Social Zombie Deer Disease Reaches Yellowstone, Fears Raised That It May Jump To Humans

Are we sure there are enough? They're doing great things.

<{Heymansnicker}>
I-Think-You-can-Trust-Me-gif-Giphy.gif

Slightly off topic, but I think the degrading of hunting culture is tied to the newer rules state to state. They say there needs to be a new generation of hunters, then you clear cut, kill anything that moves via baiting and blind hunting on farms, leaving a diminished ecosystem from which to cull and hunt, so even if you got the younger ppl to join, it's going to be a difficult entry for the youth of the day, not to mention the hunting dropouts. CWD might be tied to the former, too. Something to think about...maybe.

As a landowner of some very prime hunting land, deer hunters over the years have become worse. I've had buildings shot, I've watched hunting parties go right through my yard, I've had gut piles left in the yard, trash left over my land, fences torn down, roads get destroyed, etc.
I've gone from not posting my land, to posting and letting anyone that asks, to being very selective, and now I refuse just about everyone. Other people have caused enough headaches over the years, it's just worth it anymore. Kids are the exception to the rule, I'll always let a kid shoot a deer, and I can usually help them get a pretty decent first buck.

Any backstory about the pond with the weird orange sand?

That's the Grand Prismatic Spring! It's the largest hot spring in the United States (third largest in the world) and probably the most kaleidoscopic to be found anywhere on the planet. The orange "sand" is part of its extensive microbial mat. Yellowstone also has both the world's tallest active geyser (Steamboat) and the most reliably predictable (Old Faithful). I mean, it is a supervolcano with half of the entire world's hydrothermal features outright concentrated within the park's grounds.

The geothermal activity alone makes it objectively one of the most amazing and unique places in the world. And that's still only half the draw for a lot of people because its lush forests, hills, valleys, lakes, and rivers provide not only a beautiful natural setting to experience for outdoor recreation but the foundation of an immaculately well preserved ecosystem for what is the equivalent of North America's Serengeti for wildlife: from majestic peregrine falcons and bald eagles to massive elk, moose, and herds of bison to bobcats, wolverines, gray wolves, and grizzly bears.

Nature's way of culling the herd. Problem is, people have removed most of the deer and elk predators resulting in inflated the populations of those animals for people to hunt.

Back