or any other Mexican dudes here might have better insight than most....
That's a hell of a question, and really don't know

It could be the lack of top south paw trainers combined with most idol level fighters influencing a certain stance
El hígado would be more vulnerable southpaw?

Damn now I have to ask some of my more knowledgeable friends

Are you boxing fans so sensitive that you don’t know what he’s saying?
There’s a European style. And there’s a white guy style.
You all know this.
Obviously not everybody falls into those categories but don’t be so pussified that you can’t understand what he’s saying.

I don’t know anything about dancing but if I were to dance I would be judged as dancing like a white guy.
Then I would have hurt feelings and I’d come to the boxing forum for emotional support.

What people are saying is that they're categories which fall apart as soon as you actually examine them (which makes them pointless categories).

Not defensive, just sounds like you don't have much of an opinion about him - even if you didn't outright say it.

Andrade is so hot and cold you can't count on him. What has he done to merit such fanfare? There's a lot of credit being extended to what he could do but he hasn't performed in a way that matches these opinions. And he is so inconsistent, I forget Andrade even exists. Jacobs would have to bat 1000 again to maybe pull off a close fight, but everything went right in his first camp. And I'm glad it did. Helluva fight against GGG. What about Charlo? Untested at MW, beat a guy with a broken leg, and can't fight at anything but one range at the end of his jab. But yeah, there's real fear there for sure. I give Jacobs tons of credit. He is probably the most realistic for a win but he already lost so he's gotta mix it up with other guys in the mean time. Fight Charlo for that interim belt he'll get for fighting a soft puncher in Centeno.

They are all calling him out cuz they know he's locked in right now, is getting older, and they hope to make money off him once he gets more popular if he can get through canelo a second time. Thats why they are calling him out. Its a safe move for them. Nothing to lose.

You bit onto something and went with it. None of the above are even remote possibilities for at least a year at best. And you seem pretty sure they will roll an established, unified middleweight champ.

Charlo just got to the weight and Andrade has been doing nothing at a lower weight for awhile. Golovkin beats both clearly, anyway. I agree that a lot of Golovkin's competition has been mediocre, but that's more the shittiness of the division (for the last number of years, anyway, it's gotten better as of late), not Golovkin avoiding anyone.

so, you're saying crawford, thurman, spence, porter, berto, bradley and peterson fight defensive? or are you just defending abel's stupidness for another reason?
MY post said in it black fighters dont all fight black style. Also berto has a carribean background so he could also have a strong caribean style.

GGG won't fight any of them dudes...let's face it...jacobs beat ggg's ass...and t wasn't even that close. Charlo would probably knock ggg out and his camp knows it...andrade, once he gets accustomed to the weight and with another fight or two at mw would have a good shot at beating ggg too...

ggg ran from lara and ward.

ggg wanted floyd at 154...then abel complains that canelo fought like floyd...hmmm.

the more i think about it, the more I understand where abel's really coming from with his comments
wow, this is some incredibly stupid shit. you must be breaking some kind of record here on the density of stupid in a single post.

That's a hell of a question, and really don't know

It could be the lack of top south paw trainers combined with most idol level fighters influencing a certain stance
El hígado would be more vulnerable southpaw?

Damn now I have to ask some of my more knowledgeable friends
thanks man, yeah I could be off on it just seems like you guys have a ton of great fighters and almost all of them are orthodox, it might just be b/c we're mostly right handed than left but decided to ask to see if anyone else noticed that. Love me some Jose Luis Ramirez tho, as you know great Mexican southpaw.

So, for some reason, which remains a mystery to me, Abel Sanchez felt he had to state his opinions about african american fighters....using floyd as his example, Ole Abe says says that the african american style of boxing is "not pleasing" to fans. That fans "don't want to see the sweet science...they want to see somebody get hurt"

Then Abe went on Dontaesboxingnation radio show to explain his comments...saying that what he really meant to say is, the personalities of black fighters "outside" the ring don't draw fans... then abel went back to using paulie malignaggi as the "example" of the african american style of fighting...

so, aside from the fact that paulie ISN'T black, so using him as your primary example of an african american boxing style is pretty retarded, it's also true that floyd has the top 5 of the top 10 biggest ppv numbers in history...so to say fans don't want to see him because his style is not pleasing, makes abel look like the biggest trump supporter in the world.

but more to the point, there is NO such thing as an african american style...that would be like saying thurman, brerto, crawford, spence, tim bradley, shawn porter, lamont peterson, jermell charlo, j-rock williams and jarrett hurd all fightin the same style...or that they fight like paulie or floyd...which if you know boxing, , just aint true....

So what do y'all think is really up with abel?

this is going to go good for him. he'll get plenty of pubic support.

So, for some reason, which remains a mystery to me, Abel Sanchez felt he had to state his opinions about african american fighters....using floyd as his example, Ole Abe says says that the african american style of boxing is "not pleasing" to fans. That fans "don't want to see the sweet science...they want to see somebody get hurt"

Then Abe went on Dontaesboxingnation radio show to explain his comments...saying that what he really meant to say is, the personalities of black fighters "outside" the ring don't draw fans... then abel went back to using paulie malignaggi as the "example" of the african american style of fighting...

so, aside from the fact that paulie ISN'T black, so using him as your primary example of an african american boxing style is pretty retarded, it's also true that floyd has the top 5 of the top 10 biggest ppv numbers in history...so to say fans don't want to see him because his style is not pleasing, makes abel look like the biggest trump supporter in the world.

but more to the point, there is NO such thing as an african american style...that would be like saying thurman, brerto, crawford, spence, tim bradley, shawn porter, lamont peterson, jermell charlo, j-rock williams and jarrett hurd all fightin the same style...or that they fight like paulie or floyd...which if you know boxing, , just aint true....

So what do y'all think is really up with abel?

Paulie isn't black ??

Well he's American / Italian so...

<puh-lease75> .

Back